What hurts and when and how to fix it?

The foundations for successful riding

What hurts and when and how to fix it?

Postby Old and Rusty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:35 pm

I've had my roadie for a few months now and I have slowly been adjusting things to make it more comfortable and easy on my body to ride. I've got it pretty good compared to when I first picked it up, small changes have made good time improvements over the same course but I am getting nagging pain right at the top of my thighs towards the groin and pain right at the base of my hamstring. These two pains are the only ones that haven't lessened with my increase in fitness.
Is there a problem with adjustment that may typically cause this? It usually starts in an hour roughly or sooner if I ride hard.

I have adjusted seat height so my leg is within an inch of full extension at the bottom of the cycle and my seat makes full contact across my crotch/backside. My knee is above the pedal at the 9 o'clock/3 o'clock positions.

Any advice?
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
Old and Rusty

by BNA » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:13 am

BNA

Re: What hurts and when and how to fix it?

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:13 am

I'd suggest to get a proper fit by an experienced fitter. This will either confirm that the fit is OK, and something else is the problem, or the fit needs tweaking to sort your issues.

There are many discussions (see Steve Hoggs Peadl Pushers website for more info) about how KOPS (Knee over pedal spindle) as a positioning methodology is a start point, but that is it.

It is more about the "functional symmetry" and how YOU work on YOUR bike.

I'd say that the latter (fit isn't quite right) is probably your case.

Also note, that as you get more experienced/ride more, your position can change as well. So it's not a set and forget proposition.
MichaelB

Postby Old and Rusty » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 am

I have the fit pretty much according to the text book, everything lines up with where they say it should be with the exception the stem is a little long. The LBS I go to doesn't have the road bike skills for a fitting so I'll have to find somewhere that doesn't charge a squillion in the local area.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
Old and Rusty

Postby type5 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Efm physio in Adelaide fitted me recently. I was having kneck and knee problems and they have been all sorted now.. My old physio was constantly fixing my issues caused by my bike fit - which the bike was properly fitted by a shop.. They just didnt know about my specific issues..
type5

Return to Training