SRM Didnt Read - Calculating TSS from HR Data?

The foundations for successful riding

SRM Didnt Read - Calculating TSS from HR Data?

Postby skip9 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Ok so I changed my power meter from my road bike to my TT and went for a long ride only to discover a problem of my Garmin not reading the SRM power readings. Anyway i still have all other information just not wattage. Is there anyway of calculating a TSS from other information such as HR? I have read somewhere that if you multiply your time in each HR Zone and then multiply it by something else etc. you can come up with a good estimate. Does anybody have any suggestions?

This also brings me to another question. Why wouldnt my SRM produce any readings? It was a simple swap from one bike to another..
skip9

by BNA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 pm

BNA

Re: SRM Didnt Read - Calculating TSS from HR Data?

Postby tripstobaltimore » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 pm

cadence magnet issue perhaps? The only thing I could think of....
tripstobaltimore

Re: SRM Didnt Read - Calculating TSS from HR Data?

Postby DanielS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:29 am

I would just assume a certain TSS/hr by looking at a previous ride of similar intensity (e.g. if you did a similar ride that was 3 hrs and 210 TSS then assume 70 TSS/hr). Then multiply that by the number of hours that you rode for. I don't believe that CTL and ATL are that sensitive to the occasional inaccuracy.

You could do something more complex -- they key would be to recognise that 1 hr at FTP = 100 TSS. So you could assume that 1 hr at LTHR = 100 TSS and go from there. I don't think it would be worth it for one ride though.
DanielS

Return to Training