SRM in Australia

The foundations for successful riding

SRM in Australia

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:30 am

OK, a bit of a blatant ad but would be of interest to some on this forum.

As a complement to my power meter hire (Powertaps) I am also offering SRM power meters for sale in Australia.

Here's a brief announcement:
SRM available from RST in Australia
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

by BNA » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:28 pm

BNA

Re: SRM in Australia

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Everyone knows the quality of the product but I suspect the pricing (when compared with the local distributor and vendors overseas/online) will decide the success of this venture.
All the best Alex.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
Sven Nijs

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:Everyone knows the quality of the product but I suspect the pricing (when compared with the local distributor and vendors overseas/online) will decide the success of this venture.
All the best Alex.

Well, I will be a local distributor and can do better.

I expect on most models I will be at least 10% better than previous local pricing.

Looking at some online retailers, e.g. Excel Sports (USA) and Scientific Coaching (UK distributors), and SRM in USA, I expect to be a much better rate than them as well.

How much better will depend on exchange rates. In some cases a lot better.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby williamsf1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:38 am

so when will you have a price for us to look at?
williamsf1

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:58 pm

williamsf1 wrote:so when will you have a price for us to look at?

http://rst-training.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... rices.html
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:24 am

jacks1071 wrote:
williamsf1 wrote:so when will you have a price for us to look at?

http://rst-training.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... rices.html

Ah, thanks for posting that. :)

and I might add that ProliteOz sell Quarqs. :)
either way, check 'em out - all good stuff and we are working hard to bring down the cost of crank based power meters here in Australia.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Sven Nijs » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Alex, is the Professional model now an 'obsolete' product as the "click on the photo" link doesn't work on your site and I can't find it listed on the SRM site?
Sven Nijs

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:Hi Alex, is the Professional model now an 'obsolete' product as the "click on the photo" link doesn't work on your site and I can't find it listed on the SRM site?

They are still available although the spec sheet is not listed on SRM's site, hence why there is no link for that one meter.

It is basically the same as the Science model (which is Octalink or square taper), except it has fewer strain gauges and is rated at +/- 2%, the same as other SRM power meters.
The Science model is rated +/- 0.5%.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:57 pm

So Alex,

What's the deal with the SRM professional? At $1650 it seems like a steal compared to a powertap. Is it just less accurate than the others (does that really matter?) I assume it can be used with a garmin 500, etc? Are the SRM computers worthwhile?

Cheers
tripstobaltimore

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:26 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:So Alex,

What's the deal with the SRM professional? At $1650 it seems like a steal compared to a powertap. Is it just less accurate than the others (does that really matter?) I assume it can be used with a garmin 500, etc? Are the SRM computers worthwhile?
Cheers

At $1650 it seems like a steal compared to a powertap. - yes it does (remember it's plus GST & postage though).
Is it just less accurate than the others (does that really matter?) - only when compared to the science version as all the others state the same +-2% accuracy as the Professional.
I assume it can be used with a garmin 500, etc? - should do given the package deals available online but I'm interested to know if any additional bits and bobs are required to let them work together.
Are the SRM computers worthwhile? - from friends I've talked to back in UK they are definitely preferable to PTs but the restricting factor is usually their price (at least double PT).

It is very tempting.....
Sven Nijs

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:30 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:So Alex,

Cheers

Accuracy is very good, comparable to all the other models, bar the Science model which is +/- 0.5%.

It just requires campag square taper or Shimano Octalink bottom bracket - which are older style BBs. Most people have/prefer the newer style BBs.

It is wireless same as all the other models and will work with Garmin 705/510 units, just be aware that garmin units won't enable you to perform a proper* slope calibration check, you'll need an SRM Powercontrol for that (doing a slope calibration check is very important to ensure data accuracy).

Garmins work but there are still teething problems, regular data integrity problems on the basis of the clients I have that use Garmin - i get regular "sorry - can't get data for that ride" messages.

I use the SRM PCVI. They work very well. It is designed to work with the SRM.

* proper in the sense of being able to perform a check with a mass > ~5kg, when 35kg would be far better.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:
tripstobaltimore wrote:What's the deal with the SRM professional? At $1650 it seems like a steal compared to a powertap.

I should add that the current price is $1700 for SRM Pro Powermeter only and $2400 for complete system.

I had to make a slight change due to SRM Germany price change advised overnight. You are right, it's a steal and not sure how long I'll be able to maintain that price level (I aiming to be the best deal on SRM in Australia but the Pro sure isn't going to make me rich, that's for sure!).
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Sven Nijs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It is wireless same as all the other models and will work with Garmin 705/510 units, just be aware that garmin units won't enable you to perform a proper* slope calibration check, you'll need an SRM Powercontrol for that (doing a slope calibration check is very important to ensure data accuracy).

Garmins work but there are still teething problems, regular data integrity problems on the basis of the clients I have that use Garmin - i get regular "sorry - can't get data for that ride" messages.

I use the SRM PCVI. They work very well. It is designed to work with the SRM.

* proper in the sense of being able to perform a check with a mass > ~5kg, when 35kg would be far better.

Thanks Alex.
Is it really necessary to spend an additional $700 for an SRM Powercontrol just to do a slope test (when you already have a Garmin)? Are there any other hidden extras required?
How often are the slope tests required (I assume it's after initial installation then is it annually, monthly, weekly, or?) and does it also mean we have to invest in 5kg or 35kg of free weights too? If it is infrequent, is calibration a service you might consider offering?

At the moment it's unfortunately not looking as good a buy as it was.
Sven Nijs

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:29 pm

So If wanted to swap between several bikes, I need octalink BB's on all? What about the FSA gossamer one, that can be easily swapped?

Cheers
tripstobaltimore

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:40 am

tripstobaltimore wrote:So If wanted to swap between several bikes, I need octalink BB's on all? What about the FSA gossamer one, that can be easily swapped?

Cheers

It's the same level of difficulty/ease of changing any other crank using the same system.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:00 am

Sven Nijs wrote:Thanks Alex.
Is it really necessary to spend an additional $700 for an SRM Powercontrol just to do a slope test (when you already have a Garmin)? Are there any other hidden extras required?
How often are the slope tests required (I assume it's after initial installation then is it annually, monthly, weekly, or?) and does it also mean we have to invest in 5kg or 35kg of free weights too? If it is infrequent, is calibration a service you might consider offering?

At the moment it's unfortunately not looking as good a buy as it was.

One doesn't have to purchase the Powercontrol, you can use a Garmin.

All I am doing is pointing out that at the moment, the Garmin units don't provide the ability to show enough digits of torque reading (well Hz actually) to adequately perform a slope calibration check (note: I don't mean a zero offset, which can be done with a Garmin). The display needs to show 4 digits when the Garmins only show 3 (i.e. 999Hz is the max it can display, and when zero offset is, say, 600Hz, then it's not really enough "headroom" for a proper check when a sufficient mass is used). Garmin may eventually update their firmware to enable this.

You can just go with the factory slope calibration stamped on the power meter. In my experience however - things can and do change once installed.

It is strongly recommended that such a check be performed after installation, probably worth checking again after an initial bed in period, then maybe 6 monthly. Usually it's very stable but it's always good to make sure.

So at the moment to do that you'll need access to an SRM Powercontrol, either your own, or someone else s and a means of providing a known force (usually 20+kg of mass known to the nearest 25g hung from a horizontal crank arm).

I have calibration checked weights and special pedals for hanging weight plates so that I can perform a slope calibration for people if needed.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Bringing up an old thread from the dead.

Do you have any up to date pricing on these Alex? I notice the price in the US has come down substancially to the point where they are under $2100 from some of the retailers. I'm thinking of going to a crank based system on my TT bike. EDIT: I run SRAM in a Trek bottom bracket.
1q2w3e4r

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:52 pm

1q2w3e4r wrote:Bringing up an old thread from the dead.

Do you have any up to date pricing on these Alex? I notice the price in the US has come down substancially to the point where they are under $2100 from some of the retailers. I'm thinking of going to a crank based system on my TT bike. EDIT: I run SRAM in a Trek bottom bracket.

Yes, email me if you want details.

alex AT rstsport DOT com

I'm an official seller of both SRM & Quarq, obtaining units directly from the manufacturer.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Return to Training