indoor trainer + track bike = ?

The foundations for successful riding

indoor trainer + track bike = ?

Postby Strawburger » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 am

Hi all,

Just saw the post from tripstobaltimore about this section being a little light on recently. i thought i'd post this one up.

I am about to jump back on the bike after a lengthy layoff due to a crash. The arms aren't very good so i thought i may be able to throw the track bike on the indoor trainer and get the legs rolling over whilst the arms were building up enough strength to brake & change gears. That way hopefully i'm in some sort of condition to race once the arms have healed up and strong again.

Any suggestions as to what i can do with a fixed gear bike on the trainers? Keeping in mind all riding will be upright with no arms on the bars.

i'm thinking intervals, say 5 or so "kilo's" with a minute or two rest in between to start off with. Any other suggestions?
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
Strawburger

by BNA » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:12 pm

BNA

Re: indoor trainer + track bike = ?

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Probably a case of trying to see what you can and can't do. Any riding is going to assist you in your recovery.

Sitting upright is likely to give you a sore behind. But what choice do you have?

Another option is to join a gym for a while and do the spin/RPM classes. The handlebars can be adjusted quite high and are fairly close to you. Email me if you want to discuss
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: indoor trainer + track bike = ?

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:44 pm

well I feel I should response, afetr complaining from a lack of activity....

There's no reason why you can't put your road bike on the trainer either, but what ever floats your boat...

Have a look here:

http://www.training4cyclists.com/effect ... r-cycling/

or here:

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

to start with. Have fun!
tripstobaltimore

Return to Training