Alpine Classic Training

Daccordi Rider

Alpine Classic Training

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 am

Just signed up for my 3rd go. This years aim is to get under 7 1/2 hrs. Last year I did 8 1/2 on pretty limited preparation and with a cold so it is achievable if I work hard.

My Training plan
Tuesday night- Up Mt Lofty twice, hard as I can go (approx 1200 vertical m in about 1hr 45)
Thursday - Minimum 100km ride in the Hills, try to get 1800+ vertical m and will build distance as we go along
Friday night - Up Mt Lofty, easier effort
Saturday - Group flat ride, spend as much time on front as possible for the 60km, if time before work permits, ride up My Lofty
Sunday - Either racing in the Hills or a good 2 1/2 - 3 hr hills ride, again depends on when I start work

Should give me mimumum 300km and 5000 vertical metres per week. Take advantage of Christmas/New Years to just ride as much as possible.

What does everyone else do?
Certified Brand Snob

Daccordi Rider

Re: Alpine Classic Training

Postby Daccordi Rider » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Mmmm, secretive mob these Alpine riders.......................
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:22 am

5,00 metres climbing is my months average ....

I've gotten close to 300km in a week, twice. 282km & 2,700m climbing in Jan, and 280km & 2.106m climbing.

I bow to you.

I'd love to do something like this, but riding that long is more than a challenge for me, or that much climing, but the two together is probably a bit unrealistic for me.

But that spawns another idea for a thread - Bucket list of Sportives .....

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Well I'm interested in some training tips as I've got relatively limited time to train and I've signed up for the extreme.

Fitz's 250 just smashed me, pulling out at 180km with knee pain.
2010 BMC SLC01

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:13 pm

My wife did the extreme last year, ride time 9 hr 53 which was awesome. Her tip is miles in hills, not sure if that helps! She basically trains as above with a bit more on Tuesday because she knocks off work a bit earlier than me.

Her other tip is gearing, saw lots of people trying to grind up the back of Falls which is damn steep. She runs a compact with a 25 at the back for her bail out gear and that worked well. I'm too chicken to try the extreme, good luck.
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:01 pm

Daccordi just has to be loving this Adealide weather !!!

Just the wind is a bugger

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:Just signed up for my 3rd go. This years aim is to get under 7 1/2 hrs. Last year I did 8 1/2 on pretty limited preparation and with a cold so it is achievable if I work hard.

My Training plan
Tuesday night- Up Mt Lofty twice, hard as I can go (approx 1200 vertical m in about 1hr 45)
Thursday - Minimum 100km ride in the Hills, try to get 1800+ vertical m and will build distance as we go along
Friday night - Up Mt Lofty, easier effort
Saturday - Group flat ride, spend as much time on front as possible for the 60km, if time before work permits, ride up My Lofty
Sunday - Either racing in the Hills or a good 2 1/2 - 3 hr hills ride, again depends on when I start work

Should give me mimumum 300km and 5000 vertical metres per week. Take advantage of Christmas/New Years to just ride as much as possible.

What does everyone else do?

I see there is enough focus on climbing, but I am missing endurance..

I am not riding this year, but from my experience climbing is only one aspect of it, endurance is another.
I think it would be good to add some 200+ km rides into your training program , even if they are flat, they wil benefit you in the end.

Just my 2c.. :wink:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Cheers Hooligan,

You are right, those long distances are a weakness, my bum hurts. :roll:
But this weekend I have Sunday off and will do Amy's ride, with the ride to the event and home will get about 180km.
Will build up my Thursday rides to 150km plus.

And Michael is right the weather is good, headwind up the freeway last night was tough though.
Certified Brand Snob

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:Cheers Hooligan,

You are right, those long distances are a weakness, my bum hurts. :roll:
But this weekend I have Sunday off and will do Amy's ride, with the ride to the event and home will get about 180km.
Will build up my Thursday rides to 150km plus.

And Michael is right the weather is good, headwind up the freeway last night was tough though.
And yet, the distance is a big part of the ride, easily overlooked.. :?

If you are planning to do 180, why not add those measily 20 k's to it , and make it a 200km one ? :D
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Will report in after weekend. Just need to take my HTFU pills. 8)
Certified Brand Snob

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Just had a look at the website. I really want to do this but will be overseas for work :(

Theres Fitz and the Apline Classic - any others in a similiar vein? (sorry not trying to hijack)

BTW..if your doing all these, you should do the Sea 2 Summit!
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

CliffG

Postby CliffG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:15 pm

I did the 200k last year and spent Christmas and early January trying to get as many long rides in as possible before the event. I got a couple 150k rides in but never managed to get anything longer than that. I had never ridden a hill with more than 600m elevation gain before the day. Even without doing sufficient mileage prior to the event you may well manage to get through it but the more miles you have under your belt beforehand the more you are going to enjoy the day.

On the day the plan was to just survive and I never went into the red at any point, I had a pretty dark period going up Mt Buffalo but other than that felt good most of the day. I finished in 9 hours even, which wasn't too bad as a first time effort for a fat old bloke, but in retrospect I spent too much time faffing about at a couple of checkpoints and there was of course the slow death march up Buffalo as well. At the time my time was irrelevant to me but naturally one of my friends has since told me that he has done it 4 minutes faster, which leaves me to reflect upon the time I spent casually gazing at the scenery whilst eating an icy pole up at Dingo Dell.

I am not built like DaccordiRider and am not a natural climber by any means but the event is magnificently organized in the most beautiful part of Australia so is a must do for any cyclist. My tips for first timers would be:

1. Try to keep the Christmas weight gain to minimum
2. Don't even think about racing until you have the first 150k under your belt - I was zone2 and low zone3 HR all day.
3. Eat often and little throughout the day.
4. Jump in the river after the finish and recuperate.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Don't forget the beer from the local brewery for your recovery drink.
Certified Brand Snob

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Schmenz wrote:Just had a look at the website. I really want to do this but will be overseas for work :(

Theres Fitz and the Apline Classic - any others in a similiar vein? (sorry not trying to hijack)

There is the 3 peaks challenge as well.http://www.bv.com.au/general/great-rides/42359/

Never heard of the Sea 2 Summit, shame they don't post the profile.
Certified Brand Snob

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:34 pm

its from merimbula to mt kosciuszko.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:39 pm

As much as my climbing has improved, and desire to do such an event, the ability to get the longer rides in (family time) is a major factor.

Also, riding for 8+ hrs and a lot of hills is a bit daunting to say the least.

Hats off to those that have a go. You have my respect.

I'm even thinking of trying the loop that Daccordi suggested in another thread 91km with 2,400m climbing. May even suck up the courage and try and see if I can ride it with him .... :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote: But this weekend I have Sunday off and will do Amy's ride, with the ride to the event and home will get about 180km.
Looking fwd to the Amy's ride this weekend, and with the ride back, I'll be up to 150km. Hoping desperately for no headwiind on the way back ....

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:13 pm

I'll make sure I have my Norwood Cycle gear on, you might spot me!
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:I'll make sure I have my Norwood Cycle gear on, you might spot me!
Will keep an eye out. I'll be on my Kona with the discs !!

Seems the temp is dropping too. Forecast is now for 27 deg.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
Schmenz wrote:Just had a look at the website. I really want to do this but will be overseas for work :(

There is the 3 peaks challenge as well.http://www.bv.com.au/general/great-rides/42359/

Never heard of the Sea 2 Summit, shame they don't post the profile.
oooo i have my next training mission... i was wondering what i would do after s2s. this looks like something to work for! :mrgreen: