Mt Coot-tha training

jasonc

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:48 am

Inwood wrote:
Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:got my coot-tha challenge number in the post today - 5042 I think.
When did you enter? :)

I heard some sordid rumour about them only having so many timing chips. :o I entered on the weekend.
I got mine too, I entered a few days after it opened and I got a timing rfid chip. This will be my first ever ride like this so its kind of exciting and scary at the same time.

I've heard 5000 timing chips. Less people do the coot-tha challenge that the b2gc, so you should be fine and dandy. Still no idea of the start location or where in the course the climb is. Frustrating.

Inwood - you'll have some idiot with you that has done 1 event before, you'll be fine.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am

Out the door by 5:30am today ..... Did a climb of mount gravatt first and did a PB at 7:09 then rolled back to the city and off to Coot-tha for a crack at it ..... 2 weeks since the last climb and managed to do a 10:53 (Not a PB but still happy with that considering I had a good push up gravatt and already had 50ks in the legs by then and still sore from the week-end's race .... back again next week for the same loop I think :D

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:32 am

I believe that the Red group are starting at 5:45am, and then staggered starts for the other groups. Last year we took off from Grey st (Southbank), up the vulture street end.

Hope that helps. I wish they would post the course map already.
Merida Scultura Evo 909 Full Dura Ace (Weekender) & Merida HFS 904 Com Full Ultegra (Trainer)

When you feel yourself struggling up a hill, just get over it!

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:47 am

This might be of interest and help in planning your backside climbs.
It's the data plot of a rider who consistently does sub 7 minutes.

Some of you might benefit from upping speed and power where he does.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 pm

If anyone is looking for a spare entry I have one at the $70 team entry discounted price ! There is a road Rae at mount cotton on that day that I would rather do. Let me know by Saturday 5pm if you want it and I'll put it aside and make arrangements for the deliver of tag, etc ....l cheers

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:01 pm

comedian - I now have a Garmin Edge 500. Do I just hit the lap button at the bottom and top. will that give me a separate graph (specifically for cadence)?
the garmin connect website seems quite limiting considering the amount of data collected

I just want to be able to block a section and select "average"

any ideas?

EDIT: I gather everyone has seen the course has been released? If not, will post a link tomorrow.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:35 pm

jasonc wrote:comedian - I now have a Garmin Edge 500. Do I just hit the lap button at the bottom and top. will that give me a separate graph (specifically for cadence)?
the garmin connect website seems quite limiting considering the amount of data collected

I just want to be able to block a section and select "average"

any ideas?

EDIT: I gather everyone has seen the course has been released? If not, will post a link tomorrow.
You need to turn on auto lap by position. Then, you just press the lap key as you go over the line and up the top. After that it will remember it for any subsequent passes on that ride. I haven't managed to work out how to get it to remember it for the next startup. :)

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Just load up your garmin data on strava when you get home .... The start and finish point are already loaded in there and saves pressing the garmin, otherwise load the free strava app on your phone and start when yu start riding and then check when you stop at the top or at the end of the ride as the segments will show in there straight away with your time :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 pm

I'll use the term "training" in quotes when it comes to my abilities! What I'm wondering is what is the best approach for the next ~10 days till the ride to give me the best chance of surviving it? How many days rest/recovery do I have beforehand? When is the closest time to the 18th that is best for a really hard day? Are you meant to go for a quick spin the day before? And so on...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:16 am

Le Velo wrote:Just load up your garmin data on strava when you get home .... The start and finish point are already loaded in there and saves pressing the garmin, otherwise load the free strava app on your phone and start when yu start riding and then check when you stop at the top or at the end of the ride as the segments will show in there straight away with your time :D
will look at stava.

loading it on my phone isn't an option as I use endomondo already (and I doubt they make a symbian version anyway)

Comedian

Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am

jasonc wrote:
Le Velo wrote:Just load up your garmin data on strava when you get home .... The start and finish point are already loaded in there and saves pressing the garmin, otherwise load the free strava app on your phone and start when yu start riding and then check when you stop at the top or at the end of the ride as the segments will show in there straight away with your time :D
will look at stava.

loading it on my phone isn't an option as I use endomondo already (and I doubt they make a symbian version anyway)
strava is great but the cool thing about pressing lap on the garmin is you have an instant readout as you go. I know that a lap average of 12.5k is less than 11 minutes and 14.1 is sub ten. I use that and speed to keep up to date with how I'm going easily.

Good run for me this morning. Not particularly fast (10:20) but I finished well which I've been working on. Still had some in the tank afterwards too. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Comedian wrote:strava is great but the cool thing about pressing lap on the garmin is you have an instant readout as you go. I know that a lap average of 12.5k is less than 11 minutes and 14.1 is sub ten. I use that and speed to keep up to date with how I'm going easily.

Good run for me this morning. Not particularly fast (10:20) but I finished well which I've been working on. Still had some in the tank afterwards too. :)
so even though I've turned off auto-lap function, at the bottom I hit lap and at the top I hit lap and it will create the lap.

Comedian - when you get a sec, can you respond to Inwood's post about rides in the leadup.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Nice lap comedian, good work and you are right the average speeds you mentionned seems spot on with the timing ..... When I do a 10 min pass I usually sit around 15kph give and take some flactuation pending on which pinch :D
Planning to be out there tomorrow and do my Mount Gravatt and Coot-tha loop again in the morning ..... Aiming for a sub 10 for the challenge :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Le Velo wrote: Aiming for a sub 10 for the challenge :D
for the challenge the timed section is 2.4km. our current "timed" section is 2.29km.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 pm

jasonc wrote:
Le Velo wrote: Aiming for a sub 10 for the challenge :D
for the challenge the timed section is 2.4km. our current "timed" section is 2.29km.
Still can be done .... If I do it anyway, still trying to offload my entry so I can race at Mount Cotton that day ..... Anyone ? Any takers? I will delivery it personaly and attach the bibs to your bike myself if I have to ! 8)

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Le Velo wrote: give and take some flactuation
Given I'm guaranteed to be somewhere [way] behind you, can you keep the flactuation to yourself? :mrgreen:

Comedian

Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Inwood wrote:I'll use the term "training" in quotes when it comes to my abilities! What I'm wondering is what is the best approach for the next ~10 days till the ride to give me the best chance of surviving it? How many days rest/recovery do I have beforehand? When is the closest time to the 18th that is best for a really hard day? Are you meant to go for a quick spin the day before? And so on...
Well I'm no expert but I coothad today, will do a long medium run tomorrow, cootha and a riverloop saturday, rest Sunday. Will just cruise to work Monday, gentle cootha Tuesday, gentle ride to work Wednesday, gentle riverloop Thursday. I might catch the bus for the fist time this year Friday... Depending on how I feel.

That might not look like a taper but that is for me. The key is low intensity. No smashing oneself. :)

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Inwood wrote:
Given I'm guaranteed to be somewhere [way] behind you, can you keep the flactuation to yourself? :mrgreen:
Flactuation in gradiant not flatulence but the later might help to propel up the hill ! Better get on the pinto beans diet this week then ..... that should give me the unfair advantage in addition to the spanish beef :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Oh, fluctuation :mrgreen:

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Inwood wrote:Oh, fluctuation :mrgreen:
Excuse my french ....

Comedian

Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Cyclists will do anything to save a few grams... Even fluctuation :mrgreen:

Someone had a go at me today for having two full water bottles and big heavy tool bag. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Comedian wrote:Someone had a go at me today for having two full water bottles and big heavy tool bag. :)
oh - so you're getting in the weight training too. Inwood and I are discussing weight-weenie techniques

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Le Velo wrote:
Inwood wrote:
Flactuation in gradiant not flatulence but the later might help to propel up the hill ! Better get on the pinto beans diet this week then ..... that should give me the unfair advantage in addition to the spanish beef :D
At least that should keep people from sucking your wheel. :lol:

Looks like the weather forecast for the 18th is for fine conditions. Lets hope that it is not a repeat of last year where it rained through the entire course.

Cheers.
Merida Scultura Evo 909 Full Dura Ace (Weekender) & Merida HFS 904 Com Full Ultegra (Trainer)

When you feel yourself struggling up a hill, just get over it!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:42 am

OK. so I've been up and down this morning. Had the garmin 500 going with HRM and speed/cadence sensor.

Comedian - I think you wanted average cadence: strava says 75.88 BUT it records the distance as different from the road.
I used the split function of the garmin. Garmin Connect for the split says 76.

Am happy with my times today because I commuted tues to fri (was interstate mon)

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:05 pm

hum, spun up the back in 10:13 this morning which I'm pretty pleased with, as it didn't feel like I was pushing all that hard, and my best is 9:36 (which just about killed me). Kinda surprised as I've had patchy sleep this week and it's the first time I've been up there in a month. Oh well, gives me hope that an 8:XX is achievable.