HOw big is big enough - fan for use with indoor trainer?

Hugor

Re: HOw big is big enough - fan for use with indoor trainer?

Postby Hugor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:40 am

ft_critical wrote: I run a portable Air-conditioner plus one fan. Portable AC are cheaper than the industrial fans, I don't know why more people don't snap them up instead. Mine has my screen, computer and sound system sitting on top of it. Too cold for use in winter though.
I'm interested for a friend who's always complaining about this. What model do you use?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:59 am

Hugor wrote:
ft_critical wrote: I run a portable Air-conditioner plus one fan. Portable AC are cheaper than the industrial fans, I don't know why more people don't snap them up instead. Mine has my screen, computer and sound system sitting on top of it. Too cold for use in winter though.
I'm interested for a friend who's always complaining about this. What model do you use?
Hello Hugor, I am envious of your training cave!

I use a Calibra,which is very old. But I noticed from a cursory look on ebay there are some much better air conditioners than mine for around 100 dollars.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:19 am

Different maths to me... fan of doom 200, AC is 350 (and you'd get the 440 dollar one just in case). Interested though, once I get over my current lack of interest in the trainer :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:37 pm

I bought one of these yesterday. It's a massive thing, probably *too* big.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/dynabreeze-7 ... l_p4448701

Anyway, I did a two hour sufferfest session today and with it on the minimum setting it is the first time ever I've been cold on the trainer. It is also the first time ever I didn't leave a pool of sweat on the garage floor. In fact I got off the bike dry.

Come winter, I think I'm going to have to wear a windproof jacket! :shock:

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:57 pm

How does this look for a trainer fan? https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-75cm- ... e_p4441825

I'm using a cheap pedestal fan now but it doesn't go high enough to reach my head. Air flow isn't bad, remote control is good though. Don't want to be cold like TG with the fan above!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:01 am

hamishm wrote:How does this look for a trainer fan? https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-75cm- ... e_p4441825

I'm using a cheap pedestal fan now but it doesn't go high enough to reach my head. Air flow isn't bad, remote control is good though. Don't want to be cold like TG with the fan above!
I bought the standard 3-speed version at the start of summer. It sat in the garage for 3 months, then I unboxed it and set it up. Damn, it is powerful. Setting 1 should be enough. Setting 3 is insane.

The wouldn't you know it, Bunnings finally decides to bring in the remote controlled one. Same motor, but it has 19 speeds available instead of just 3. Presumably that means you can find a speed that works for you a but more easily, and it's the one I would have gone for had it been available back in September. The remote one is only $20 more than I paid for the standard one.
Anyway, I am just going to stick with the manual one for now, and if it becomes a pain then I'll look at upgrading to the remote version next year
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Remote is great so you can warm up and then switch it on. But 75cm and 24kg and 280W might be a bit too much.. there's an 85W one available (almost double my current 45W) but it's not remote controlled.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:57 pm

hamishm wrote:Remote is great so you can warm up and then switch it on. But 75cm and 24kg and 280W might be a bit too much.. there's an 85W one available (almost double my current 45W) but it's not remote controlled.
I have an Arlec High Velocity 50cm floor fan which is 85W. It's probably the same one you are looking at. It won't help you.
The 75cm fan, despite being on the big side, it will keep you cool. I don't know what the lower and upper speed range is for the remote controlled version. If it gives a nice even step up to max power, it would probably be perfect. The 280W motor is a monster. This is the real deal. You absolutely will not sweat. It will simulate a 90km/h descent down Mt Ventoux with no effort :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:56 pm

queequeg wrote:The 75cm fan, despite being on the big side, it will keep you cool. I don't know what the lower and upper speed range is for the remote controlled version. If it gives a nice even step up to max power, it would probably be perfect. The 280W motor is a monster. This is the real deal. You absolutely will not sweat. It will simulate a 90km/h descent down Mt Ventoux with no effort :-)
I got the Arlcec. (https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-75cm- ... e_p4441825). It's big, but actually fits in my room quite well. It has does 500 - 1500 RPM in 50 RPM increments (19 speeds). 500 rpm is a gentle breeze, 1500 rpm is a hurricane. By the end of my ride I just now was up to 750 rpm... the remote works great.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:07 am

hamishm wrote:
queequeg wrote:The 75cm fan, despite being on the big side, it will keep you cool. I don't know what the lower and upper speed range is for the remote controlled version. If it gives a nice even step up to max power, it would probably be perfect. The 280W motor is a monster. This is the real deal. You absolutely will not sweat. It will simulate a 90km/h descent down Mt Ventoux with no effort :-)
I got the Arlcec. (https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-75cm- ... e_p4441825). It's big, but actually fits in my room quite well. It has does 500 - 1500 RPM in 50 RPM increments (19 speeds). 500 rpm is a gentle breeze, 1500 rpm is a hurricane. By the end of my ride I just now was up to 750 rpm... the remote works great.

Awesome. I might need to consider switching to the remote controlled model. The version I have is 3 speed, which I describe as "Fast", "Faster", Fastest". No idea what the RPM is for each of the 3 Speeds, but it is the same motor. Having the remote would be very handy for the trainer.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:42 am

Tip for all fan users (whether for cycle training or just general use). Clean the fan blades every so often. The gradual accumulation of dust/dirt on the fan, especially the leading edge of the blade, makes a huge difference to the performance of the fan.

If you have an old domestic fan you don't use because it doesn't move the air so well and can see the blades have accumulated grime on them, give them a good wipe down and try the fan again - you'll be amazed at the difference.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Tail wind training ...
8) :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Any airflow is good enough. I never liked having a fan blasting directly in my face - that's my prefered option.

Another thing about keeping fans clean is to not have all that dust blowing about.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Not showing any industrial pedestal fans with remotes at Bunnings website for me...

What about the industrial floor fans - anyone using them? Any good?
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:58 pm

tcdev wrote:What about the industrial floor fans - anyone using them? Any good?
I bought a Fanmaster Industrial Floor Fan. Cheapskate that I am, I bought the non-remote model.
It now sits in the home office as I moved my trainer outside. Mmmm - natural breeze.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Using the 45cm high velocity fan from Target. It sits on the ground and i aim it to shoot the body sideways.....according to Shane Miller that's more effective. Tt's decent and powerful enough but on a hot day you're still moving hot air around :( . I'm getting a 2nd tabletop fan to aim at just the head.

That large 750mm bunnings will be good - i stood next to it once in bunnings and thought it was very good for a fan and i felt chilled. It sure felt huge though....if i had not gotten the 45cm target fan i might get the bunnings instead.

Good tip on cleaning the fan blades - Alex.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:18 pm

I've now placed the fan firing upwards from the front and i like how it would cool my hands and body....it feels much better than having the fan placed to the side.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:13 pm

tcdev wrote:Not showing any industrial pedestal fans with remotes at Bunnings website for me...

What about the industrial floor fans - anyone using them? Any good?
You have to go into the store, and stock would vary by location.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:51 am

tcdev wrote:Not showing any industrial pedestal fans with remotes at Bunnings website for me...
Really? I bought this just a week ago. https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-75cm- ... e_p4441825

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Funny this old thread got pulled up again :)

I now have one of these http://www.tqbbrands.com.au/tradequip-1015 but the slightly older 380W version.

Agree with pretty much all of the above:
  • Cleaning the blades does make a difference in performance but also noise
  • Big 3 speed fan has fast, faster and fastest
  • With a proper fan I don;t sweat well I do but I am assuming it evaporates as it should?
In answer to my original question 750mm is not too big in fact I think it is about right having spent time with little fans this big guy sees me doing heavy internal sessions with barely (if any) a sweat drip falling off my body but once I stop and the fan is off I sweat heaps till I cool.

Dang wish I had a remote although I am happy being a little to start then once I am pedalling air flow is needed I am a sweater :)
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 am

I don't know if I've mentioned it before (probably) but the need to have a lot of airflow for cooling is emphasised by the fact that for every watt we generate at the cranks, we also generate about 3 to 4 watts of waste heat.

That means when you are doing efforts say at 300W, you are also generating the heat output of a hair dryer, or one of those plug in electric heaters on half setting.

We are evaporation air cooled engines so having sufficient air flow really helps. Once our core temp begins to rise beyond a certain point, performance degrades.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:51 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:That means when you are doing efforts say at 300W, you are also generating the heat output of a hair dryer
Good. I sound like one as well.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:30 pm

hamishm wrote:Really? I bought this just a week ago. https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-75cm- ... e_p4441825
That just takes me to the Bunnings homepage. Guessing because my 'local' store doesn't stock it.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 am

I am certainly not regretting getting the 280W 75cm Arlec monster. The airflow is good and so is the remote control. And it's actually quite nice for cooling my office on other days too!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:42 pm

I employ one of these
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-50cm- ... n_p4441707

Cheap, lightweight (easy to move) and it cranks out the air.
Also the all plastic construction is easy to keep clean when you run the vacuum over it.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass