How much do I have to do on holiday?

The foundations for successful riding

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:11 pm

This is an odd question, but I'm new to cycling and building fitness. I'm going to do the Brisbane to Gold coast challenge (100k) on October the 10th. My preparation is going quite well with my daily commute and the couple of extra longer rides I've been doing. I can do 70k easily at the moment. At my current level I think I'll be fine.

However here's the rub - I'm going to Singapore for two weeks prior, and arriving back in Brisbane on the Tuesday before the ride. I don't want to loose too much fitness. I have no doubt that there will be some eating, and liquid carb loading :wink: while I'm there. I'm fortunate that for most of the break (apart from 4 days on a neighboring island) we'll be staying with my sister and brother in law and they have an old mountain bike they could loan me. I'm unsure of how safe cycling is in Singapore but where there is a will there is a way.

So my question is, how much if any do I need to do to maintain my current condition while I'm away? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

by BNA » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:18 pm

BNA

Re: How much do I have to do on holiday?

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:18 pm

If you can't ride you can swim or walk. 30" per day should be enough.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Apple » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Mate, you will be fine, just pace yourself.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
Apple

Postby Parker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Its two weeks.... dude, thats nothing
Parker

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:36 am

Ok so I'm worrying too much? I went away for 5 weeks in June and it took me weeks to get back to form and I guess that was tainting me.

As it turns out my sister in law has plans to take me on 50-60k rides around singapore every second morning. I didn't think Singapore was that big?

Anyway if that happens I'll come home fitter!

Comedian

Postby lethoso » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Comedian wrote:I'm going to Singapore for two weeks prior, and arriving back in Brisbane on the Tuesday before the ride.

think of it as tapering for the big day :lol:
lethoso

Postby brades68 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Comedian, i'm watching with interest as i've been unable to ride last over the 2 and a bit weeks with either work commitments or kids while the missus is working. Had a grand plan of riding on sunday after swapping a cluster (noob milestone?) but did a rib / diaphragm injury (don't ask - involves a bullbar and driving lights :roll: )

i managed to jump on the trainer tonight for 15km (then i got bored) but the ride friday night (20km) told me i hadn't lost much in the way of speed although i suspect my endurance will be down. We'll be on par with bike fitness by the time the 10th rolls around!!

Sprint finish?? :D :D

Cheers
Mick
n = Specialized Tarmac SL4 (racing!), Prolite Cuneo GP (riding!)
n + 1 = Pro-Lite Trentino GP (track - woohoo)
brades68

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:19 pm

brades68 wrote:Comedian, i'm watching with interest as i've been unable to ride last over the 2 and a bit weeks with either work commitments or kids while the missus is working. Had a grand plan of riding on sunday after swapping a cluster (noob milestone?) but did a rib / diaphragm injury (don't ask - involves a bullbar and driving lights :roll: )

i managed to jump on the trainer tonight for 15km (then i got bored) but the ride friday night (20km) told me i hadn't lost much in the way of speed although i suspect my endurance will be down. We'll be on par with bike fitness by the time the 10th rolls around!!

Cheers
Mick

Hey it's not a race - as long as I'm winning :mrgreen:

With my current fitness I'd romp it in. It is only now a question of how fast, and what shape I'm in the next day ;)

If my SIL does take me on that magnitude of ride every second day I could well return in better shape than when I left - assuming I don't go under a truck full of Malasian workers :shock: I really want to just stay where I am and not loose anything - as it is a holiday. :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:19 pm

brades68 wrote:Comedian, i'm watching with interest as i've been unable to ride last over the 2 and a bit weeks with either work commitments or kids while the missus is working. Had a grand plan of riding on sunday after swapping a cluster (noob milestone?) but did a rib / diaphragm injury (don't ask - involves a bullbar and driving lights :roll: )

Cheers
Mick

Hey it's not a race - as long as I'm winning :mrgreen:

With my current fitness I'd romp it in. It is only now a question of how fast, and what shape I'm in the next day ;)

If my SIL does take me on that magnitude of ride every second day I could well return in better shape than when I left - assuming I don't go under a truck full of Malasian workers :shock: I really want to just stay where I am and not loose anything - as it is a holiday. :)

Comedian

Postby KenGS » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 pm

If you go riding around Singapore pay special attention to your hydration.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Smash yourself hard in the few weeks before you go...then use your two weeks away as a taper.Not ideal but if you don't think you will get any quality exercise while away then it is the best you can do.You will lose a fair bit in 2 weeks but if it isn't a race then not a big deal.
toolonglegs

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 am

Thanks for the tips people. Good points :)

Comedian

Postby silkishuge » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:01 am

Comedian wrote:This is an odd question, but I'm new to cycling and building fitness. I'm going to do the Brisbane to Gold coast challenge (100k) on October the 10th. My preparation is going quite well with my daily commute and the couple of extra longer rides I've been doing. I can do 70k easily at the moment. At my current level I think I'll be fine.

However here's the rub - I'm going to Singapore for two weeks prior, and arriving back in Brisbane on the Tuesday before the ride. I don't want to loose too much fitness. I have no doubt that there will be some eating, and liquid carb loading :wink: while I'm there. I'm fortunate that for most of the break (apart from 4 days on a neighboring island) we'll be staying with my sister and brother in law and they have an old mountain bike they could loan me. I'm unsure of how safe cycling is in Singapore but where there is a will there is a way.

So my question is, how much if any do I need to do to maintain my current condition while I'm away? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Whenever I go on holidays, I usually either pack my bike and a good set of running shoes. In your case, a bike would be out of the question since there is no place where you can ride. I used to ride in Singapore, but at unearthly hours of 3am to 6 or 7am where the traffic is significantly less. You can head out for morning jogs, 5 to 10km a day on alternate days is what I would recommend. Drink plenty of water.

J
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby BarryTas » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:39 pm

silkishuge wrote:
Whenever I go on holidays, I usually either pack my bike and a good set of running shoes. In your case, a bike would be out of the question since there is no place where you can ride. I used to ride in Singapore, but at unearthly hours of 3am to 6 or 7am where the traffic is significantly less. You can head out for morning jogs, 5 to 10km a day on alternate days is what I would recommend. Drink plenty of water.

J

+1

the good thing about running on holiday is that it's a good way to explore and you will have more time to send holidaying as running takes up far less time then riding

I will be packing my running shoes for the worlds.
when do we stop for coffee???

BarryTas

Postby brades68 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:43 pm

brades68 wrote:...... did a rib / diaphragm injury (don't ask - involves a bullbar and driving lights :roll: )

Apparently i could have possibly, using the medical terms as used by the Dr "tweaked my xiphisternum", maybe a slight fracture - X-ray in the morning :(

Was able to ride twice during the week without discomfort but Saturday morning was uncomfortable - with other contributing factors involved. I'll test myself out some more this arvo and throw in a hill. at least it'll give me some idea how i'm travelling for the Bris to GC next month

Cheer
Mick
n = Specialized Tarmac SL4 (racing!), Prolite Cuneo GP (riding!)
n + 1 = Pro-Lite Trentino GP (track - woohoo)
brades68

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:51 am

Well, here I sit back in Singapore. This holiday has been a total cycling disaster. All the bikes here are much to small for me, and the one we did try and get going- a cheap mtb- has had crank problems.

So, I've ridden maybe 20k in two weeks. The only positives I can salvage is that I did a lot of walking at the GP and I don't think I've put on much weight. As a holiday it's been great though. :)

So, we arrive back in brisvegas 7am Tuesday and the Bris to gc is Sunday. Any ideas on how to recover from this?

I was thinking I should do a couple of medium length (50k) rides wed/thu and then just my usual commute Friday with saturday off. Then the big ride Sunday. How does that sound?

Comedian

Postby marinmomma » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Don't worry too much about your fitness...no-one in Brisbane has been able to ride much these past two weeks due to the rain. Tried to make it to the coast yesterday but the rain came down in buckets by the time we got to Pimpama...we gave up at Dreamworld as the rain just kept on coming through....
The only good thing was that a SE wind was blowing so we had a practice at riding into the wind!

The forecast isn't looking like there's going to be much improvement 'til later in the week....I won't be out riding in the rain again, I've got to clean up the bike after all the road muck that I gathered yesterday :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma

Return to Training