Mt Coot-tha training

RobertL
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:31 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:I saw police on the bottom of the front descent last night (around 6pm), came around the long sweeping corner doing 65km/h, had to scrub off speed pretty sharpish, luckily they didn't flag me down at the T-junction stop sign.

I also got a Cootha front x 3 PR, with 27.03 which put me at 8th fastest of all time for that segment. :D


I saw that on Strava - with your backpack! Chapeau, indeed.
Image

adam0bmx0
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm

RobertL wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:I saw police on the bottom of the front descent last night (around 6pm), came around the long sweeping corner doing 65km/h, had to scrub off speed pretty sharpish, luckily they didn't flag me down at the T-junction stop sign.

I also got a Cootha front x 3 PR, with 27.03 which put me at 8th fastest of all time for that segment. :D


I saw that on Strava - with your backpack! Chapeau, indeed.


Ha yea, I keep the battery pack in there for my bike's electric motor. :D

RobertL
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am

So, I achieved a major milestone that I had set myself yesterday. I reduced my PR on Coot-tha to 12:00 exactly (hmm, another second would have been nice!).

That’s quite an accomplishment for me.

Some history - I got back onto a bike in mid-2015 and started commuting on an old MTB. I was fat and lazy and weighed 120kg.

I got interested in it and pretty quickly bought a second-hand road bike. In November that year, I decided to try this Mt Coot-tha climb that I had heard about. It took me over 24 minutes and I had to stop twice. It nearly killed me.

I kept riding to work and added some solo rides. I was getting fitter bit by bit and losing weight. In February 2016 I went back to Coot-tha and got up in 20 minutes, without stopping.

Shortly after that, I started doing group rides. Each of those rides has some sort of hill segment, and I started monitoring my progress on Strava. I decided to set myself a goal of getting into the top 50% of all Strava times on all the various hills.

I quickly realised that the big hills that everyone rides – Coot-tha, Gravatt etc – would be the hardest ones to achieve that aim. Every decent rider in Brisbane and beyond rides those hills, so it was the biggest challenge.

In early 2017 I started doing the weekly Coot-tha group ride with Lifecycle. My first time with them had me going up in 14:59, so a 5 minute PR compared to a year before that!

The 50% goal time was 12:04, so I had to get 25% faster. (I like numbers, can you tell?)

Slowly but surely my times improved until I did a 12:09 a couple of weeks ago – I was within touching distance.

Last night, I took 9 seconds off that, so mission accomplished! I have literally got 25% faster in about 14 months.

So now I have to think of a new goal. Taking one more second off my time and getting into the elevens is an obvious one, but not a huge stretch. Maybe I should aim to get into the tens by the end of the year - but that may be unobtainable?
Image

jasonc
Posts: 9736
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:12 pm

RobertL wrote:So now I have to think of a new goal.


Go for sub 10. that's 1min per 250m
Image

RobertL
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:31 pm

jasonc wrote:
RobertL wrote:So now I have to think of a new goal.


Go for sub 10. that's 1min per 250m


:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's 2 minutes faster than now!!!
Image

User avatar
ft_critical
Posts: 1957
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:06 pm
Location: watching the 11
Contact:

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby ft_critical » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Well done Robert

adam0bmx0
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Well done Robert! Great progress! Definately aim for a Sub-10!!! :twisted:

RobertL
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 pm

https://www.strava.com/activities/1560754753

19s faster than the old KOM for Coot-tha front!

Seems legit :shock: :? :shock: :?
Image

jasonc
Posts: 9736
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Tue May 15, 2018 1:10 pm

RobertL wrote:https://www.strava.com/activities/1560754753

19s faster than the old KOM for Coot-tha front!

Seems legit :shock: :? :shock: :?

Check the heart rate. More dodgy than the nbn
Image

RobertL
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Tue May 15, 2018 1:16 pm

jasonc wrote:
RobertL wrote:https://www.strava.com/activities/1560754753

19s faster than the old KOM for Coot-tha front!

Seems legit :shock: :? :shock: :?

Check the heart rate. More dodgy than the nbn


I guess I'm wondering whether this is an accident by him, because he left Strava running while in his car? Or he's having fun on an e-bike or similar and has labelled it wrongly? Or is he deliberately trying to claim the KOM by cheating?
Image

adam0bmx0
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:30 pm

RobertL wrote:
jasonc wrote:
RobertL wrote:https://www.strava.com/activities/1560754753

19s faster than the old KOM for Coot-tha front!

Seems legit :shock: :? :shock: :?

Check the heart rate. More dodgy than the nbn


I guess I'm wondering whether this is an accident by him, because he left Strava running while in his car? Or he's having fun on an e-bike or similar and has labelled it wrongly? Or is he deliberately trying to claim the KOM by cheating?


I'd say eBike, to do that time power data would be much higher, as well as heart rate as pointed out. Just flag it.

jasonc
Posts: 9736
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm

+1 to flag
Image

RobertL
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:
RobertL wrote:
jasonc wrote:Check the heart rate. More dodgy than the nbn


I guess I'm wondering whether this is an accident by him, because he left Strava running while in his car? Or he's having fun on an e-bike or similar and has labelled it wrongly? Or is he deliberately trying to claim the KOM by cheating?


I'd say eBike, to do that time power data would be much higher, as well as heart rate as pointed out. Just flag it.



Flagged!
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users