Training for U13s - Thoughts?

JB

Postby JB » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 am

Having two boys (11, 8) that are keen cyclists i careful to follow a golden rule - 'ride safe and have fun'.

however, the 11 yr old is starting to race (track & road).

his bikes are gear restricted (5.5 meters)

my questions is if he asks me to take him on a training ride, i have no idea what i should be doing apart from 'follow me'.

should i buy some coaching for kids? does it even exist? is it too early t even start?

thoughts?

philip

Re: Training for U13s - Thoughts?

Postby philip » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Whereabouts are you? Does his club haev a junior program or something?

JB

Postby JB » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:08 pm

in wa, there are some clubs that do junior coaching but not mine...pity.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Peel Districts have a junior cycling program and have a dedicated coach for the juniors.

Tonight at the time trial, there were about 3-4 kids doing the short 10k ride and dads were doing the 16k TT.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 am

You pretty much do the same as for everyone else but on a smaller scale. Just don't push them to hard and alow them to enjoy it and have fun! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:01 am

Doing stuff with Dad is the height of awesome at 11 years old. Enjoy it! :D

The key is not to push them too hard, and leave them wanting more.

The same rules about recovery would apply: one week easy every fourth. I'd suggest reading up on periodizaton in training so that you know when *not* to push, which is just as important as knowing how hard to go.

If you can't interest your club in starting something quickly, I'd consider moving clubs to one that has a juniors program. But I'd ask first, you may find other dads who are keen and will provide enough of a support base to get something moving.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:03 pm

+1 to all of the above.
I would if my boy asked buy him some one-on-one coaching (the best I can afford or justify) - guy I worked with has three Australian level gymnastics champs and a performance super star. He got them all the coaching he could afford and even moved one interstate to be near the best coach for them.

Of course this is an extreme example and depends on how keen you are for them pursue cycling.

But some good coaching at this early age will be very valuable for him – even if it is a just a block that he can get some good technique tips from.

I also think the discipline involved with being coached is good for kids
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:39 pm

steve-waters wrote: I also think the discipline involved with being coached is good for kids
Just gotta watch out for the clash of personalaties! :idea: :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:15 pm

is it too early t even start?
... as an 11yo as for "racing" it is possibly too early.
Would nurture as others have said, slowly, shorter rides
than you would possibly do, on low gears (even single freewheel)
As for coaching... save your money.
Keep up the interest, also encourage skills and safety.
And make it enjoyable, is about all I would say.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I have ridden with my youngest lad for about 3.5 years; he's just turned 16 a month ago. He has had a coach for 3 months and wasn't ready for one any earlier than that. He rode mtn bikes for 2 yrs and started road racing this year.

I think 11yo is too young for structured coaching. A clinic/camp now and then etc may be good IF he's interested but it won't matter if he's not.

There are plenty of good people in the cycling community who care and help and advice is available through them.

When we rode I did try to get him to practice good technique sometimes. I'm unsure if it was too much but he now is technically decent and still listens to me on rare occasions.
I personally think that has some importance; many don't. It shouldn't be a focus though.

My take on it all now:-

Ride together and enjoy yourselves. It is a very fortunate man who can do these things with his children nowadays.
Focus on good things.
Vary the rides. Do hills, flat, pace, whatever comes up really. As long as they're reasonably do-able rides.
Teach him good eating/drinking habits while riding (or rest and eat, whatever).
If he's being a dick with traffic/road sense sort it out immediately; take him home if he won't listen.

My lad wanted to do some rides that I knew were going to be very hard for him....but we went anyway. And he struggled sometimes but that one is a tough call to make. I think they were good things to do.

I am immeasurably fortunate to have been able to spend over 3 years riding with one of my sons. My friends tell me they are envious.

We don't ride much together at the moment because :-

things are a bit prickly at times (teenage/parent stuff); :oops: :cry: :shock: :evil: :lol: 8).......

and I can't keep up (his warmup pace is faster than my fast ride pace). :oops:

Have fun. It is a FANTASTIC time.

slickkola

Postby slickkola » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi JB,

My 2 boys who were 11 and 12 at the time took part in the junior coaching clinic run by Peel District Cycling Club. Please keep in mind that neither of my 2 boys had any idea how to get on a road bike, let alone ride one when they started in the clinic in September this year. Now fast forward to December , they both ride in the time trials on Wednesday afternnons, and now have both competed in the crits on Sunday.

Even though they are young and at this stage not time competitive, the solid grounding that they have been given will hold them in good stead, no matter how far they take this cycling. Some of the positives that I beleive that they have gained are that they have been taught the correct bike handling skills, road craft both amongst other riders and traffic. Simple things that most would take for granted such as correct braking positions, and cornering positions, pacelining for example.

Not only have my two youngun's benefitted, but the improvement and confidence gained by the older students (15+) has been quite remarkable to watch. With some winning in the crits, and the continuing improvements in the tt's has been great.

Murray Coombs runs the clinics and he is an accredited NCAS Level 2 Cycling Coach and I couldn't reccommend him highly enough.

The clinics are normally held in Rockingham, (check the website http://www.pdcc.asn.au/Junior%20News.pdf)

Another point about the club racing scene, is that the boys get to ride in a more protected environment (as opposed to the open road) as the circuits are well marshalled and sign posted.

The most important thing about this whole experience so far, is that the boys (and myself as I started riding at the same time) are really enjoying their cycling - so it can only be good!

JB if you have any questions don't hesitate in asking.

Cheers

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 am

Jimmy - your young blokes are going great guns
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

JB

Postby JB » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Wow, thanks for the replies people!

I think i'm going to just keep him with me perhaps doing 2-3 rides in the morning on some quiet stretches (eg Shelly) - and having fun!

So agree with the safety and fun priorities.

Cheers all.

ps I just wish we lived nearer some of these nice clubs that cater for juniors more! :)