Weight Loss (sports dietican)

RobRollin

Weight Loss (sports dietican)

Postby RobRollin » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi,

I need help with a dietican, from Tas or one that can operate via online. I need serious advie on my diet to lose around 7-10kgs but maintain similar power. In the past Ive lost weight myself, sometimes Its sacrificed power which I didn't want to lose. Mainly Im a sprinter but racing at Club level I need to get my weight a little lower to climb better (being in Hobart this is a advantage).

Can anyone reccommend me a sports nutritionist that they know or head of?

Thanks

Rob

Addictr3

Re: Weight Loss (sports dietican)

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:56 pm

not in Aus but very useful

http://www.leangains.com/

get reading :-)
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:22 am

An accredited sports dietitian would be the safest place to start.
Sports Dietitians Australia website lists one in Tasmania.

http://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/find ... Lisboa/934

I've had consults with 5 dietitians through the years and some have been useless at communicating actionable information.
If you feel confused by what a dietitian is telling you, persist asking them to explain it in terms you understand.

Further, many dietitians won't give you a "prescriptive diet plan", but this is what works best.
Such a plan is essentially a meal plan for one week, that spells out portion sizes of major ingredients.

Some dietitians just give you general guidelines to cover your plate with 2/3 of this and 1/3 of that, don't eat too much of this, have more of that, etc.
The ones that do this have a vested interest in you failing to lose weight so you come back for more paid consultations to clarify where you are going wrong.

A sports dietitian should also measure your progress by weight and skinfold measurement. They recognize it is bodyfat you are trying to lose, and muslce you are trying to preserve. Many of the high fashion diets result in a high % of muscle tissue loss. A sports dietitian should guide you how to minimize muscle loss.

Finally, don't be put off by the cost. An initial consult is normally less than $100, most of which is recoverable by health funds. Follow ups are about 2/3 to 3/4 of this. If you follow the diet, you should not require more than 2-3 visits. This money will be quickly returned to you by the smaller amount of food you are eating.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:06 am

Rob

their is one in our local phone book
when do we stop for coffee???

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the useful advice, I've been in contact with a sports dietician whose actually a cyclists so this will help with my 2012 preparation.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:19 pm

nice, got any free advice?

skull

Postby skull » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey Rob, I just came back from a training camp and they discussed power and weight loss.

Basically they said unless you are an already extremely lean person losing weight thru healthy diet will not have a negative affect on power performance. They said even if you do lose some of your power the actual weight lose will cause you Watts per Kg to be higher and it is only when you are already quite lean could it cause you Watts per Kg to be less.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:58 am

skull wrote:Hey Rob, I just came back from a training camp and they discussed power and weight loss.

Basically they said unless you are an already extremely lean person losing weight thru healthy diet will not have a negative affect on power performance. They said even if you do lose some of your power the actual weight lose will cause you Watts per Kg to be higher and it is only when you are already quite lean could it cause you Watts per Kg to be less.

interesting. I am currently trying to reduce my bad carb intake (high GI) and to increase my protein intake
when do we stop for coffee???