Mt Coot-tha training

lethoso

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby lethoso » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:37 pm

winstonw wrote:So I am deprioritizing Coot-tha for the next 6 weeks and focusing on losing 7-8kg
Maybe you should try following the advice given by the graffiti on the way up, and go vegan :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:44 am

lethoso wrote:
winstonw wrote:So I am deprioritizing Coot-tha for the next 6 weeks and focusing on losing 7-8kg
Maybe you should try following the advice given by the graffiti on the way up, and go vegan :D
Good point!

GOT FAT - GO VEGAN! :mrgreen:

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:59 am

^^^ Yeah. That's an astute bit of add positioning isn't it.
judged, insulted, gone

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:36 pm

lethoso wrote:
Well i am partial to a vego diet. Was a strict ovolactoveg from 19 to 25, and now limit weekly animal flesh intake to <300g a week. I have some very yum tofu stir fries these days.

I lost 20kg in 20 weeks up to Easter this year but then the cooler weather saw me put back on 5 - starch, sugar, wine++.
Anyway, as the days are warming, the cravings are settling, and my BMI is on track to be sub 23 before B2GC.
The 380km I've ridden in the last 4 days should help too.

Some pics for those less familiar with the TT course.

The start - just past the left hand turn into the picnic area.

The finish - on the crest just past ABC tv's complex on the left.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Anyone know why there are two 250m markers about 50m apart? :shock:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Comedian, just to clarify, the two guys were heavily EXPIRING?! Man they must have been pushing hard LOL.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:17 am

ldrcycles wrote:Comedian, just to clarify, the two guys were heavily EXPIRING?! Man they must have been pushing hard LOL.
I quite often feel like I'm expiring up coot-tha. Haven't managed to collapse yet though. Have puked more than a few times :|

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:40 am

ldrcycles wrote:Comedian, just to clarify, the two guys were heavily EXPIRING?! Man they must have been pushing hard LOL.
I'm pretty sure this means creating hard...??
lethoso wrote: I quite often feel like I'm expiring up coot-tha. Haven't managed to collapse yet though. Have puked more than a few times :|
Oh jeesus... I mustn't be going hard enough then. No barfing from me :shock:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:59 am

Comedian wrote:Anyone know why there are two 250m markers about 50m apart? :shock:
All sorts have put marks on the road in the past - running and cycling clubs - presume they have different start points. I think the ascent actually starts east of Simpsons Road, though doesn't steepen for 50 odd metres. There used to be a lot more painted markers several years ago, but presume have disappeared due to resurfacing, weather, or manual removal. Maybe it's time for some new graffiti

King Cadel
shut up heart
barfing? go paleo
fat telewnkr? ride to work

I am not 100% sure the yellow marks in the pics are the same as used by Coot-tha TT organizers, but they look close enough from memory. A few weeks ago pre 6.15am, a cycling group had small witches' hats out, probably to mark sprint interval way points.

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 am

Last time I climbed it was at the Mt Cootha challenge 6 months ago and I weighed in at 84kg's. Did it in 12:24. Now six months on I weigh 76kg (lost a lot of fat around the gut) and pushed up my weekly riding to between 200-250km's a week with commutes to work.
Not game to have another go as I don't want to disappoint myself with a lousy time even with all the loss of weight and hard work as I am not that young, rapidly closing in on 50 :)
I despise hills although I don't mind the lumps around River Loop and commuting south over Gaza Rd/Mt Gravatt climb.

cheers

Dave

Queestce

Postby Queestce » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:41 pm

I tackled Cootha for the first time this morning. I used to live in Bardon and ride my downhill bike up it to do runs a few years ago, but since getting the OCR and starting to ride again a couple of months ago I had been kind of avoiding it. Anyway I've been doing a regular ride from here in New Farm out around Gapcreek via Brookfield and back into town, today I tacked Cootha onto the end of that. It was brilliant, what a great road to ride on! I came from the Ch10 side, no idea how long the climb took, but it was a lot less difficult than I thought it was going to be. I would have thought the climb in Gap Creek was almost as long had I not seen the elevation data afterwards. I'm going to try and incorporate Cootha into my weekday morning ride now. After successfully getting around it without too much drama I'm keen to have a go at Nebo/Glorious next :P

Tk

moetanac

Postby moetanac » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi all, I ride cootha on a regualr basis as prep training for the alpine classic in victoria come Jan, whilst the distance is much shorter does anyone know the gradient of the first part of cootha up to the fork and then the back climb ?

Also how do these compare to Tawonga, Falls Ck or Dingo in the Alpine ?

has anyone done o'reilly's, thats our next step up ?

Yongkun

Postby Yongkun » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:31 am

moetanac wrote:Hi all, I ride cootha on a regualr basis as prep training for the alpine classic in victoria come Jan, whilst the distance is much shorter does anyone know the gradient of the first part of cootha up to the fork and then the back climb ?

Also how do these compare to Tawonga, Falls Ck or Dingo in the Alpine ?

has anyone done o'reilly's, thats our next step up ?
Just slide along the gradient plot and find the gradient of each individual section.
Coot-tha back: http://app.strava.com/rides/1953520#32051893
The botanic garden up to the junction: http://app.strava.com/rides/1953520#32051896

notwal

Postby notwal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 pm

I tried Mt O'Reilly Rd/Mayfield Rd if that's what you mean, a couple of months ago. It was after a ride up to Mt Glorious with standard road gearing (42/25). I only managed half way about - up to the bend in the road. It's very steep.
I will have another go soon still with standard gearing but rested.
judged, insulted, gone

Yongkun

Postby Yongkun » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:35 pm

or the one beside Springbrook

42t is big.. :o

notwal

Postby notwal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Yongkun wrote:or the one beside Springbrook

42t is big.. :o
Oops! 42 was the old one. Its 39. So 39/25 was still too hard for this softy.
judged, insulted, gone

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Was doing laps and this poor lady's death interrupted us. :( Very sad.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-17/w ... sh/3736258

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Comedian wrote:Was doing laps and this poor lady's death interrupted us. :( Very sad.
e: saw the flowers at the roadside this morning. Fairly sharp 150 degree corner, can see how she came unstuck :(
Last edited by lethoso on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Mt Coot-tha training

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:47 am

Street luge? I thought only thrill seeking 20 something are into it. RIP
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:41 am

lethoso wrote:
Comedian wrote:Was doing laps and this poor lady's death interrupted us. :( Very sad.
e: saw the flowers at the roadside this morning. Fairly sharp 150 degree corner, can see how she came unstuck :(
Just past the second little bike lane section (going down). There is always lots of gravel around there.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Been pretty much staying away from Coot-tha for a few months, and focusing more on interval and sprint training.
Bodyweight hasn't budged much in that time.
Surprised to do 2 Coot-tha PBs over the last 2 days. From 13.15 to 12.15 to 11.45
Sub 11 now looks do-able
And maybe even sub 10 if I get my body fat from 20 to 10%.

These PBs both came after riding 30km to Coot-tha so maybe a proper warm up is more important than I'd realized.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Since a teen, my way of celebrating the new year has been not to stay up late, but to wake up early and greet the new year's day sunrise with some form of exercise - surfing, running, cycling. It was a beautiful sunrise this morning and I made my way 30k to Coot-tha and did 11m55s, without getting too serious. I've been doing 80+ km per day for around 10 days, and am now going to have 3 days off the bike. I've got an exercise and diet plan for the next 4 weeks that should help me get a sub 11m30s ascent.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:14 pm

if anyone's bored next saturday, I had someone on strava randomly invite me to this - http://app.strava.com/events/198/news

No other plans so I figure I'll go along & use the opportunity to try set a new PR up the front - hopefully there'll be some fast rabbits to chase, should help me push my limits.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 am

lethoso wrote:if anyone's bored next saturday, I had someone on strava randomly invite me to this - http://app.strava.com/events/198/news

No other plans so I figure I'll go along & use the opportunity to try set a new PR up the front - hopefully there'll be some fast rabbits to chase, should help me push my limits.
Hmmm... I got the invite too. Unfortunately I have stuff to do or I'd be there. :)

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:10 pm

lethoso wrote:if anyone's bored next saturday, I had someone on strava randomly invite me to this - http://app.strava.com/events/198/news

Lethoso there will be plenty of fast rabbits don't worry about that. The event is organized by the GC climbers and those guys can climb ...... I am too shy to give it a go as my best time was 11min at the coot-tha challenge and have not done much climbing of late :oops: