power tap and wheel advice need - please

The foundations for successful riding

power tap and wheel advice need - please

Postby AAMerchant » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 pm

hello

i built a power tap sl+ on to open pro with 32 spokes - felt good but there was alot of lag and holding and maintaining speed became harder theres a reason why they call it a training wheel and climbing hills became even more difficult, then my power tap started giving me some trouble - i went back to my lbs and they sent the whole thing back to the manufactuer who replaced the whole thing and sent a new one -

im trying and wondering if i can / should go back to my easton circuits and build the power tap into them they are 28 spokes a bit lighter and a bit deeper than the open pros i think ..

or should i stick with the open pros

i dont know what to do .. need some advice .. so any one out there pls help - or even let me know what you would do

thanks
AAMerchant

by BNA » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:02 pm

BNA

Re: power tap and wheel advice need - please

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:02 pm

AAMerchant wrote:hello

i built a power tap sl+ on to open pro with 32 spokes - felt good but there was alot of lag and holding and maintaining speed became harder theres a reason why they call it a training wheel and climbing hills became even more difficult, then my power tap started giving me some trouble - i went back to my lbs and they sent the whole thing back to the manufactuer who replaced the whole thing and sent a new one -

im trying and wondering if i can / should go back to my easton circuits and build the power tap into them they are 28 spokes a bit lighter and a bit deeper than the open pros i think ..

or should i stick with the open pros

i dont know what to do .. need some advice .. so any one out there pls help - or even let me know what you would do

thanks

Ebay it while its new and get a crank based system :-)
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:38 am

Your descriptions as to the problems are somewhat vague.

In any case it's not sensible to try and build a wheel with a 28 hole rim and a 32 hole hub, so if you do want to change rim, then you'd need a new rim or hub. What rim really depends on how much you want to spend.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby /\ |_ | » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I own a Powertap SL+ which had a velocity fusion rim (came with purchase) swapped it for a velocity off center rim. I have noticed the difference straight up more lateral strength and better cornering. The Powertap hub lacks lateral strength due to the hub design (which i have been told) and I have experienced this with brake rub and what felt like flexi backend. Since I have switched to OC rims the lateral strength has improved and I am happy with the results. Brake rub has reduced and I can corner much more confidently. I only noticed the difference after riding on a rear Shimano Cl-24 wheel. I have to say not as good as the Shimano but very close also the Shimano does not measure power which is more important to me.
/\ |_ |

Return to Training