Training Question

The foundations for successful riding

Training Question

Postby jamierk » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi everyone

I was hoping for some advice about endurance based workouts which i usually add once or twice a week to my usual program of rides. Typical week for me looks like:

Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Strength work (seated climbs)
Wednesday - Endurance
Thursday - Intervals, typically at v02 max
Friday - Recovery
Saturday - Long Ride
Sunday - Endurance

My question was to do with the Endurance type of work, which is primarily aimed at increasing aerobic base. Typically the length of the ride is about 2-3 hours and i generally try to keep the power around zones 2-4 as consistently as possible. Often these rides involve short climbs of up to 10-15 minutes and my question was, i can choose to push those climbs and maintain a power in zone 5 (V02 max) or ease up the climbs more with a power more in zone (4) threshold. I am unsure of which would be most beneficial on those rides? Is there any point in approaching v02 max on aerobic endurance rides?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jamie
jamierk

by BNA » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:22 pm

BNA

Re: Training Question

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:22 pm

It sounds like your "Endurance" rides are a bit more solid than a straight Zone 2-3 Endurance rides...as you have said you are riding up to Sub Threshold Pace for a fair part of your ride.
But hard to comment on your program with out knowing more accurately what you are doing within your rides...and where in your season you are...up coming goals etc.
For me that would be an early season type program about Jan...with still a few months before I start racing.
Also depends whether you know your FTP accurately yet?.
toolonglegs

Re: Training Question

Postby jamierk » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:51 pm

toolonglegs wrote:It sounds like your "Endurance" rides are a bit more solid than a straight Zone 2-3 Endurance rides...as you have said you are riding up to Sub Threshold Pace for a fair part of your ride.
But hard to comment on your program with out knowing more accurately what you are doing within your rides...and where in your season you are...up coming goals etc.
For me that would be an early season type program about Jan...with still a few months before I start racing.
Also depends whether you know your FTP accurately yet?.

Thats kinda where i am. I've had a few interruptions this year with injuries, bike change, change in position etc. So this is now at the end of a solid 2 months of endurance/base training, without many interval based sessions. As summer approaches i've got some crits i'd like to do well in, but i am at least 2-3 months away from peak performance. As you probably saw in the other thread i have running, i need to finish the accurate measure of FTP. I measured it with Alex in a 20 minute TT about 4 months ago but it was before i had a knee injury which kept me off the bike for a month. Based on my performance on the bike, it feels like my threashold is about the same place, but some more data would definitely help.

Thanks

Jamie
jamierk

Return to Training