10km run

The foundations for successful riding

10km run

Postby BarryTas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:24 pm

did a 10km fun fun yesterday.

I was hoping for a time of 42ish mins, but i clocked 40:08mins.....8 seconds off 40mins. Some how my running is getting better than my riding (AT)##%$#%$# winter training.

now my legs hurt.
when do we stop for coffee???

BarryTas

by BNA » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:08 pm

BNA

Re: 10km run

Postby silkishuge » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:08 pm

That is a decent time, well done. I usually do a comfortable 5min/km jog so my time is typically around 48 to 50 mins. I don't want to push myself while running because of the greater potential of sustaining injury that would prevent me from riding my bike.

J
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby rogan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Cycling will make your running better.

I was an OK distance and CC runner at school, did the district carnivals. I had a regular hilly ~14 km run, which for years I did in 1h07, 1h08, etc. Consistent times but could never get much faster.

Then I started bike racing, got to a reasonable standard (club A Grade, open B Grade), and one day I decided to do the run again. Did it in 55 minutes, on no running training at all. I reckon bike training makes you fit for all general purposes.
rogan

Postby lethoso » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:21 pm

I signed up for a half marathon a couple of weeks ago, so I've been doing a bit of running to train for it, I can handle the cardio aspect pretty easily because of the riding I do, but my calves are getting pretty punished. Running up a few flights of stairs then trying to keep going on the flat nails me pretty hard too :/

Still got a fortnight or so to train before the big day though :)

40 mins seems like a very solid 10k time though, I'm hoping for about 2hrs for the half.
lethoso

Postby silkishuge » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:00 am

lethoso wrote:I signed up for a half marathon a couple of weeks ago, so I've been doing a bit of running to train for it, I can handle the cardio aspect pretty easily because of the riding I do, but my calves are getting pretty punished. Running up a few flights of stairs then trying to keep going on the flat nails me pretty hard too :/

Still got a fortnight or so to train before the big day though :)

40 mins seems like a very solid 10k time though, I'm hoping for about 2hrs for the half.

You will do that easily. Most fit people will easily do 5min/km. Run at your own pace and run to run another day.

J
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Return to Training