Page 11 of 35

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm
by vbplease
Le Velo wrote:Training today was sit down only and grinding on the 21

Is that with a compact chainring? either way, impressive! :)

Do you have a plan for which gear you'll be in and where, and where to stand?
I remember reading in this thread the guy doing a time of 6:30 is out of the saddle the whole way.

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 pm
by Le Velo
vbplease wrote:
Le Velo wrote:Training today was sit down only and grinding on the 21

Is that with a compact chainring? either way, impressive! :)

Do you have a plan for which gear you'll be in and where, and where to stand?
I remember reading in this thread the guy doing a time of 6:30 is out of the saddle the whole way.


Vbp that is on the 39 and was sitting down all the way .... trying to built it up till I can get it in lower sprockets but that will take time, will try 19 next but that will hurt no doubt :shock:
Corey (the KOM holder) is a machine ! He is an A grade elite racer and places in the top spot and wins on a regular basis.
I am only master C grade and getting old(Er) and stand no chance to get near that time at all. I'd be happy the day I crack low 9or mid 8s

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:05 am
by jasonc
made it 1.75kms in the second gear (third ride up the mountain for the week). the next 250 is going to be hard! might just do the 1.75 a few times to get used to it.

EDIT: interestingly, my climb has got quicker as the week has gone. :?

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:30 pm
by vbplease
Le Velo wrote:Vbp that is on the 39 and was sitting down all the way .... trying to built it up till I can get it in lower sprockets but that will take time, will try 19 next but that will hurt no doubt :shock:
Corey (the KOM holder) is a machine ! He is an A grade elite racer and places in the top spot and wins on a regular basis.
I am only master C grade and getting old(Er) and stand no chance to get near that time at all. I'd be happy the day I crack low 9or mid 8s

19? ouch! You've inspired me to do some repeats Sunday morning and be lower than 24!!

I've seen Corey's times on Strava for various places.. amazing. Although some times have me scratching my head thinking if they're actually physically possible? e.g. Nerang circuit outside of the velodrome - ave speed 57km/h. Really? :shock:

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:19 am
by jasonc
well yesterday was a slog-fest. didn't even make it to 1.75kms up in the 25. Today on the other hand I made it all the way up in the 25. Now I just have to keep it up

EDIT: turns out my cassette has a 24 not a 25. yay for me.

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:35 am
by BrisVegas
jasonc wrote:well yesterday was a slog-fest. didn't even make it to 1.75kms up in the 25. Today on the other hand I made it all the way up in the 25. Now I just have to keep it up

EDIT: turns out my cassette has a 24 not a 25. yay for me.


I know it's been mentioned in this thread already, but it's so true about 39-25 not being low enough gearing unless you're a bolter. I trundled up again on Sunday morning with some friends and I was pedalling about half as fast (and standing up a lot) compared to the woman I was riding with who had compact gears.

I'm not sure I want to give up the std crankset though. I like the 39 ring for general riding, river loops etc. I suspect if I had a 34 it would only get used on cootha or similar.

Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am
by Comedian
Yep... This morning I was on a 39-28 and thought that was just perfect. :)

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:08 pm
by RobM
I have SRAM Red compact cranks with an 11-25 cassette...for me it works very well. Low enough to climb Cootha seated, but high enough (50t-11t) to push faster on the downhills. On 'flat' roads, i usually go big ring and something middle range up the back.

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:15 pm
by jasonc
punk_rob wrote:I have SRAM Red compact cranks with an 11-25 cassette...for me it works very well. Low enough to climb Cootha seated, but high enough (50t-11t) to push faster on the downhills. On 'flat' roads, i usually go big ring and something middle range up the back.

i wish i had an 11 tooth cog...

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am
by RobM
Have a look on ebay - you can pick up an 11-25 cassette pretty cheaply. And sell your old one and recover the costs. Altho, to be honest the 11t doesnt get used all that much for me. Its handy for on the rollers/trainer however.

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:53 am
by jasonc
punk_rob wrote:Have a look on ebay - you can pick up an 11-25 cassette pretty cheaply. And sell your old one and recover the costs. Altho, to be honest the 11t doesnt get used all that much for me. Its handy for on the rollers/trainer however.


I need it for this:

http://app.strava.com/rides/9045249

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:01 pm
by Le Velo
No ride this morning as anticipated as I had a late finish last night with work so skipped lunch today and did 4 repeats at the back instead.
Took the training bike which has compact to make it easier 8)
Managed to get up 3/4 on the 34x19 but had to cheat and use the 21 till the top
By the 4th repeats the legs were burning a bit and cadence was dropping as low as 37 but was holding it around 45 at most times and stayed on the 21 all the way
Still managed a 11:35 on one of the laps .... last lap was 13:07 and the legs felt it .... by the time I got down on the 4th repeats the legs were twitching and shaking .... :roll:

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:04 pm
by jasonc
Le Velo wrote:No ride this morning as anticipated as I had a late finish last night with work so skipped lunch today and did 4 repeats at the back instead.
Took the training bike which has compact to make it easier 8)
Managed to get up 3/4 on the 34x19 but had to cheat and use the 21 till the top
By the 4th repeats the legs were burning a bit and cadence was dropping as low as 37 but was holding it around 45 at most times and stayed on the 21 all the way
Still managed a 11:35 on one of the laps .... last lap was 13:07 and the legs felt it .... by the time I got down on the 4th repeats the legs were twitching and shaking .... :roll:


don't feel so bad then with an 11:40 with my heavy wheels and a backpack

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:14 pm
by jasonc
punk_rob wrote:Have a look on ebay - you can pick up an 11-25 cassette pretty cheaply. And sell your old one and recover the costs. Altho, to be honest the 11t doesnt get used all that much for me. Its handy for on the rollers/trainer however.

btw - prices on ebay for the cassettes are more expensive that new from ribble cycles

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:46 pm
by vbplease
jasonc wrote:I need it for this:

http://app.strava.com/rides/9045249

83.4km/h is too slow?? :shock: :shock:

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:01 pm
by Le Velo
vbplease wrote:
jasonc wrote:I need it for this:

http://app.strava.com/rides/9045249

83.4km/h is too slow?? :shock: :shock:


:?: I think you are doing fine with your 12. You'll rarely use the 11.
It's not in the gearing but all in the cadence ! Just spin a bit more ..... Great top speed btw

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:05 pm
by jasonc
Le Velo wrote:
vbplease wrote:
jasonc wrote:I need it for this:

http://app.strava.com/rides/9045249

83.4km/h is too slow?? :shock: :shock:


:?: I think you are doing fine with your 12. You'll rarely use the 11.
It's not in the gearing but all in the cadence ! Just spin a bit more ..... Great top speed btw

unfortunately that's not me - don't want to go that fast - just fast enough to beat a workmate
and i think the 11 would give me enough

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 am
by jasonc
I made it up in the 24 again this morning though I was assisted by a honeyshotz. Think I haven't totally recovered from nebo/glorious on sunday. Did my quickest time up there while commuting (i.e. backpack/heavy wheels) so I can't be too tired or sore.

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:37 am
by Le Velo
Hump day !
1 lap to the front with a time of 20:15 to Channel 10 then down the back and up the back again with a time of 11:17 ..... :cry:

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:06 am
by jasonc
Le Velo wrote:Hump day !
1 lap to the front with a time of 20:15 to Channel 10 then down the back and up the back again with a time of 11:17 ..... :cry:


strava has me with a time of 11:15. But line to line was 11:33 (and yes, I push all the way to the line)
Then again, I do it with a backpack and my heavy wheels....

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 am
by Le Velo
jasonc wrote:
Le Velo wrote:Hump day !
1 lap to the front with a time of 20:15 to Channel 10 then down the back and up the back again with a time of 11:17 ..... :cry:


strava has me with a time of 11:15. But line to line was 11:33 (and yes, I push all the way to the line)
Then again, I do it with a backpack and my heavy wheels....


How much do you carry to work???? Laptop? clothes? etc ????? Surely it can't be that much is it?

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:52 am
by jasonc
Le Velo wrote:How much do you carry to work???? Laptop? clothes? etc ????? Surely it can't be that much is it?


a couple of tubes, a hydration pack (in the bag), mobile, usb keys, clothes, lunch and whatever else is wandering around in the bottom of my bag.

the wheels/tyres probably make the biggest difference. considering i can pick up the rear wheels and feel the weight difference (pro-lite como with vittoria randonneur 28c vs shimano rs-30 with gatorskin 23c) it makes a difference

EDIT: I won't commute with a laptop - too heavy.

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 am
by Le Velo
jasonc wrote:
Le Velo wrote:How much do you carry to work???? Laptop? clothes? etc ????? Surely it can't be that much is it?


a couple of tubes, a hydration pack (in the bag), mobile, usb keys, clothes, lunch and whatever else is wandering around in the bottom of my bag.

the wheels/tyres probably make the biggest difference. considering i can pick up the rear wheels and feel the weight difference (pro-lite como with vittoria randonneur 28c vs shimano rs-30 with gatorskin 23c) it makes a difference

EDIT: I won't commute with a laptop - too heavy.


Fair enough .... I had about the same minus the bag, lunch and clothes ..... unless the leg warmers, arm warmers and jacket count ..... was a bit overdressed this morning I think .... I was hot already within 20min on the bikepath :shock:
Wheels are similar to the Bontrager I have and found out this morning that the front hub needs replacing after the near death braking down the back and wheel shacking ..... time to dismantle the wheel now and get the hub serviced ..... argh ..... will take the DA next time I'm up

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:37 am
by jasonc
made it up in 34-21 this morning. time wasn't good but I made it

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 am
by jasonc
slower today than yesterday in the 3rd gear. and bloody windy.