Mt Coot-tha training

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5358
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 pm

RobertL wrote:There were a few of Queensland's "finest" armed with radar guns on the front descent last evening. I point this out because there had apparently been debate in our group* about whether the cops ever set up here after dark.

They do! And they were busy booking cars and motorbikes when we went past.

* I'm a newbie - this is the 3rd Coot-tha ride that I've done with them.

I'm literally shocked.

I think though that the "operations" in the mornings are primarily aimed at push bike riders. I reckon the ones in the evening are aimed at other road user groups. I'm saying that simply because in the evening there is more motor traffic than pushbike, unlike the mornings.

Interestingly - they operate those speed traps in contravention of their guidelines that say they are not to operate on a steep downhill unless there is a demonstrable accident history at the site. There certainly is nothing in the accident database for pushbikes on the front, which ironically makes it one of the safest locations for riding.

RobertL
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Comedian wrote:Interestingly - they operate those speed traps in contravention of their guidelines that say they are not to operate on a steep downhill unless there is a demonstrable accident history at the site. There certainly is nothing in the accident database for pushbikes on the front, which ironically makes it one of the safest locations for riding.


Yeah - I feel pretty safe on that road. It's wide and smooth. It has a wide painted bike lane for part of it. It has vehicles that must (surely?) be used to seeing bicycles. And I'm generally going as fast as they are.

I don't know about the accident database, but one of our guys crashed a couple of weeks ago. It was my first ride with them, and he flatted his front tyre going round downhill just past Channel 9. He had no major injuries, so we thought that he was OK at first, but he had hit his head and cracked his helmet. Then we all realised that he was a bit dazed and confuses so we called an ambulance. They took him to RBH and released him later that night.

Does that sort of incident make the accident database?

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5358
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:05 pm

RobertL wrote:
Comedian wrote:Interestingly - they operate those speed traps in contravention of their guidelines that say they are not to operate on a steep downhill unless there is a demonstrable accident history at the site. There certainly is nothing in the accident database for pushbikes on the front, which ironically makes it one of the safest locations for riding.


Yeah - I feel pretty safe on that road. It's wide and smooth. It has a wide painted bike lane for part of it. It has vehicles that must (surely?) be used to seeing bicycles. And I'm generally going as fast as they are.

I don't know about the accident database, but one of our guys crashed a couple of weeks ago. It was my first ride with them, and he flatted his front tyre going round downhill just past Channel 9. He had no major injuries, so we thought that he was OK at first, but he had hit his head and cracked his helmet. Then we all realised that he was a bit dazed and confuses so we called an ambulance. They took him to RBH and released him later that night.

Does that sort of incident make the accident database?

Good question. I suspect if the police weren't involved then probably not. But I'll ask...

adam0bmx0
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Good to know, I've done the LIfecycle Tue night rides a lot in the past and this is the 1st time ive heard them being there at night!

adam0bmx0
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Yeeeew, new PR up Cootha back for me, 7:39 for the Santos segment. Happy with that. :mrgreen: Had my commuting backpack on and various bits in it too!

jasonc
Posts: 9434
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:41 pm

wrong segment adam. well done
7:44 for the real segment is flying.
Image

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5358
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:14 am

jasonc wrote:wrong segment adam. well done
7:44 for the real segment is flying.

Yes, Bravo! :mrgreen:

RobertL
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Ok - quick question, because I am confused about the various Coot-tha Back Strava segments. Do you all use:

https://www.strava.com/segments/9639435

or

https://www.strava.com/segments/615163 ?

Because I have been using the first of those two, and I now realise that it is a bit shorter, and so I am worried that I might be even slower than I thought compared to everyone else on this board. What's worse, I've got a couple of other guys using that first segment, so I may have to tell them too.

jasonc
Posts: 9434
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm

it's this one (so the latter)
https://www.strava.com/segments/615163
Image

RobertL
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 pm

jasonc wrote:it's this one (so the latter)
https://www.strava.com/segments/615163


Bugger. I'm 45 seconds slower than I thought!

jasonc
Posts: 9434
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:32 pm

did my 600th climb of the back of coot-tha for all time this morning
Image

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:29 pm

jasonc wrote:did my 600th climb of the back of coot-tha for all time this morning

impressive
Image

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3428
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:58 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
jasonc wrote:did my 600th climb of the back of coot-tha for all time this morning

impressively boring*


*Fixed it for you Jason :P

jasonc
Posts: 9434
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
jasonc wrote:did my 600th climb of the back of coot-tha for all time this morning

impressively boring*


*Fixed it for you Jason :P

A categorised climb 15kms from home that's on the way to work is hard to ignore
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users