V02Max training question

The foundations for successful riding

V02Max training question

Postby ft_critical » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 pm

This applies to power also, but I am using my heart rate. V02Max is 175bpm.
If I want to do a session at 90% of V02Max, do I just 175 x 0.9 = 158bpm target? This works until you get to doing recovery at 50% of V02Max which is 87bpm. I can't walk briskly at that low a heart rate?

What I did was take my resting heart rate away e.g., 175 – 50 x 0.90 + 50. This is more realistic. Any programs I do based on V02Max are based on this calc instead.

However, I wonder if I am supposed to do it based on my moving around HR e.g., 70bpm.

What is the RIGHT way to work out the % of V02Max?
ft_critical

by BNA » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:51 pm

BNA

Re: V02Max training question

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:51 pm

You can't effectively use HR for guiding efforts at that level (anything supra threshold), the response time lag is far too long and you may not even get HR into "level/zone" until final minute, if at all. You'll need to do it based on a sense of appropriate pacing (e.g. what you can sustain effort/speed wise for 4-6 minutes x however many intervals you plan on doing), turbo trainer speed or power output of course (best).

It is one of the limitations of using HRMs.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby ft_critical » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:You can't effectively use HR for guiding efforts at that level (anything supra threshold), the response time lag is far too long and you may not even get HR into "level/zone" until final minute, if at all. You'll need to do it based on a sense of appropriate pacing (e.g. what you can sustain effort/speed wise for 4-6 minutes x however many intervals you plan on doing), turbo trainer speed or power output of course (best).

Thanks Alex. I have actually been using speed on the trainer. It is interesting - doing sets of sprints or sets of say 5min efforts the HR builds. Even after resting between sets, to maintain the same effort requires a higher HR. You can really see that redline effect building during an interval session. I do think the HRM has a role to play in Pacing.

So how do you do the calc using FTP? Is 90% of FTP just FTP x 0.9 or do you take off an amount - e.g., the amount of power that just turns the pedals without effort?
ft_critical

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

ft_critical wrote:I do think the HRM has a role to play in Pacing.

Not for supra-threshold efforts.

ft_critical wrote:So how do you do the calc using FTP? Is 90% of FTP just FTP x 0.9 or do you take off an amount - e.g., the amount of power that just turns the pedals without effort?

Intervals designed to elicit a state of VO2max are typically performed at around 106-120% of FTP, with duration and rest intervals varying accordingly.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Return to Training