Cheapish Trainer

The foundations for successful riding

Cheapish Trainer

Postby jaffaman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi - noob looking at my first trainer: Are hyrdogel or fluid trainers really much better than a magnetic trainer? If I go magnetic, are remotes for the resistance worthwhile or is changing gears good enough to change intensity?

I can get a JetBlack Mag2 magnetic with 3 resistance levels selectable at the roller for $129, or the MagPro with a handlebar remote for resistance for $199 or a HydroGel for $250 at the moment. Does anyone have any comments if it is worth twice as much for the hydrogel as for the mag2? (yes, I understand these are cheapies)
jaffaman

by BNA » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

BNA

Re: Cheapish Trainer

Postby drubie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

I have a cheheeeeeeeeeeep 1 speed magnetic trainer (Tranzx) and the gears on the bike are plenty of resistance variance for me, but I'm not much of a cyclist.

It's boredom that's the problem - don't invest too much unless you're sure you'll use it.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby jaffaman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:29 am

drubie wrote:I have a cheheeeeeeeeeeep 1 speed magnetic trainer (Tranzx) and the gears on the bike are plenty of resistance variance for me, but I'm not much of a cyclist.

It's boredom that's the problem - don't invest too much unless you're sure you'll use it.

Thanks Drubie - that's great. I'm not much of a cyclist either, but my wife and I think we might do some riding at night in front of the TV, but of course you don't know until you do it, hence looking cheap. I'll probably use a 21 speed mountain bike that I hardly ride, so that should give plenty of range.
jaffaman

Postby Parrott » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:03 pm

I have a tranzx mag trainer with adjustable resistance, it has taken a fair hammering and still works fine. Noisy from day one though, and it hasn't improved with age. I use it whilst watching spinervals dvds and have to have the sound up pretty loud. It would be too noisy to use whilst watching the tv unfortunately, unless you have it at more than twice the normal volume I reckon.
Parrott

Postby jaffaman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks. My local Anaconda has a Fluid which is a rebranded TransX setup with a bike. I might try it out and see how loud it is - maybe time to get some wireless headphones.... :D
jaffaman

Postby Parrott » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:18 pm

jaffaman wrote:Thanks. My local Anaconda has a Fluid which is a rebranded TransX setup with a bike. I might try it out and see how loud it is - maybe time to get some wireless headphones.... :D

This is mine, it's a magnetic not fluid. Good idea about trying before you buy if you can.
Parrott

Return to Training