Mt Coot-tha training

Comedian

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 pm

RobertL wrote:There were a few of Queensland's "finest" armed with radar guns on the front descent last evening. I point this out because there had apparently been debate in our group* about whether the cops ever set up here after dark.

They do! And they were busy booking cars and motorbikes when we went past.

* I'm a newbie - this is the 3rd Coot-tha ride that I've done with them.
I'm literally shocked.

I think though that the "operations" in the mornings are primarily aimed at push bike riders. I reckon the ones in the evening are aimed at other road user groups. I'm saying that simply because in the evening there is more motor traffic than pushbike, unlike the mornings.

Interestingly - they operate those speed traps in contravention of their guidelines that say they are not to operate on a steep downhill unless there is a demonstrable accident history at the site. There certainly is nothing in the accident database for pushbikes on the front, which ironically makes it one of the safest locations for riding.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Comedian wrote:Interestingly - they operate those speed traps in contravention of their guidelines that say they are not to operate on a steep downhill unless there is a demonstrable accident history at the site. There certainly is nothing in the accident database for pushbikes on the front, which ironically makes it one of the safest locations for riding.
Yeah - I feel pretty safe on that road. It's wide and smooth. It has a wide painted bike lane for part of it. It has vehicles that must (surely?) be used to seeing bicycles. And I'm generally going as fast as they are.

I don't know about the accident database, but one of our guys crashed a couple of weeks ago. It was my first ride with them, and he flatted his front tyre going round downhill just past Channel 9. He had no major injuries, so we thought that he was OK at first, but he had hit his head and cracked his helmet. Then we all realised that he was a bit dazed and confuses so we called an ambulance. They took him to RBH and released him later that night.

Does that sort of incident make the accident database?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:05 pm

RobertL wrote:
Comedian wrote:Interestingly - they operate those speed traps in contravention of their guidelines that say they are not to operate on a steep downhill unless there is a demonstrable accident history at the site. There certainly is nothing in the accident database for pushbikes on the front, which ironically makes it one of the safest locations for riding.
Yeah - I feel pretty safe on that road. It's wide and smooth. It has a wide painted bike lane for part of it. It has vehicles that must (surely?) be used to seeing bicycles. And I'm generally going as fast as they are.

I don't know about the accident database, but one of our guys crashed a couple of weeks ago. It was my first ride with them, and he flatted his front tyre going round downhill just past Channel 9. He had no major injuries, so we thought that he was OK at first, but he had hit his head and cracked his helmet. Then we all realised that he was a bit dazed and confuses so we called an ambulance. They took him to RBH and released him later that night.

Does that sort of incident make the accident database?
Good question. I suspect if the police weren't involved then probably not. But I'll ask...

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Good to know, I've done the LIfecycle Tue night rides a lot in the past and this is the 1st time ive heard them being there at night!

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Yeeeew, new PR up Cootha back for me, 7:39 for the Santos segment. Happy with that. :mrgreen: Had my commuting backpack on and various bits in it too!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:41 pm

wrong segment adam. well done
7:44 for the real segment is flying.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:14 am

jasonc wrote:wrong segment adam. well done
7:44 for the real segment is flying.
Yes, Bravo! :mrgreen:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Ok - quick question, because I am confused about the various Coot-tha Back Strava segments. Do you all use:

https://www.strava.com/segments/9639435

or

https://www.strava.com/segments/615163 ?

Because I have been using the first of those two, and I now realise that it is a bit shorter, and so I am worried that I might be even slower than I thought compared to everyone else on this board. What's worse, I've got a couple of other guys using that first segment, so I may have to tell them too.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm

it's this one (so the latter)
https://www.strava.com/segments/615163

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 pm

jasonc wrote:it's this one (so the latter)
https://www.strava.com/segments/615163
Bugger. I'm 45 seconds slower than I thought!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:32 pm

did my 600th climb of the back of coot-tha for all time this morning

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:29 pm

jasonc wrote:did my 600th climb of the back of coot-tha for all time this morning
impressive

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:58 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
jasonc wrote:did my 600th climb of the back of coot-tha for all time this morning
impressively boring*
*Fixed it for you Jason :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
impressively boring*
*Fixed it for you Jason :P
A categorised climb 15kms from home that's on the way to work is hard to ignore

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Set a new Cootha back PR last night after work, on the Santos segment set a time of 6min 58seconds. :D 8)

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:44 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:Set a new Cootha back PR last night after work, on the Santos segment set a time of 6min 58seconds. :D 8)
Congrats. I was up there a bit later with the Lifecycle crew. I didn't go near a PR, but I did see a kangaroo across the top. That was a first!

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:48 pm

RobertL wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:Set a new Cootha back PR last night after work, on the Santos segment set a time of 6min 58seconds. :D 8)
Congrats. I was up there a bit later with the Lifecycle crew. I didn't go near a PR, but I did see a kangaroo across the top. That was a first!
Nice!

How many were out on the LC cootha ride out of interest? I used to do the Tue evening ride but stopped now probably about a year and a half ago. Think we had anything from 6 people up to 12-16 or so.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:18 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:
RobertL wrote:
Nice!

How many were out on the LC cootha ride out of interest? I used to do the Tue evening ride but stopped now probably about a year and a half ago. Think we had anything from 6 people up to 12-16 or so.
Last night there were 12, which is the biggest I've seen for that ride. Last week there was 4 or 5, so it varies a bit.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am

Adam - wrong segment- do it again. :D
Nice work

Edit: I finished 2017 on 146 coottha backs for the year

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 pm

jasonc wrote:I finished 2017 on 146 coottha backs for the year
57 for me.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:49 am

Thought I'd mention that I saw a police van on Tuesday night near the top of Mt C. It was obviously targeting motor vehicles because it was on a flattish section near Channels 9 & 7. I was doing about 35km/h when I went past and it is a 50 zone, so I can't imagine many cyclists speeding along that bit of road.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 pm

I wish to make a complaint!!

Rode up Coot-tha back last night. I checked Strava when I got home and it was a pretty good time - 8s slower than my PR. All's well with the world.

Then I check my time on the Santos segment, and it said that I did a 7s PR.

Given that the segments are very similar, how can there be a 15s difference? I rode the same way as normal, in from Simpson's Rd, straight up and over the top with no stops or slow bits.

What's going on?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:47 pm

RobertL wrote:What's going on?
stop looking at the santos segment

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I saw police on the bottom of the front descent last night (around 6pm), came around the long sweeping corner doing 65km/h, had to scrub off speed pretty sharpish, luckily they didn't flag me down at the T-junction stop sign.

I also got a Cootha front x 3 PR, with 27.03 which put me at 8th fastest of all time for that segment. :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:I saw police on the bottom of the front descent last night (around 6pm), came around the long sweeping corner doing 65km/h, had to scrub off speed pretty sharpish, luckily they didn't flag me down at the T-junction stop sign.

I also got a Cootha front x 3 PR, with 27.03 which put me at 8th fastest of all time for that segment. :D
I saw them driving and parking near the T intersection a bit after 6ish last night, wondered what they were doing!

Nice time!