2%
100-105kg
No votes
105-110kg
No votes

Total votes : 41

Re: Ideal weight for racing (road)?

Postby ve safari » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 am

Oh, and I'd like to put my hand up and head out for an FPR ride in a couple of weeks too if that's OK. Should be interesting (and humbling!)

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!
ve safari

by BNA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am

BNA

Postby rogan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am

Reason behind my question is that I have been justifying my lack of speed upon my weight (177cm, 102kg). I also kind of expected that in order to be remotely competitive in C grade would need to be around the 75-80kg mark. I was reading a post of Twizzle's I think the other day and he mentioned that he is 100kg+, and in B grade. (Bravo BTW, fantastic!).

Depending on your body shape and how you train, the amount of riding you need to do to lose weight should see you competitive in C Grade at club level, well before you get down to 80 kg. All shapes and sizes can win a club C Grade race.

I'm 188 cm (6'2") and was nearly that height by the time I was 18. I raced from when I was 18 till I was 22 in the early 1990s. Throughout that time I weighed 60 kg or so. At my best I was racing Club A Grade and Open B Grade. Needless to say I was somewhat underpowered when the heat was on, but could ride most ppl off my wheel up hills. Lowest I ever weighed myself in that time was 57 kg (end of a long training ride - BMI a ridiculous 16.1). 60 kg was not an unhealthy weight even at that height (for me at that time, I should add), but neither was it really an ideal weight for racing. I was eating whatever I wanted in large quantities throughout this era. I just didn't put on weight...

These days (I'm in my late 30s) I'm 80 kg (down from 95 kg 3-4 years ago). I reckon I get close to or even exceed (in small bursts only - I'm not as fit as I was) the power I used to be able to put out, and I can still climb. My target weight would be around 72 kg. Realistically, I'm not getting below 70 kg, and realistically, I wouldn't need to. At 72 kg I reckon there would no reason CONSIDERING WEIGHT ALONE why I could not race at the level I rode in the early 90s (slightly worse up hills, slightly better on the flat and in a headwind). Of course, fitness, age, and time to pump out the longer miles do place limits around the real likelihood of that actually occurring, even if I do get to the low 70s in weight.

My weight is fairly steady these days. I have to eat well to ride well. Even then I often get hungry out on the road. But the one thing I can see and feel is that when I cut down the alcohol, I can lose weight.
rogan

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm in Dural, so have ridden all the local climbs (as I'm sure others have as well).

Galston is quite steep on the Crosslands Road side (if you are climbing back to Galston), going to Hornsby is a good steady climb and not too steep, the road is pretty good going up to Hornsby. The climbs at Berowra (I've only done the Dural side) is quite troublesome in sections as you've just done the decent to the Ferry and sat idle for a while before you get going again, its not as hard as the Galston side of the gorge but isn't far off it. Bobbin Head, has a steep side which is probably far too steep and a low side which isn't too bad.

Personally I do most of my riding for hills out at Akuna Bay and West Head, good mixture of roads and climbs, its in a National Park (so no cars) and the road is great to West Head. The Akuna East side is probably the one to do, its 2.67 km (so shorter than the Galston climbs) and about 4.5%. Your probably better off IMO starting out on a steady climb with a slightly lower gradient and getting used to climbing, they all hurt regardless of the gradient.

If I may suggest, check your rear cassette as well, it could be worthwhile going to something with easier gearing. I ride a 12-27 which I bet most people here ride a 12-23 or 25, for me its what works and I find I always have enough gearing to get up the hill at a decent cadence.
1q2w3e4r

Postby Chuck » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:19 am

ve safari wrote:Oh, and I'd like to put my hand up and head out for an FPR ride in a couple of weeks too if that's OK. Should be interesting (and humbling!)

Be good to see you out there Eyman. You ride faster in a group, just sit on somewhere and enjoy the tow :D . Seriously though the FPR ride only gets lit up a few times along the way and there are stops to regroup. Most of it is good tempo, I think you'll surprise yourself :wink:
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby drubie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 am

ve safari wrote:Now do I need to get a giant cup of HTFU because I really have no excuse based on weight alone, or is there more to it?

Just something to chew on:

I'm 186cm or so, weighed 93kg at my worst at the start of last year. Started training and racing (C grade is the lowest grade here) and it was the racing that seemed to tear the most weight off.

I reckon I was racing better at 83kg than I currently am at 79-80kg, although I'd probably rather be 75kg. I've been trying to keep an eye on muscle mass using a tape measure around the thighs and arms and been maintaining size there while dropping waist band sizes, but there does seem to be a point where the weight loss is a bit counter productive. What I do like is seeing the abs for the first time in my life, ever. That rocks - I'm in better shape at 42 than I ever was at 22.

Having said that, the last couple of weeks when I've fallen in a hole I haven't been training enough and I'm hoping that it was just a little form slump rather than a big problem. I really like the lower body weight on climbs - much less fatigue involved and faster recovery.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Previous

Return to Training