How to train for country road races?

vander

Re: How to train for country road races?

Postby vander » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:03 pm

wardie wrote:Just digging up an old thread as I was lucky (?) enought to get into the Dinnerville this year. It will be my first open raod race so I'm interested in the best way to train.

I'm currently riding 4 to 5 times per week and the last 3 months has been along the lines of:

1 or 2 x 2 hr easy spin
1 x lap through the RNP with a mate who's quicker than me so it's a pretty hard ride
1 x group ride from Sutherland into the city and then back with the Coluzzi group. Done one ride taking a turn on the front but otherwise in the pack.
1 x long ride normally solo but sometimes join a group for the 2nd part which is normally too fast for me. The solo ride is normally hilly with a loop through the RNP and down the coast.

From this weekend, I am going to include the St George Handicap (24km) at Oatley Park as part of my long ride.

I'm going to start using a wattbike for at least 1 session per week (my club have them) so what would be the best session? I used to own a power meter (sadly sold it) and my FTP was around 280watts (I weigh 76 kgs) and I did a fair bit of 2 x 20min sessions on my trainer. I actually enjoy using a trainer.

When I race or ride in a group that pushes me, I feel I struggle with constant surging (e.g paceline) but feel stronger when pushing a constant pace (e.g taking a 10 min hard turn).

Thanks
WIth what you are saying you struggle with I would say, do overs unders ie 30sec bit over ftp 30 sec a bit under repeat for 20min. Do VO2 work 5x3min efforts 5x5min or something similar. The other thing is do hour of power training, this is sitting slightly below threshold and every 2-3min do 20sec of above threshold VO2 (possibly higher) work, I cant remember the exact protocol for hour of power. 2x20s are always good for developing threshold and I have never heard someone say their threshold is too high.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Congrats on getting a slot, entries seemed to last 10 minutes this year. I got one, as did Strawbuger.

I've only done one road training ride this year, so not a good base for me to work from. At a guess my handicap will be around mid field. I expect to find the pace not an issue but the distance more of a concern. Not sure how I'll go on the hill, my lighter weight of 77kg (compared to previous years) may help, but a lack of endurance training may not.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Ive ridden quite a lot of Dinnervilles as its on my club home course... had issues trying to get young DD entered, ended up ringing up and got him in as a reserve. Should be fine as all reserves rode last year. There is usually up to 30 no-shows on the day. Last year I was lead car driver and watched young DD misjudge the sprint due to inexperience and he got 10th. I will be overseas on that date so I will miss the famous Kenny D for the first time in about 20 years.
It is an extremely difficult race for a number of reasons ... Alex's "pimple" is ok if you just twiddle up there with your group, try getting up there if you have been caught by the backmarkers - or try getting up the last 4 pinches to the finish when you are knackered and the scratchies are lighting it up.
Anyway the section before the hill which used to be 'pave' is now hot rolled and smooooooth, however the 4km section running east-west is holes and patched holes from the B doubles which use it daily to refill the old mine out there. Its horrible. It will be patched the week before but it is still awful.
No tips on how to train for the kenny nor what to do during the race, as I am hoping for a local victory.

wardie

Postby wardie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Ive ridden quite a lot of Dinnervilles as its on my club home course... had issues trying to get young DD entered, ended up ringing up and got him in as a reserve. Should be fine as all reserves rode last year. There is usually up to 30 no-shows on the day. Last year I was lead car driver and watched young DD misjudge the sprint due to inexperience and he got 10th. I will be overseas on that date so I will miss the famous Kenny D for the first time in about 20 years.
It is an extremely difficult race for a number of reasons ... Alex's "pimple" is ok if you just twiddle up there with your group, try getting up there if you have been caught by the backmarkers - or try getting up the last 4 pinches to the finish when you are knackered and the scratchies are lighting it up.
Anyway the section before the hill which used to be 'pave' is now hot rolled and smooooooth, however the 4km section running east-west is holes and patched holes from the B doubles which use it daily to refill the old mine out there. Its horrible. It will be patched the week before but it is still awful.
No tips on how to train for the kenny nor what to do during the race, as I am hoping for a local victory.
Thanks DD. how does this pimple compare to hills around the RNP/Wollongong area as I might do some hill repeats?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:18 am

Hi wardie, come down on May 18 we are running a 90km race on the course. Good practice.

I cant really think of a hill in the Shire thats like it (I grew up in the Shire). The hill has a "shallow side" heading south and a "steep" side heading north. The shallow side is about 200 metres long and about 4 percent (Im guessing). Its a sit in the seat and tap out tempo kind of hill, doesnt really cause any problems during races. Big chainring and an easy gear.
The steep side is about 80 metres at say 8% and then another 40 metres at about 4%. Its a stand and hammer 39-17 until it flattens and then you sit and use 53-21 or something to get over the top. Its the last 40 metres where people crack. As it flattens over the top the good riders pick up pace and ride away from the guys who used up all their gas on the first 80 metre section.

Maybe use Woronora hill ? Out of the seat up the steepest bit then as you swing around the corner and head towards the big roundabout near Sutho station, sit down and try to increase speed by pedalling in the seat and clicking up a gear or two.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:13 am

Living in Hobart pretty much all our road races are on "country" roads. Do a search for "Tour of Tasmania 1996" in YouTube, you'll see what I mean.

If the mainland country roads are anything like ours ill assume you mean undulating pacours on road surfaces that are made out of the rocks with tar or whatever laid over the top? Lots of road noise and basically dead?

I'd say get to know the course, workout the bits you might get yourself into trouble on and conserve as much energy leading up to those bits/sections. Also being a heavier guy I also look for sections that will hurt the smaller climber types and try to drive the pace so it's comfortable for me(tempo) but an effort for the others even just to sit on. It's a fine line finding that point though, gotta be careful.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Hi wardie, come down on May 18 we are running a 90km race on the course. Good practice.
Thanks DD, that's Interesting, I'm assuming this is it http://www.illawarracycleclub.org.au/gc ... 6sdfejstko

Is it open to all clubs?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

wardie

Postby wardie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Hi wardie, come down on May 18 we are running a 90km race on the course. Good practice.
Thanks DD, that's Interesting, I'm assuming this is it http://www.illawarracycleclub.org.au/gc ... 6sdfejstko

Is it open to all clubs?
Great. I'll try and get down for that.
Giant XTC 2

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:37 pm

mikesbytes wrote:

Is it open to all clubs?
Yes mate of course. We welcome visitors.
There will probably be prize money on. If you win A grade you might get you entry fee back plus another 5 bucks. 2nd could possible get a couple of gold coins. 3rd gets to wash up in the kitchen.
We only pay prize money one race a month too.
Other than that you will enjoy the experience.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:39 pm

wardie wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:

Is it open to all clubs?
Great. I'll try and get down for that.
We usually get a good contingent of SSCC lads turn up.
Make sure you say gidday. I will probably be running derny rear guard for one of the grades.
Look for the scooter with number plate DERNY :D

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Derny Driver wrote: Make sure you say gidday. I will probably be running derny rear guard for one of the grades.
Look for the scooter with number plate DERNY :D
Scratch that. Just checked my diary, I will be overseas. But come anyway.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 pm

DD, will have to bump into you another time.

I'm thinking of putting this race on my timetable

BTW, which club is SSCC? Is it Sutherland?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mjd

Postby mjd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm guessing Sutherland Shire Cycling Club.

wardie

Postby wardie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 pm

mikesbytes wrote:DD, will have to bump into you another time.

I'm thinking of putting this race on my timetable

BTW, which club is SSCC? Is it Sutherland?
Yes, Sutherland.
Giant XTC 2