100-105kg
No votes
105-110kg
No votes

Total votes: 41
ve safari

Ideal weight for racing (road)?

Postby ve safari » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Is there such a think as an ideal weight for racing? Even looking at the Pro-peloton it's apparent there are many different builds and body types. So what is a good "all round" weight to target?

Reason behind my question is that I have been justifying my lack of speed upon my weight (177cm, 102kg). I also kind of expected that in order to be remotely competitive in C grade would need to be around the 75-80kg mark. I was reading a post of Twizzle's I think the other day and he mentioned that he is 100kg+, and in B grade. (Bravo BTW, fantastic!).

Now do I need to get a giant cup of HTFU because I really have no excuse based on weight alone, or is there more to it?

Does that make sense?

Would be interested in the collective opinion here.

thanks!

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

Ant.

Re: Ideal weight for racing (road)?

Postby Ant. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:26 pm

-2kg is always race weight :lol:

No seriously, a BMI of 20 and under is probably climber-extraordinaire territory. Somewhere between 20 and 25 seems to fit the bill for most non pros.

addit: Just to open your eyes: I am 4cm shorter than you and forty kilos less. You have weight to lose :)
Last edited by Ant. on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

othy

Postby othy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 pm

As little as possible without losing any power.

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Ant. wrote:-2kg is always race weight :lol:

No seriously, a BMI of 20 and under is probably climber-extraordinaire territory. Somewhere between 20 and 25 seems to fit the bill for most non pros.
Dayum. 177cm and 70kg equates to a BM! of 22. :shock: I'm not even halfway there yet?!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 pm

When people are buying your partner cook books and telling you and your partner that you need to eat more, then you're probably getting close. When you've got that sick look like you're a drug user or got some fatal illness...
I'm glad those days are behind me. I'm about 81Kg at the moment and was 68Kg when racing (BMI 22.6).

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Yup...BMI 20-25 should see you good...also depends where you race.
Big boys can rock the crits...but will suck in hilly opens.
Bettini to Magnus....nearly 40 kilos difference between them...still amazing riders.But Maggie was a bit of a freak power wise.
You will struggle to find a euro pro over 85kgs....even at 2meters :lol: .

orphic

Postby orphic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:19 am

I think it's probably better to go off body fat percentage instead of BMI or a total weight target.

When your body fat is getting down the lower range of what is recommended, then you're looking good. Until then, you're carrying excess flab that is slowing you down.

If you're going to start losing weight then you should keep a record of your weight and how you are performing. Nothing is going to tell you what your ideal race weight is like actually being at it and performing better than you ever have before!

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 am

You forgot the sub 60kg category. Seriously!

Alberto Contador is 1.76m and 61kgs
Fabian Cancellara is 1.86m and 80kgs

Me 1.72m and 67kgs. Can't sprint or time trial but can climb a bit.

I'll let you work out the rest.

There are other aspects you need to consider other than just weight. These include:
- power to weight
- lactate thresholds
- VO2
- ability to suffer

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:06 pm

train hard, eat smart,

maybe have a look at the weight/height chart in Michelle Bridges Book.

Im 182.5 cms and 72 kgs
when do we stop for coffee???

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm 177 cm and 60-61 kilos depending on the day and dinner the night before :lol:

It's a lot easier for some to loose 5 kg and maintain power than for me to find 30-40 watts.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm

1q2w3e4r wrote:I'm 177 cm and 60-61 kilos depending on the day and dinner the night before :lol:

It's a lot easier for some to loose 5 kg and maintain power than for me to find 30-40 watts.
There is WH this weekend, it would be good to see what 60kg can do for 40k at WH. I know you raced it before... Three of us are going, you might make four?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Why specifically focused on weight? Racing is all about power, unless there are hills/mountains involved, then it's a matter of power/weight ratio. Weight alone is not that meaningful.

Muscle bulk (weight) = power, great for sprints and the flats. Dies on the hill unless the excess power can compensate the weight. As for fat, keep it as lean as possible.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:35 pm

No one can tell you your ideal racing weight. As it depends on too many other factors. Pantani was a real light weight and floated over mountains like an angel with wings whilst Thor Husov (I know thats wrong sorry) is a brick shithouse of a man who will never win the Tour but can sprint like theres a road train chasing him.

Both of these guys are Pro cyclists and yet they are very different in both height and weight. Work out what your riding style is first. Are you a climber or a time trialist or a sprinter or even an all rounder. Then work out your ideal racing weight. It stands to reason if you decide your a sprinter they you will be heavier than if you chose climbing as you have to work on developing massive power output for sprinting.

HTH

Becker
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Becker_11 wrote:Work out what your riding style is first. Are you a climber or a time trialist or a sprinter or even an all rounder.
Moving a bit OT... but...

I think there is a lot of focus on trying to improve your weaknesses in cycling, possibly too much (esp around hill climbing.) Maybe you should focus on your strengths and find the cycling discipline most suited to you: from the track, crits, MTB, RR etc., etc.

Dunk

Postby Dunk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:07 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Bettini to Magnus....nearly 40 kilos difference between them...still amazing riders.But Maggie was a bit of a freak power wise.
During last nights commentry on the Tour of Turkey Maggie was saying his best 1 sec was approx 2000W and his best 1 min was around 1000w :shock:

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:03 am

ft_critical wrote:
1q2w3e4r wrote:I'm 177 cm and 60-61 kilos depending on the day and dinner the night before :lol:

There is WH this weekend, it would be good to see what 60kg can do for 40k at WH. I know you raced it before... Three of us are going, you might make four?
Would have loved to, I'm off to Melbourne this morning and not back until Monday. I'll be out at the next one, though I imagine they'll have a TT or the Akuna course coming up soonish.

I booked for this weekend, knowing that MWCC were running the race program for every second Sunday (last week), and they changed it again this month :cry:

eon

Postby eon » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:34 pm

ve safari wrote:Is there such a think as an ideal weight for racing? Even looking at the Pro-peloton it's apparent there are many different builds and body types. So what is a good "all round" weight to target?

Reason behind my question is that I have been justifying my lack of speed upon my weight (177cm, 102kg). I also kind of expected that in order to be remotely competitive in C grade would need to be around the 75-80kg mark. I was reading a post of Twizzle's I think the other day and he mentioned that he is 100kg+, and in B grade. (Bravo BTW, fantastic!).

Now do I need to get a giant cup of HTFU because I really have no excuse based on weight alone, or is there more to it?

Does that make sense?

Would be interested in the collective opinion here.

thanks!
Hey mate - if you want to be competitive in C but haven't raced before, then why not join D or E grade first and find your way from there. When I picked up them pedals from you a few weeks back, I remembered you mentioned that you commute pretty much most days of the week, hence you've got good kms and training under your belt already. Just join E, D or C and work your way up... =)
ride hard and eat smart - before you know it, that weight will be gone.

I'm no expert, but just enjoy riding and occasionally racing. I'm still new to racing hence i dont even know what BMI, V02, etc etc are.. Just ride or race and see how you go. :D if you get dropped then bad luck, try harder next week. You can always come join us on the M7 Tuesday Night FootPath Racers ( friendly bunch ), as most of us are in C-ish level and a handful of B-ish fellows... just to get a feel, without the pressure of racing. Although at times the FPRs can get carried away ( good workout anyways. )

just my 2cents ( from someone who just started to join the races )
good luck matey. :D

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:42 am

ve safari wrote: Reason behind my question is that I have been justifying my lack of speed upon my weight (177cm, 102kg). I also kind of expected that in order to be remotely competitive in C grade would need to be around the 75-80kg mark.
Plenty of big fellas racing club and doing well. Zozza (FPR) is a big unit and he rides B. Obviously TLL and Twizzle are big guys as well and they seem to do alright.
ve safari wrote: Now do I need to get a giant cup of HTFU because I really have no excuse based on weight alone ?
Pretty much :P
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:01 pm

I do alright in Cat 2 in big fields...but within a week or two I will be in Cat 1 and looking at the podium last night in Cat1 there was no one over 75kgs...only one guy over 70 in the top 7.Seriously I won't even be turning up to some of the hillier races and will be searching high and low for flat-ish road races.
But the simple fact is most races in Australian cities are flat and bigger guys can do OK...plus you have to start somewhere,so while you are losing weight you can hit the lower grades and learn tactics :D .
See everyone looks up to me :lol: ...even after a hilltop finish last night!!!.
Now the only thing I am asking myself is why I have entered a 4 stage race with 15 km climbs in it!... :oops: .

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:11 pm

when i raced - many years ago - the club seemed to always pick flat courses (i'm sure this had nothing to do with the older, more well rounded riders being well represented in its administration). as a spritely 19 yr old with almost no body fat, i'm confident i'd have done a lot better if there were more hills. as others said, it depends on the course.

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:33 am

Hey thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess on my part there is a sense of frustration that the speed I need and want isn't comiing quick enough for my liking. I am looking for an excuse to explain why, and mentally have put it down to my weight, as opposed to probably the real reason of my lack of structured or consistent training. Yes I am losing weight. Yes my average speeds are increasing. Unfortunately I'm still a long way from where I need to be.

A couple of old timers who I respect on the bike have discouraged me from starting racing in E grade, and in all likeihood getting blown away on the first lap/climb. Both have said delay by 3-6 months, train harder, lose more weight, and come out stronger. Whilst this is good advice, I guess it's not exactly what I wanted to hear. The reality of the situation is though they are both right. I do need to increase my solo averages, and I do need to climb better. Basically I need to HTFU.

Ehli - that's a great suggestion to come ride with the FPRs, I would really like to. Having said that - I can't average the speeds you guys are doing! Solo I can avg 25-27km/h, depending on the day. (6 months ago it was 20-21km/h.), so still a fair way to go.

Anyway - enough feeling sorry for myself. I'll eat less, train better, and get faster. Let's see what the next 3 months brings.

cheers all
e

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Why wait another 3 months? Go out and have a go around, you either hang with them or you don't. At least you will know straight away where your fitness is compared with everyone else your racing with, racing will bring your fitness level up quicker as well.

Its all about having fun, no one's racing for cattle stations :)

eon

Postby eon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 pm

ve safari wrote:I guess on my part there is a sense of frustration that the speed I need and want isn't comiing quick enough for my liking.
I think speed will come in due time.

I find that i don't get as hard of a workout riding solo in comparison to riding with a faster group.
Being put into the situation of hanging on - makes you want to push harder and harder.. i never get there when I ride solo.
Plus its more fun riding with a few pps. Gets very boring riding solo for hours. It also trains you riding in close proximity to others - just like in the races.

Race or ride with groups out there - w/ stronger riders than you is the best form of training i reckon.
ve safari wrote:I'll eat less, train better, and get faster. Let's see what the next 3 months brings.
Train Better. AGREE... Eat less :?: :?: :?: I'd suggest eat smarter ( healthier food ). I believe scince I started riding I actually eat a lot more to help recover. small portions but plenty of times a day.. I eat almost every couple of hours. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also agree with 1q2w3e4r - Its all about having fun - dont wait 3 months - start having fun now... :D :D :D --> speed, strength and weight loss just comes as a bonus. :D

Good luck mate. :D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 am

ve safari wrote:....Solo I can avg 25-27km/h, depending on the day. (6 months ago it was 20-21km/h.), so still a fair way to go.
It all depends on where you ride. It doesn't take many hills or traffic lights to screw up your average, so it's a really bad measure of performance.

Find a hill locally, something around 6% gradient and 10 - 15 minute climb time. If you don't have a HR monitor - get one. Start practising on the hill, so that you can hold a consistent heart rate for the last half of the climb, and at about 85 - 90% of your predicted max HR. If you have to back off the level of effort to keep the HR from shooting up, try a lower target HR. Once you have the pacing sorted, and you have a feel for what sort of effort you can do, push the boundaries a bit to see how hard you can ride the hill without the HR shooting up. And time every effort, as this is the way you can judge improvement over time. Starting off, you might only be able to do one of these, over time you will be able to do three or four repeats. Aim to do one or two of these hill sessions a week, but don't do them back-to-back.

If money is no object... get yourself a PowerTap Comp wheel (Excel Sports in the US), should be under $1K of you get a complete wheel or about $750 if you buy a hub kit. If that's too pricey, get a Garmin Edge 500, as you can use the altitude information to enter your climb into Cycle2Max or Hillclimbr to get a power estimate.

And as others have pointed out above - don't wait, just get stuck into it. Start in E if you need to, racing is some of the best training you can have - I always end up pushing a lot harder in races than I can in training.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 am

twizzle wrote:
ve safari wrote:....Solo I can avg 25-27km/h, depending on the day. (6 months ago it was 20-21km/h.), so still a fair way to go.
It all depends on where you ride. It doesn't take many hills or traffic lights to screw up your average, so it's a really bad measure of performance.

Find a hill locally, something around 6% gradient and 10 - 15 minute climb time. If you don't have a HR monitor - get one. Start practising on the hill, so that you can hold a consistent heart rate for the last half of the climb, and at about 85 - 90% of your predicted max HR. If you have to back off the level of effort to keep the HR from shooting up, try a lower target HR. Once you have the pacing sorted, and you have a feel for what sort of effort you can do, push the boundaries a bit to see how hard you can ride the hill without the HR shooting up. And time every effort, as this is the way you can judge improvement over time. Starting off, you might only be able to do one of these, over time you will be able to do three or four repeats. Aim to do one or two of these hill sessions a week, but don't do them back-to-back.

If money is no object... get yourself a PowerTap Comp wheel (Excel Sports in the US), should be under $1K of you get a complete wheel or about $750 if you buy a hub kit. If that's too pricey, get a Garmin Edge 500, as you can use the altitude information to enter your climb into Cycle2Max or Hillclimbr to get a power estimate.

And as others have pointed out above - don't wait, just get stuck into it. Start in E if you need to, racing is some of the best training you can have - I always end up pushing a lot harder in races than I can in training.
Cheers Twizzle, much appreciated. For the Sydney-siders - What hills would fit the bill here? Bobbin Head? Galston?

I do have a Garmin 500, but have not heard of the two sites you mention. Will look into it and get back to you!