Mt Coot-tha training

The foundations for successful riding

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby PawPaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Comedian wrote:Managed a 11:38 on the anthem 29er in the rain this morning without working up a sweat. Pretty happy with that. Woob Woob Woob. :mrgreen:

Wow....imagine how fast you'd have gone with an ultralight deep dish wheelset on your 29er!!! :P
PawPaw

by BNA » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:35 am

BNA

Postby BrisVegas » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:35 am

Woot! Managed the back side this morning for the first time! 8) I tried a few weeks back and had to stop several times and walk a bit. But this morning I just plugged away in 39-25 gear and got there slowly. Had a brief pause about half way to wait for one of my riding buddies, but didn't need it. I forgot to put turn strava on, but it would have been very slow, but hey I made it.

We rode across the top and down the front, then turned around and rode back up the front and across the top again. :shock: The front is definitely easier, but you guys knew that already. Was a pretty cool view from the lookout this morning with the fog covering the city. Next time I'll use strava and see just how slow I am! :lol:
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas

Postby marinmomma » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:59 pm

BrisVegas wrote:Woot! Managed the back side this morning for the first time! 8) I tried a few weeks back and had to stop several times and walk a bit. But this morning I just plugged away in 39-25 gear and got there slowly. Had a brief pause about half way to wait for one of my riding buddies, but didn't need it. I forgot to put turn strava on, but it would have been very slow, but hey I made it.

We rode across the top and down the front, then turned around and rode back up the front and across the top again. :shock: The front is definitely easier, but you guys knew that already. Was a pretty cool view from the lookout this morning with the fog covering the city. Next time I'll use strava and see just how slow I am! :lol:

Congratulations BV, the first time is the worst but it's the best sense of acheivement though...the view is worth it too...
Nothing wrong with slow either...it's the only way I know :wink:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby BrisVegas » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:37 pm

marinmomma wrote:
BrisVegas wrote:Woot! Managed the back side this morning for the first time! 8) I tried a few weeks back and had to stop several times and walk a bit. But this morning I just plugged away in 39-25 gear and got there slowly. Had a brief pause about half way to wait for one of my riding buddies, but didn't need it. I forgot to put turn strava on, but it would have been very slow, but hey I made it.

Congratulations BV, the first time is the worst but it's the best sense of acheivement though...the view is worth it too...

cheers MM. So relieved to make it. I was pretty gutted when I failed at my first attempt, so I needed to get back up there and beat the hill. Couple of milestones this month I guess. First 100km ride. First stack in 20 years. First time up Cootha. What's next ? :lol:
BrisVegas

Postby Comedian » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:44 pm

BrisVegas wrote:
marinmomma wrote:

cheers MM. So relieved to make it. I was pretty gutted when I failed at my first attempt, so I needed to get back up there and beat the hill. Couple of milestones this month I guess. First 100km ride. First stack in 20 years. First time up Cootha. What's next ? :lol:

Well done!

It's all downhill from here! :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby marinmomma » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:38 pm

BrisVegas wrote:cheers MM. So relieved to make it. I was pretty gutted when I failed at my first attempt, so I needed to get back up there and beat the hill. Couple of milestones this month I guess. First 100km ride. First stack in 20 years. First time up Cootha. What's next ? :lol:

What's next?? To go back again to get faster...or there's always Springbrook, Nebo or Binna Burra to conquer :wink:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:20 am

BrisVegas wrote:cheers MM. So relieved to make it. I was pretty gutted when I failed at my first attempt, so I needed to get back up there and beat the hill. Couple of milestones this month I guess. First 100km ride. First stack in 20 years. First time up Cootha. What's next ? :lol:

As Comedian would attest to - Coot-tha is all psychological, once you have the fitness to do it.

Well done. keep it up
jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 01, 2012 1:37 pm

went up yesterday morning in perfect conditions. have not done it for 3 weeks it hurt, a lot. time was terrible, but i made it and felt better for it. have to keep doing it. even though the bike is heavier in commuting guise.
jasonc

Postby RobM » Mon May 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Did a ride up MC on the weekend - beautiful weather. Havent been riding much so my time was woeful but I will get the fitness back soon.

I did have to swallow my pride as a dainty lady on a pink pinarello smashed past me and was probably on the way to posting a 7min climb time. :cry:

Oh well - i wouldve taken my helmet off to her if i wasnt feeling like I was about to have a cardiac arrest. She said hello as she went past so that was nice :D
RobM

Postby jasonc » Mon May 14, 2012 1:29 pm

punk_rob wrote:She said hello as she went past so that was nice :D

anyone who can talk going up coot-tha is going hard enough

nice work on giving it another go rob
jasonc

Postby Le Velo » Mon May 14, 2012 2:11 pm

2 Laps of Coot-tha yesterday with 1st pass at 11:35 and 2nd pass at 10:09 .... not a PB but still happy with that.
Going back tomorrow morning with a friend as we challenged each other to crack a sub 9 in the upcoming 4 weeks ..... so the training keeps on going :mrgreen:
Le Velo

Postby PawPaw » Mon May 14, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm looking forward to my next attempt at Coot-tha.
I'll have taken half a kg of the wheelset; and 10 water bottles off the body.
Best time to date is 11m45s. Doubt I'll ever do sub 11, but who knows if I cut weight 12% or 10kg, all up. Theoretically, I'll have 36 watts available to go faster, which suggests I could do 10m45s for the same power output.
Last edited by PawPaw on Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PawPaw

Postby jasonc » Mon May 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Le Velo wrote:2 Laps of Coot-tha yesterday with 1st pass at 11:35 and 2nd pass at 10:09 .... not a PB but still happy with that.
Going back tomorrow morning with a friend as we challenged each other to crack a sub 9 in the upcoming 4 weeks ..... so the training keeps on going :mrgreen:

:shock:
jasonc

Postby Le Velo » Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 pm

jasonc wrote:
Le Velo wrote:2 Laps of Coot-tha yesterday with 1st pass at 11:35 and 2nd pass at 10:09 .... not a PB but still happy with that.

:?:
Le Velo

Postby jasonc » Mon May 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Le Velo wrote:
jasonc wrote:

you're going to go from doing a 10 time to a sub 9? can I give you my timing tag for next years coot-tha challenge?
jasonc

Postby InTheWoods » Mon May 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Le Velo wrote:
jasonc wrote:

I think he means going from a 10:09 to a 8:xx (sub 9) is a pretty big leap to make in 4 weeks! Or do you mean a sub 10?
InTheWoods

Postby Le Velo » Mon May 14, 2012 4:36 pm

[/quote]

I think he means going from a 10:09 to a 8:xx (sub 9) is a pretty big leap to make in 4 weeks! Or do you mean a sub 10?[/quote]

Ok I see what your were trying to get to. 10:09 wasnt my PB as I have done sub 10 being 9:47 as PB
I am aiming for a 9 or sub yes
I got to work on shaving off 10sec a week which I think could be done with the right training, diet and rest / recovery

I am starting an intensive 5 week program to be ready for the Avanti classic at the end of June, admittedly if I don't crack a 9 or sub by then it will only benefit coming race time no doubt :D
Le Velo

Postby jasonc » Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 am

went up this morning and did the first half not in my lowest gear. felt good/quick. got to the top and was disappointed. happy i could stay in a higher gear for that long anyway.
jasonc

Postby Le Velo » Tue May 15, 2012 9:22 am

Went out this morning again for a couple of laps .... the 2 other guys that were suppose to come along bailed out .... "Too cold excuse ....pppffff"
11:16 first pass and 11:21 on the 2nd lap.
Training today was sit down only and grinding on the 21
Le Velo

Postby jasonc » Wed May 16, 2012 9:53 am

lasted 1.5kms this morning in the higher gear - did a quicker time that yesterday too (but as it's on my commuter wheels with a backpack, not worth talking about too much)
jasonc

Postby liquor box » Wed May 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Had my first crack at it this morning, I rode in from Richlands (Julie st bike track entrance) which is 20km to the roundabout at Toowong. I thought this would be a nice warm up but stupidly I ended up racing a guy from the River to Indooroopilly and was pretty buggered by the time I got to the first bit of hill!

I was almost about to quit just getting up the first bit of incline at the planetarium at the bottom and was wondering what the hell I was doing.

I ended up doing 13.38 with an average HR of 174. I was totally wasted by the top, and did not realise how many hill come after the timing section before you roll back down hill.

I basically sat in my easiest gear the whole way up but really struggled as I cant seem to stand up in this gear when I need to increase my cadence, the gear seems too easy and I spin too fast. Maybe I need to knock it back a couple of gears and then stand up? Is practice the only way to fix this issue with spinning out?

All in all it was a great day of firsts for me. I had finally got under 72kg for the first time in about 20+ years and also had my longest ride yet- 52.4km for the day and it was also the first time I had ridden for over 2 hours (2h 13min (AT) 24kmh) which is slower than usual but there was a big hill in the middle!

One thing that made me really happy was I overcame my fear of not being able to get home. I am sometimes worried that if I ride a long way that I wont have the energy to get home and so tend to er on the safe side and just ride the same distance every time. I struggled for power goin back over MT Ommaney on the way home and was in an easier gear for a lot of the last 15km, but felt awesome for the ride.

I think I am now going to try 60km in a ride, which should be easier if I stay on the flatter sections and should take the same amount of time.
liquor box

Postby Comedian » Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Well done LB. Don't forget to eat while out riding! You should be consuming 60g of carbs an hour. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby liquor box » Thu May 17, 2012 12:15 am

Comedian wrote:Well done LB. Don't forget to eat while out riding! You should be consuming 60g of carbs an hour. :)

I dont know how good my eating is! I had a Banana before I started, a muesli bar after about 40 minutes and a pre packaged cake at about 1h 25min
liquor box

Postby Abby » Thu May 17, 2012 9:38 am

liquor box wrote:I basically sat in my easiest gear the whole way up but really struggled as I cant seem to stand up in this gear when I need to increase my cadence, the gear seems too easy and I spin too fast. Maybe I need to knock it back a couple of gears and then stand up? Is practice the only way to fix this issue with spinning out?

Hi liquor box,

I had the same problem when standing to climb. I always now switch down to a harder gear just before I stand up, and the legs handle it much better...

As for eating - you don't need any food for anything up to an hour or so. After that, just have 'something' - whether its a muesli bar, cake, banana, whatever. Don't get too worried about what it is, so long as its easy to eat.

Cheers,
Abby
Abby

Postby BrisVegas » Thu May 17, 2012 10:52 am

good stuff liquorbox! That's a good ride in from Richlands and back, yet alone with Cootha in the middle. That first hill at the planetarium is demoralising. I failed up that bit the first couple of times I tried. I only made it up the back side on my second attempt. For me, I go pretty quick up the first 1km or so in 39-25 gear, but as I run out of puff, I don't have the cadence to sit down and use that gear. I have to alternate between standing and sitting for the second half of the climb. Standing up in that gear is ok, but I need something lower to comfortably pedal while sitting down...
BrisVegas

PreviousNext

Return to Training