Muscle Fatigue

j.l.c

Muscle Fatigue

Postby j.l.c » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi all, quick question regarding a training program.

Issue is as follows. I have been riding for about 4-5 months, when I first started I found it was my cardio which was stopping me. Now my cardio is pretty good, recover very quick during rides and only the long steep hill really get me into that really uncomfortable zone.

I did the Sydney to Gong ride on the weekend, the majority of the climbs I found not too strenuous, was able to hold a conversation with riders next to me who seemed to be struggling a from a cardio point of view (and looked to be regular riders as well).

My issue is as soon I have had a few decent climbs my quads are finished. Cardio has no worries but legs have just had it. Climbing out of the national park on the weekend was where I started to notice, and struggled in pain all the way to the end.

I don't think it is lactic acid as lactic acid is due the the conversation of ATP in the absence of sufficient oxygen and I was not where near the limit of my oxygen intake or cardio system. I have lactic acid build up a lot when I played soccer and this feels very different both during and after. Wasn't due to lack of carbs or hydration, as I had been carb loading and hydrating leading up to the ride and energy levels felt good.

I think it was just straight forward muscular fatigue. What sort of cycling exercises can I do to focus on this weakness??

ni78ck

Re: Muscle Fatigue

Postby ni78ck » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:25 pm

keep riding! its that easy :D
i did the gong ride for the first time three years ago. i had only bought my bike two months before that.
it took me four and a half hours to complete with stops :shock: :shock: :shock:
i did the gong ride again for the second time on sunday and did it in 2 hours and 37 minutes :D with a return of three hours and a total of 195kms for the day.
it just gets faster but not easier!
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

j.l.c

Postby j.l.c » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Cheers!!

I am a little concerned as there where a few points where i was in my granny gear and actully concerned i wouldn't be able to turn the cog. I have a JDRF ride in Jan which is 160km with a mountain in the middle i am worries i wont make it, realy need to work on my muscular endurance.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 pm

j.l.c wrote:I think it was just straight forward muscular fatigue.
This.

It isn't an excess of blood lactate (which is a fuel in any case and not the cause of soreness or fatigue).
j.l.c wrote:What sort of cycling exercises can I do to focus on this weakness??
You are very new to cycling, so it will take consistent training over a few years to build up the capabilities.

As you ride more, include efforts such as longer climbs, and similar level efforts done on flatter terrain.

It's about gradually increasing your workload over time.

j.l.c

Postby j.l.c » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Yep all understood thanks!!! :D

Wierd thing is when ever this occurs, i don't get any sorness or stiffness immediatly after or DOMS so i dont think there are micro tears . Its only during the actual ride.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 pm

lactic acid is actually used by muscles for fuel, so it isnt a bad thing..

Like the second poster mentioned, its just time in the saddle. Oxford is right, the more you do something, the more efficent the body gets to doing it.. OP I know what you are feeling, but I dont quite get it so bad where I cant turn the pedals. Usually if I have climbed over 2000m in a ride, the last few hills near home start to hurt. Some things you could work on are more pulling rather than pushing with your legs, and spin faster on the climbs, ?
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

vander

Postby vander » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Addictr3 wrote:lactic acid is actually used by muscles for fuel, so it isnt a bad thing..

Like the second poster mentioned, its just time in the saddle. Oxford is right, the more you do something, the more efficent the body gets to doing it.. OP I know what you are feeling, but I dont quite get it so bad where I cant turn the pedals. Usually if I have climbed over 2000m in a ride, the last few hills near home start to hurt. Some things you could work on are more pulling rather than pushing with your legs, and spin faster on the climbs, ?
I wouldnt say to pull. Pros dont pull (read in an article a long time ago) unless they are sprinting they only lift the weight of their leg pulling is negligible.

fringe_dweller

Postby fringe_dweller » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 am

Addictr3 wrote: Some things you could work on are more pulling rather than pushing with your legs, and spin faster on the climbs
Actually, I think his problem is when the gradient of the hill is such that he *can't* spin fast. I have a similar issue, but I'm stubborn and refusing to buy a compact. I am spending some time riding hills that require me to spin at 60 (still maintaining a reasonable level of power) with the hope that my leg strength will come up to speed.

Grant

j.l.c

Postby j.l.c » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:23 am

fringe_dweller wrote:
Addictr3 wrote: Some things you could work on are more pulling rather than pushing with your legs, and spin faster on the climbs
Actually, I think his problem is when the gradient of the hill is such that he *can't* spin fast. I have a similar issue, but I'm stubborn and refusing to buy a compact. I am spending some time riding hills that require me to spin at 60 (still maintaining a reasonable level of power) with the hope that my leg strength will come up to speed.

Grant
This!

I dont have compact, and am in my granny gear so spinning faster isn't an option.

sogood

Muscle Fatigue

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:49 am

j.l.c wrote:I dont have compact, and am in my granny gear so spinning faster isn't an option.
Then there are times when it's faster to get off the bike and walk/run with the bike. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Addictr3 wrote:lactic acid is actually used by muscles for fuel, so it isnt a bad thing..

Lactate is not used as fuel. That's silly dribble.
Lactate is a dead-end metabolite which comes from anaerobic metabolism of glucose. It needs to go back to the liver to be metabolized back into a from that can then be burnt aerobically. Google "Cori cycle".
You have officially become your parents.

vander

Postby vander » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

Wish I could like that post Ken.

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:12 pm

Move your saddle back and your cleats back. Take a look on Steve Hogg's website and he explains the reason why most people ride with a set-up that loads up their quads and doesn't share the load around the other leg muscles. Until I found Steve I used to struggle to walk up stairs after a race or long ride, my quads hurt that much. Then I adjusted my position, and quad pain disappeared - simple because my hammies and calf muscles were now doing some work and the quads werent getting such a hammering
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed