How to run?

GrumpySmurf

How to run?

Postby GrumpySmurf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:01 pm

To have some variety, I thought I should go back to try some running (just a bit though!). 9 months ago, I started the C25K (Couch to 5 K) program and did OK upto week 4/5 or so. I am now a lot fitter and lighter from cycling, so should be able to continue the program. But stupid basic questions I have for runners are;

- What do you wear that is comfortable? I get chaffing between my thighs in long walks. So, what shorts / shirt?
- Which shoes is the good one / which is not? Is spending more going to be better?
- Hydration - there's no bidon cage on my legs so where do you carry water?

Lastly, can I get the shoes / shorts / shirt etc from an online place cheaply?

uncle arthur

Re: How to run?

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:14 pm

GrumpySmurf wrote:To have some variety, I thought I should go back to try some running (just a bit though!). 9 months ago, I started the C25K (Couch to 5 K) program and did OK upto week 4/5 or so. I am now a lot fitter and lighter from cycling, so should be able to continue the program. But stupid basic questions I have for runners are;
GrumpySmurf wrote:- What do you wear that is comfortable? I get chaffing between my thighs in long walks. So, what shorts / shirt?
Running singlet or shirt - shirt made of lightweight wicking material - Mountain Designs often sell the right sort of thing out of their outlet stores as a thermal/hiking undershirt. Shorts - whatever light material feels good for you. I run in thigh length tights - like bikepants/skins only waaaay cheaper - plenty of options out there - Slazenger do one that you can get from Target/Kmart, or try Sports outlet stores.
GrumpySmurf wrote:- Which shoes is the good one / which is not? Is spending more going to be better?
The best shoes are the ones that fit you properly - go to a reputable sportshoe retailer, and buy for fit and function. No point in wearing a "bargain" if your feet hurt - and trust me - blisters suck a$$
GrumpySmurf wrote:- Hydration - there's no bidon cage on my legs so where do you carry water?
You can buy a bumbag with bottle holder that can also carry keys etc - I have one from Asics that cost me about $20
GrumpySmurf wrote:Lastly, can I get the shoes / shorts / shirt etc from an online place cheaply?
Torpedo7 has all sorts of good stuff in clothing and accessories, but unless you can hold your feet against your keyboard/monitor and they can measure your foot size, width, last (the curve of your foot from heel to toe) and assess your gait, I'd stick with a shoe store. Amart all sports has shoe clearances all the time - I buy from there. Make use of the staff to help you, and the savings to save $$$
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Unko

Postby Unko » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:56 am

wiggles have a runners section as well
09 Scott CR1 Team (Died)
Rodman 256
Cell Fxie

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:14 am

GrumpySmurf wrote:- What do you wear that is comfortable? I get chaffing between my thighs in long walks. So, what shorts / shirt?
Hi

I am very new to running so I just picked up initially a pair of running shorts and a wicking shirt from K Mart. Cost about $30 for the lot. I have since picked up a couple of shirts and pair of shorts from Wiggle. Again for around $20 to $25 per item.
Which shoes is the good one / which is not? Is spending more going to be better?
My shoes cost me $200 but I can really notice the difference over my previous "runners". I went to the shoe mob that has the tester that you walk over, Athletes Foot IIRC. Found them very good.

Regards
Andrew

neild

Postby neild » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am

I tend to wear a lot of Nike running specific gear, singlet, shorts and tights in winter. Not because I'm brand loyal, but because I get it cheap from the seconds / discount store in Melbourne. So basically I'd just say anything that is comfortable, lightweight and wicking.

You definitely need to get fitted for your first pair of running shoes. The different brands all have different fits and you will find some much more comfortable for your foot type than others - and that's even before you get to the whole motion control - stability - cushioning debate. As Aushiker said, go to a store where they actually look at you while you're running / assess what you need, not just try pushing a brand onto you. As for online purchase for shoes, once you have a brand etc that you like then I say go for it. I prefer Mizuno shoes and the last pair I bought were Wave Rider 11's from Wiggle for $90. Rebel sport had them for about $220! Though I had already had 2 pairs of these before so was pretty confident with the sizing and fit. Most expensive doesn't always mean best for you.

Chaffing will always be an issue, it's just a matter of building up to it. You can wear some form of tights (like skins) under your shorts which will help. The other option is something called Body Glide (I think that's what it's called). It's a lubricant that comes as a stick (think glue stick) that you put over the offending parts to stop chaffing. The other thing you will discover potentially is nipple chaffing! Never a pretty sight getting home with a couple of blood red streaks running down you top! I'm running the marathon this weekend so my distances are a bit longer than yours, just giving you a heads up. Again you can get little guards to put over them, and I've also read surgical tape works too.

As for carrying water etc. There are plenty of options out there. Again it's jsut about something that is comfortable and not too bulky. I've got a couple of different ones, fuel belt is one brand, but I just tend to take a single house key and $5 or so when I run now and plan the run to include water fountains. This isn't always possible but I would suggest not trying to take too much with you. The good thing about the fuel belts is that they use smaller bottles, so rather than having a single 5-600ml bottle to carry, you can have 3 or 4 200ml ones so you can spead the weight around. This also lets you mix up what you take - half just water and half gatoraid.

Good luck and keep it up. It's amazing how quickly you improve. Just remember to take it slow and not push yourself too hard too soon or try increasing you distances too quickly. Some of those online training guides or the ones in Runners World they publish every now and then are handy references.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks all for great responses.

pompom1

Postby pompom1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Funny you should post about running, on the side of riding more I have just started a running time trial of such. I go from my house to a hill called the skillion at Terrigal, google the beast lol. It only takes 1/2 an hour but I have to push myself and I find that this length of run is the most effective for both fitness and fat burning.

I just wear a singlet, shorts and some old runners. It probably depends on how serious you are going to take it and the distances you will run.

In terms of hydration I just have about 750ml before I leave.

Have fun getting into it, I have so far.

Oh yeah its far more fun if you can find a partner to run with too.

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:39 pm

GrumpySmurf wrote:To have some variety, I thought I should go back to try some running (just a bit though!). 9 months ago, I started the C25K (Couch to 5 K) program and did OK upto week 4/5 or so. I am now a lot fitter and lighter from cycling, so should be able to continue the program. But stupid basic questions I have for runners are;

- What do you wear that is comfortable? I get chaffing between my thighs in long walks. So, what shorts / shirt?
- Which shoes is the good one / which is not? Is spending more going to be better?

Interested to hear more about this C25K...

Anyway, when I used to run...

I wore baggy shorts, for me they work, a lot of people use running shorts, and if your prone to chafing this may be a good plan. Shirt, I always had something made for running, I wore shirts because I have girly guns, but a singlet will be cooler (but more area to get burnt).

In terms of shoes, as has been said, make sure you get a really good fit. For a long time I wore the wrong soe based on advice from a well known shoe store chain. Getting the right ones make a world of difference, and make sure you ask about shoe wear, they don't last for ever (or as long as most people think).

Hydration, I used to make sure I ran where I could get to water. A camelbak I don't think will be fun, carrying a water bottle is annoying and you've gotta be pretty keen to get one of those little belts.

Buying stuff online, give it a whirl if you're brave, I would as fit is very, very important with sporting gear (think comfort).
*** insert signature here ***

Pickles

Postby Pickles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi Cinder

There is a bit of info regarding the C25K program. Some people have developed podcasts to download that use music combined with narration for prompts. Some of the narration is pretty dry but it works. I have attached some of the resources for you.
Rob Ullrey's podcasts http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html
Steve Boyett's podcasts http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html
Graham has decifered the program from imperial to metric http://www.cairnscommunications.com/fit ... -to-5k.htm

I have used these resources and ran the Perth City2surf with my 8 yo son. It is a great way to ease back into running.

Good luck :D
Pickles

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:57 am

GrumpySmurf wrote: - What do you wear that is comfortable? I get chaffing between my thighs in long walks. So, what shorts / shirt?

shorts - whatever. Boardies or running baggies. I'm lucky it doesn't matter. Underwear choice is more important
Shirt - cotton polo in hot weather, bicycle jersey in cold (room for beanie, keys and gloves in pockets)
Shoes - one trip to the foot/knee doctor avoided pays for many, many shoes. Get proper running shoes fitted properly. (best advice my other half gave on running other than "go for a run. Now!")

Hydration - I don't run for more than an hour - and that only once in a while. Normally it's half that Rugby knees, you see. I can carb up/water up for that far.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:10 am

Cinder wrote:

Interested to hear more about this C25K...
I am doing it. Before I started C25k...
Run 1 - I ran a km. I was so out of breath and my heart was beating so hard I actually thought I was going to die. Went home.
Run 2 - I ran a km. I was so out of breath and my heart was beating so hard I actually thought I was going to die. Went home.
Quit running. Took up cycling. Much easier.
Decided to do a half ironman (mid life crisis :wink:)
C25k Week 1 Day 1 - run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, rinse and repeat 8 times (8 minutes of running)
Yes, I finished. It seemed easy. I was so sore that walking hurt for 10 days.
I quit running again.
Back to the half ironman thing again. I must learn how to run.
Day 1 60 seconds of running
Day 2 (a couple of days later) 2x60 second intervals
Day 3 (another couple of days) 4x60 seconds.
I think all up it was about 6 weeks before I completed Week 1 Day 1

Stuck to the program after that. By the end of Week 4 I ran my first 5k - 37 minutes.
End of Week 5, another 5k 32 minutes.

It does work.

I actually started enjoying running.
<removed by request>

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:45 am

I found the Coolrunning forums a great source of information http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/
They have a beginner section and heaps of feedback on the C25K program.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:44 pm

I was getting shin splints from jogging. Both my parents got into it pretty religiously for a couple months and I was consistently out-distancing them for the same time interval. Pretty quickly I just got up to jogging at roughly 12km/h for as long as my heart could stand, then walked until I was up for another jog. We did it over a 3km loop plus 500m warm up walk and I was jogging 2.5k's out of the 3 by the end I think, then the shin splints showed up. Got a proper pair of shoes but they didn't prevent it so I've stopped. I probably need orthotics as I think I have high arches :(
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

bongo

Postby bongo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:50 pm

Running is a tough transition from the low impact sport of cycling.Certainly not impossible, just hard to keep motivated when after the first few runs every muscle in the legs are sore.Clothing will be personal preference, if you chafe, skins or unpadded bike shorts will be an option. shoes are specific as your bike seat. Go to a shop and get fitted properly for the first time, after that the internet will save you. My brother now buys from wiggle knowing his size and sticking with the model he is comfortable with.Persistence is the key, intervals similar to cycling will improve times/distances, the feeling of a new PB time is similar to that of slaying the climb you once feared,or riding a familiar route faster. An ipod or mp3 will help heaps.Motivating tunes can help push you, keep you working hard, unlike cycling where I believe the rush of 60kmph+ descent is enough to get you up the next hill.Enjoy running.It is actually good for you.Just my opinion.........

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 pm

bike shorts under normal boardshorts

if you get a chance, check out the nike frees. best running shoe by far. wiggle (believe it or not) also has a dedicated 'run' section.
water??!?? ingest before the run!!

also, check out this site http://www.newton-running.com.au/run-be ... nning-form
What are these salesmen peddling?

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:25 pm

my key to running is to keep the chest up.

i wear a running singlet and running shorts (weather depending)

drink before and after a run

oh and good shoes that fit and and made for you foor type and the way you run are like gold!!!!!!!
when do we stop for coffee???

zoomer

Postby zoomer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm a fitness freak thats why i only recently got into cycling to do less running and gym etc but keeping up the fitness and I love it.
For me running shorts with the built in undies are the best, I used to chaff when wearing the undies/boxers under the shorts and havent looked back since, and I only wear a good fitting singlet but not so baggy that your always adjusting while your running but a nice firm fit.
As for shoes spend the cash and get a decent pair of Asics (i bought a pair for $300), trust me these shoes are unbeleiveably comfortable and they really do make a big difference. When you have 4 times your body weight (380kg for me) going through your feet while running only a decent shoe like Asics are designed specifically to cushion the soles.
Cheers

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:34 pm

zoomer wrote:

I'm a fitness freak thats why i only recently got into cycling to do less running and gym etc but keeping up the fitness and I love it.
For me running shorts with the built in undies are the best, I used to chaff when wearing the undies/boxers under the shorts and havent looked back since, and I only wear a good fitting singlet but not so baggy that your always adjusting while your running but a nice firm fit.
As for shoes spend the cash and get a decent pair of Asics (i bought a pair for $300), trust me these shoes are unbeleiveably comfortable and they really do make a big difference. When you have 4 times your body weight (380kg for me) going through your feet while running only a decent shoe like Asics are designed specifically to cushion the soles.
Cheers

+1

i have a 10km fun run this week end, the bigest one in Oz.......must break 40mins and dodge LOTS of people
when do we stop for coffee???

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:57 pm

GrumpySmurf wrote:But stupid basic questions I have for runners are;
I lost my running shorts so used some rugger shorts. I got bad chafing on a very short run so looked for something else. I am actually running in Anaconda knicks because they barely have any padding. They seem to be working so far but if need be I will unstich the padding and remove it and make these dedicated running shorts. Anyway, they stop the chafing :oops:

I am just using coolmax type material running singlets but if I was going to run on a sunny day for too long I would wear a long sleeved coolmax type top. I got my singlets from New Balance for $10. There is an outlet at Harbour Town.

P.S. not a stupid questions at all.
<removed by request>

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:59 pm

You don't need to drink while running -if the run is less than say 40 min, but it does get uncomfortable, especially for us cyclists who are used to having a bottle availabe at arms length.

SO... why don't you work out a loop that gets back to your house after say 20 min of running, that way you can leave a bottle on the doorstep (or in the letterbox) for a couple of quick gulps each lap before setting off again.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish