Barriers to entry from starting riding to competing?

The foundations for successful riding

Postby stinhambo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Obviously it helps if you are young or very physically fit to start road racing but what is the 'lowest level' you know of (age, weight, fitness etc) a person taking up riding and have some success (by success I mean finishing or not making an embarrasment of themselves)?
stinhambo

by BNA » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 am

BNA

Postby Redbull » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 am

41 years, 120kgs, moderate fitness - success? Well if getting out there and having a go, getting fitter, meeting interesting new people counts as success - then yes with success.

Only barriers are the ones you place in front of yourself.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Re: Barriers to entry from starting riding to competing?

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 am

No barrier, just miles/ks in the legs. Get out there and do the training and get into it. :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby stinhambo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 am

Did 31km today! Beating my record by 10km. Getting there!
stinhambo

Postby JV911 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:22 am

Redbull wrote:Only barriers are the ones you place in front of yourself.

+1

just get in there and have a crack. people will respect you for doing so :)
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby r2160 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:49 am

Just for your info, at the 2009 UCI world Masters Track cycling, there were 11 starters in the 70-74 years age category scratch race . . .

There were 7 starters in the 75 years and over 500m time trial and they averaged from 42.8 to 50 secs for the 500m . . .

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong
r2160

Postby timbo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Join a club, and go on their training rides.

A lot of clubs have training rides for fast groups and not so fast groups, and you will find riding with a like minded bunch of people is great motivation.

You can join purely for the training rides to start off with, and when your fitness and confidence increases, have a go at racing.

Don't be put off by people telling you that you should be doing X km/h before you start racing, as those same race meetings will have people doing less than that, and sure, eventually getting dropped when the pace quickens, but they still enjoy the ride, and have that bit of motivation for extra training.
timbo

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 pm

stinhambo wrote:Obviously it helps if you are young or very physically fit to start road racing but what is the 'lowest level' you know of (age, weight, fitness etc) a person taking up riding and have some success (by success I mean finishing or not making an embarrasment of themselves)?

Our club is small, and because of that we do a lot of handicap racing - as long as you can complete the race distance, after a few weeks the handicapper will have you sorted out pretty well so that you are in the competition. I like it because it gives everyone a go, you also get the chance to take turns with riders who are a lot better than you (when you get caught) and everyone has a chance. It also requires less helpers ie. follow cars etc.. If you can find a club that does some handicap racing that'd be good for you, our oldest competitor is 89 years old and he still gets in the mix.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby stinhambo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Wow that's very encouraging. I don't have a road bike yet aiming for 2,000km before I can get one) but I might email my local (Cairns Cycling Club) and ask about training etc and number of members.
stinhambo

Postby brawlo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:15 pm

The only barrier is you. I started racing this season. I did social rides last summer but did nothing over the winter. My aim was to get into track racing as my daughter was doing it. I got asked if I would be doing road and I thought perhaps not, but I just got in there and had a go. At 33 I'm not old but I was seriously unfit. I really struggled the first few times but was mid field. We have a mix of 30+ through to 60+ riders in our club c grade. Some might not perform that well but we're always encouraging. When they finish with a smile, that's the object.

I've now worked my way to winning the c grade road races and the most daunting thing is thinking about the natural progression to B grade. I personally think that's scarier than making the first step into racing!
brawlo

Postby stinhambo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:12 pm

brawlo wrote:The only barrier is you. I started racing this season. I did social rides last summer but did nothing over the winter. I got asked if I would be doing road and I thought perhaps not, but I just got in there and had a go. At 33 I'm not old but I was seriously unfit. I really struggled the first few times but was mid field.

I'm a similar age and I've just upped my distance and intensity today, trying to mix in some bursts of speed (sitting position), some very small climbs etc. Today I did 31km in 1:22 on the mountain bike (16kg!) but by the end I was knackered.

If it's raining I'm on the eliptical.

brawlo wrote:I've now worked my way to winning the c grade road races and the most daunting thing is thinking about the natural progression to B grade. I personally think that's scarier than making the first step into racing!

Impressive!

A great goal for me would be to learn more about racing, perhaps enter some then go for the Tour de Tableland in June! Could I do it? mmm
stinhambo

Postby ireland57 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Cairns would be a great place to train. All those hills, one hour to the Tablelands; a strong cycle club on the Tablelands. Wow.

+1 for an above post.....get in a club. When you get a bit fitter you can start doing either Chino rides or weekday group rides (your local bike shop will have something sorted I'm sure). Depending on fitness level you may go well at them right away. Some riders do.

I'm hoping to do the Tour de Tablelands this year as well as a few crits. It all depends on the knees and what they'll cope with. I may have to wait until next year but I'm aiming at 2011. I'll be signing up for a few crits as well but mtn biking is the priority for me.

I actually race mtn bikes but became a roadie as well....... :? because I loved it too.

I did one roadie event in 2010..... a short TT hillclimb last year and didn't come last (beat some babies and a 400 yo) 8) . I'd never ridden up it before at all as I had standard gearing and it meant I had to stand the whole way. But it took 14 mins. The record is 9m ??s. That was about as good as it got on the roadie.

No weight problems but the 53 years of living made me wonder what the fook I was doing half way up. :( :mrgreen: :oops: :x :shock: :shock: :D 8) :roll:

It was great fun.

Give it a shot man. Drag some mates with you. I've got 5 people seriously interested in biking since I started. That's to say.....they're as nutty as I am.
ireland57

Postby stinhambo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Ireland,

It would be great to meet up for the Tour de Tableland! I'm continuing to ride and I guess train on the sturdy mtb.

I'll get in contact with the local club and see what they have to say. I'm not looking to get a road bike until April but that gives me about 10 weeks of leg busting cycling to look forward to until I do!
stinhambo

Postby ireland57 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 am

I look forward to it.

Even mtn biking on the road is (maybe even better than the roadie) is great exercise.
There is just no hiding from anything.

My son is racing there so we should be there. That's the plan anyway.
ireland57

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:44 pm

I gave an E grade crit a shot the other week to see if it's something I want to add to the gazillions of other biking things I do :oops:. I'd never done one & wasn't out to prove anything other than.."I did it!" . (I only started riding w a group in late September as I was becoming a bit freaked out by folks zipping past me both on the road & the dirt..Am still happy to ride on my own though!)

Let me tell ya....I was with quite a few men 50 yrs my senior, 1 woman 30yrs my senior & had a hard time keeping up :oops: but they were super friendly & encouraging.

There are too many forms of cycling... :shock: and not enough time to do them all.

I'm about to give track another shot :shock:.
crazycanuck

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Track is very under rated in my opinion Crazycanuck and much more enjoyable than road from my point of view. :mrgreen:

Even if you are only (not to putting down lower grade riders here) B C D E grade rider, if you are in a fast race for your grade, then it is a great feeling when you come off at the finish of it. 8)

Track you need to be a bit sharper in you reactions to get the most out of it. Just get into it and enjoy it. :mrgreen:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:58 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Let me tell ya....I was with quite a few men 50 yrs my senior, 1 woman 30yrs my senior & had a hard time keeping up :oops: but they were super friendly & encouraging.

This is a good thing to hear! I'm sure I'll be comparable to a snail but I guess the best way to get experience is to get experience and race!
stinhambo

Return to Training