HR questions

The foundations for successful riding

HR questions

Postby Solirossi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Iv got a few questions about max HR and lactate threshold etc... Im 27 so my max HR should be 193 and Threshold 164bpm.

Im not massivley fit, probably ride once a week mainly for fun but would like to try to increase my fitness. Anyhow i used a HR monitor for the first time over the last week. I did a over/under session on the rollers and 2 50km road rides, one hilly ride with an average of 22kph and a flat ride average speed of 31kph.

Anyhow when riding my HR gets up over 164bph pretty quick, and it tends to sit between 15o and 180 for most of the ride. Could it be possible my max HR is different than 193? Or im just unfit? my HR also takes a while to get back down to resonable levels. Even though i might ride for 2 hours with a HR that is consistently over what should be my lactate threshold I am not really 'suffering' well i might at times but i feel ok if i roll out of it for 200m or so.

Its probably a pretty broad question and I assume it would be different for most people but it would be good to get some pointers on workouts to try on the rollers or whatever to establish some targets and indicators for decent fitness.

I suppose the goal is to produce more power whilt keeping the HR as low as possible. Easier sais than done!!
Solirossi

by BNA » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:10 pm

BNA

Re: HR questions

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:10 pm

220 - Age is a very very general estimate...if you want to know your max HR then you have to get yourself in a situation that will allow you to reach it...like a full out sprint after going hard for a few minutes...and even then if a bear jumps out at you from behind a bush it might even be a bit higher :roll: .
And even when you know it you will still have to find your threshold heart rate (which will only be an estimate because it will vary a fair bit from day to day).
Only if you are healthy too.... :lol: ...
toolonglegs

Postby Solirossi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:53 pm

cheers tool, good to get some more info. I think ill just spend some time on the rollers over the next few weeks to see at what HR's i struggle and take it from there.

I suppose intervals will be the best bet as well?
Solirossi

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Are we talking Drop Bears here? :mrgreen:
Just concentrate on doing miles and miles first, then worry about that stuff! :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Solirossi wrote:cheers tool

Hey, he was just trying to help! :lol:
tripstobaltimore

Postby DanielS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:31 am

Solirossi wrote:Iv got a few questions about max HR and lactate threshold etc... Im 27 so my max HR should be 193 and Threshold 164bpm.

You can't take MaxHR=220-Age and LTHR=0.85*MaxHR as gospel. They could be very different for you.

My advice - ride more often (3-4 times a week), get fitter. Then a month or two down the track, do a LTHR test: go as hard as you can, as steadily as possible, for 30 mins and take the average HR from the last 20 mins of that period. You can define your zones from that, so I wouldn't worry about your Max HR. It will also give you a better idea of what your real 'threshold' HR is (if such a thing exists!!). I say wait until you are a bit fitter, because I think that it will change quite a bit as you start to ride more.
DanielS

Return to Training