Training for the 3 Peaks Challenge

The foundations for successful riding

Postby cf73 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi all,
I want to enter the 3 Peak Challenge but am unsure whether to do it in 2012 or wait until 2013 to get a real solid amount of training in.

I am currently training for a 1000km, 8 day ride and have just completed my first 150+km ride over 8 hours (6 1/2 hours of riding). This ride included 1200m of climbing. So there is obviously a lot more to be done to get to the level of the 3 Peaks distance.

I would imagine that members on here have done it before. Would it be possible to get an idea of the kind of training and level I would need to do/be at before commiting to this ride.

Like I said above, I will be doing it but am not sure if March 2012 give me enough time.

Cheers
Carl
How do you like them ******* apples???
cf73

by BNA » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 pm

BNA

Re: Training for the 3 Peaks Challenge

Postby hannos » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 pm

March 2012 is still over 6 months away. You should be able to manage training for that with ease.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby cf73 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:45 pm

That sounds good then. At least if I decide to go for 2012 there is enough time (probably less time to book the accomodation though...)

What kind of training would be involved for something like this (other than climbing a lot of hills 8) ). Is it a case of just getting out there and building up to 200kms and making sure that consistent hill climbing is involved? I am presuming that a lot of hill repeats would be required.

How much time would be spent actually climbing based on a 10 hour completion time? Does 6 hours sound about right? More?
cf73

Postby randyrob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Hello,

I cycled with a bunch of guys that were training for the 3 Peaks Challange at the start of this year.

The training schedule was as follows

Monday - Recovery Day

Tuesday - 45km River loop. Flat cycle at about 75% intensity.

Wednesday - Repeat circuits over Reabold Hill, about 10-15 circuits. (Reabold Hill is 0.7m and 7% Average Gradient)

Thursday - 45km River loop. Flat cycle at about 75% intensity.

Friday - Rest day

Saturday - Hit the Hills, We slowly ramped up the distance each week, starting around 80km, 120km, 160km.

We were doing between 300 - 370km a week with elevation around 3,500m.

The guys that took the training seriously completed the 3 Peaks.

We had a few easy weeks thrown in the mix and tapered off in the last week before the event like any typical training schedule.

I have just purchased my 3 Peaks Challenge entry for 2012 so will be ramping up my base training around December.

Cheers Rob.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!
randyrob

Postby cf73 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks Rob, interesting regeme.
I think I will aim for the 2013 event. Other commitments are going to impede on my preparation for the 2012.

I will start the main training for it mid years next year and go from there.

Cheers
Carl
cf73

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:58 am

cf73 wrote:I am currently training for a 1000km, 8 day ride and have just completed my first 150+km ride over 8 hours (6 1/2 hours of riding). This ride included 1200m of climbing. So there is obviously a lot more to be done to get to the level of the 3 Peaks distance.

Cheers
Carl

G'day Carl
I respectfully suggest
1. That you are almost fit enough to complete it now.
2. That you consider the Audax Alpine Classic Extreme - more daylight hours, better organised.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.
ausrandoman

Postby HillBilly » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Don't put it off. Sign up.

I think you would be fine to do 3 Peaks assuming you continue with the sort of stuff you seem to be doing now. I think consistency is the key - regular riding with a reasonable amount of intensity thrown in for good measure. 10 hours of riding a week is ample - so long as you don't try to squeeze it all in in the last couple of months.

I did it this year and I'll be doing it again next year.... It was epic and something you won't forget in a hurry! This year I'll make sure I have a 34-25 low gear... Do yourself a favor and go a compact crank or at least change rings and cassette to give yourself the lowest gear you can. You'll be thankful on the final climb up Rasberry Hill (back of Falls). It's a beast.

If you want to check out the profile and ride times over various hills of some of the riders, check out Strava.com.

This link will help and from there you can navigate to some of the segments to see ride times.

http://app.strava.com/rides/346582#5526465

Cheers
HillBilly

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Out of interest how heavy are u?
I was 89kgs, and very fit when I did 3 peaks this year... Finished ok, despite hurting my knee with 40kms to go... Which just happened to be the tough climb up the back of falls... I was doing between 350 & 600kms a week for 4 or 5 months, most of which were in the Adelaide hills, prior to the 2011 ride...

I've decided that no matter how fit I am, that unless I'm 80kgs or under I probably won't saddle up for the 2012 peaks ride... Call me soft, but i rekon it's a tough ask to haul 80kgs plus around 240kms, and 4500m+ of climbing even though I completed it this year... Even harder if the weather is against u, which is highly likely in the Vic alpine region...
Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:23 pm

Just to add, I did it on a 39 x 28...
Only time I struggled was riding up the back of falls one legged... Would've loved a 34 x 28 then! Most should be able to do 39 x 28 up there tho, but if yr nervous about the 30kms of climbing after u have already ridden 200 likes the o a compact for insurance ;-)

Train hard and do it tho! The feeling of accomplishment at the end is massive....
Dr_Mutley

Return to Training