Training Tips for a beginner.

The foundations for successful riding

Training Tips for a beginner.

Postby Solirossi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Basically there is a 50k loop I ride regular. It has a 5k climb at a constant 5% (norton Summit)

I generally just 'ride' it but is there any tips you wiser heads have for me to make the ride more beneficial. I have a HR monitor and a basic bike computer. For examp,e should I be doing repeated efforts up the climb (ie intervals) just going as hard as possible the whole way etc... I only really get to ride this once or twice a week. I then do one session on the rollers at home mid week.

I suppose if there is a way I could be maximizing my gains in the limited time I get to spend on the bike that is what I'd love to know. Also I tend to ride hills every ride, would flat rides be a good idea too? Perhaps some flat rides with sprints might help my legs bulk up!
Solirossi

by BNA » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 pm

BNA

Re: Training Tips for a beginner.

Postby liamb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi Solirossi

One thing I have found is working how to make the most of the climb. For example when I first started I just stuck it in the easiest gear and just rode till I couldnt turn the pedals. As I have got fitter and improved my pedal technique I have learnt to make the most of the flats ie pedal a bit harder, and concentrate on good pedal technique when you are sitting pedaling on the steaper parts and stand up for 30 seconds out of the turns.
The best advice I can give you though is go to some spin classes. I have done 3, 8 week sessions at Mega bike. They teach you the correct pedal technique and riding technique. They also tech you how to use your heart rates to make the most of your riding. After the first 8 week set I was keeping up with groups and blasting up Norton Sumit 3 mins quicker. I now give the spin classes a miss every second block and use suffer fest and spinervals at home. I have a 2 year old and another one on the way but I have got the basics down and can train on my own and train with help and now ride much better and faster and further, (122km at grandslam 3) faster than I rode ride like crazy.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!
liamb

Postby Solirossi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks Bill,

Some good tips there, id never really thought to go to a spin class but I might have to give it a go based on your recc.

Its good to hear some feedback on different approaches and so on, I think possibly more regular, even if shorter rides would be beneficial.

Thanks again.
Solirossi

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:15 pm

It will help a bit more Solirossi if you give some idea, of what or how far you want to go in cycling. :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:56 pm

The good thing about Norton Summit is it is usually fairly busy with cyclists, just chase everyone, chase the slower riders up ahead, if a faster bunch come past try and chase them for as long as you can hold on. Once you can no longer chase have a bit of a breather until you see another rider to chase, then go again.
You'll look a bit silly chasing the SASI riders up the hill but it will be a nice short hard interval :oops:
Scott CR1, Kuota Kharma
you cannot be sirrus

Postby Ross » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:45 pm

I like doing hill training in a big gear. Still keep in your small chain ring at front and maybe the middle cog on rear and see if you can push the big gear all the way to top while sitting down. Don't try and race it, just try to get there at whatever pace is comfortable. This builds up strength.
Ross

Postby DanielS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:00 pm

It depends what you want to achieve. If you are only riding 2-3 times a week at present you might struggle to get any huge improvements.

Typically the simplest way to make gains is to ride more, or ride harder. If you can do your Norton Summit rides at a steady but hard pace, that would be a good start. Don't worry about "strength" (big gear) training - for someone on your volume it might just do more harm than good.

Flat rides with sprints will make you a better sprinter, but that has nothing to do with leg bulk!
DanielS

Postby Solirossi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks for the info.

As far as what id like to achieve. Basically just get fitter and stronger in general. My current best up Nortons is a 18.45, a normal ride for me now is probably a high 19 or low 20, ie when im riding up there at a steady pace. I suppose a goal id like to aim for is to crack 18 up there. Iv given myself to the end of the year to do it. Not sure how realistic that is though.

I cant say I will aim to race or anything as i really dont have the time to dedicate to that.

I suppose id like to be A grade fast and put in next to no effort!!! Ha nah just to improve as much as anything else.

Planning to do 40k loop before work tomorrow, for those that know the climb Ansteys Hill, 3.5k at 6-7%
Solirossi

Return to Training