Interval training question

janus77

Interval training question

Postby janus77 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Howdy all, i'm just getting back into some gym work to help improve the cycling fitness.
In the past i've found the electric bikes at the gym quite useful as i can get an indicator on my fitness improvements by seeing how i operate/improve at different resistance levels etc.

The machines have resistance from 1 (min) to 20 (max).

The plan which i've used before is to do 45-50 minute sessions of intervals, 1 min high resistance and 1 min lower recovery. I do a 5-10 minute warm up depending on how i'm feeling and then set it at around 6 and 14, keeping rpm above 90 on the higher resistance and above 80 on the lower. As i gain fitness and strength i'll increase the resistance to 8 and 16, takes a while to get there though. I'll start throwing in some higher resistance sessions too later, where i do 2 min on 14 and 1 min recovery on 6.
I definitely notice it on the bike when i'm fit at intervals, i can push myself into the red when i need to, and the recovery back to a maintainable heart-rate is much faster.

Are 1 minute intervals and recovery a reasonable interval plan, or should i be changing it up a bit to get longer and shorter periods within each workout?

i'm doing 2 of these interval sessions a week, 2 early morning rides on the road, 1 set leg weights, and 1 yoga to keep the back and muscles limber. Also try to do an 80-100km ride on the weekends, though i'm only just getting back into these.

thanks for any advice :)

PawPaw

Re: Interval training question

Postby PawPaw » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:53 pm

If you are still in the early days of conditioning, I'd recommend you make your ergo sessions steady state, rather than intervals.
Consider them 40-45 minute time trials. Keep an eye on your HR, and recognize the level you can sustain. That will be helpful for road rides.

In the early stages of training, your physiology will make more efficient gains more safely with steady state around lactate threshold, than sub LT with intervals.
Intervals cause turbulent blood flow, which is more damaging to fragile arteries especially at bifurcations. Blood flow with steady state exercise is more laminar, and gentler on arterial walls.

After you do 6-8 weeks of steady state TTs, I'd suggest you start adding intervals.

janus77

Postby janus77 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Is there any easy rule of thumb type way to measure when my fitness might be at a level to benefit more from intervals?

I'm 34yrs old, 178cm, 78kg. I'm assuming my max HR would be around 186 or so (220 less my age?), would steady state around lactate threshold then be around 168bpm or so as a rough indicator?

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:01 pm

janus77 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

Is there any easy rule of thumb type way to measure when my fitness might be at a level to benefit more from intervals?

I'm 34yrs old, 178cm, 78kg. I'm assuming my max HR would be around 186 or so (220 less my age?), would steady state around lactate threshold then be around 168bpm or so as a rough indicator?
Lactate Threshold is highly trainable, so it varies significantly depending on fitness. Take note of the Level 4 description below.
I'd suggest for the first 3 weeks, you do 5 min warm up, 2x20 minute Level 4 rides, separated by 5 minutes at Level 2 or 3, 3 minute warm down.
Then progress to a 30 and 10, or 1x40min.
Speed will always be determined by your fitness. As fitness improves, speed will also.

You can do Tempo pace on your road rides, and put a few efforts in when required on hills etc.

Regarding rule of thumb for interval training, generally you want to have a solid base of aerobic conditioning (endurance with some tempo pace), and imho, at least 2-3 mths of lactate threshold intensity riding behind you, if coming from a period of sedentary or minimal activity lifestyle. This is to give the vasculature time to adapt to the turbulent blood flow and higher blood pressure (systolic can be >180) and HR associated with the initial acceleration of intervals. Depending on diet and lifestyle, even a guy in his 30s can have fragile spots in their arteries, which can predispose to heart attack and stroke. And even in the absence of these, the trauma of intervals can cause microtrauma to vessels, and associated inflammation, which will weaken and compromise tissue over time.

NEvertheless, if you have lived a reasonably healthy and active lifestyle, you'd most likely be safe to move towards intervals earlier.

Power Training Levels, by Andrew Coggan
Level , Name, Average Power, Average HR, Perceived Exertion, Description

1 Active Recovery <55% <68% <2
"Easy spinning" or "light pedal pressure", i.e., very low level exercise, too low in and of itself to induce significant physiological adaptations. Minimal sensation of leg effort/fatigue. Requires no concentration to maintain pace, and continuous conversation possible. Typically used for active recovery after strenuous training days (or races), between interval efforts, or for socializing.

2 Endurance 56-75% 69-83% 2-3
"All day" pace, or classic long slow distance (LSD) training. Sensation of leg effort/fatigue generally low, but may rise periodically to higher levels (e.g., when climbing). Concentration generally required to maintain effort only at highest end of range and/or during longer training sessions. Breathing is more regular than at level 1, but continuous conversation still possible. Frequent (daily) training sessions of moderate duration (e.g., 2 h) at level 2 possible (provided dietary carbohydrate intake is adequate), but complete recovery from very long workouts may take more than 24 hs.

3 Tempo 76-90% 84-94% 3-4
Typical intensity of fartlek workout, 'spirited' group ride, or briskly moving paceline. More frequent/greater sensation of leg effort/fatigue than at level 2. Requires concentration to maintain alone, especially at upper end of range, to prevent effort from falling back to level 2. Breathing deeper and more rhythmic than level 2, such that any conversation must be somewhat halting, but not as difficult as at level 4. Recovery from level 3 training sessions more difficult than after level 2 workouts, but consecutive days of level 3 training still possible if duration is not excessive and dietary carbohydrate intake is adequate.

4 Lactate Threshold 91-105% 95-105%(may not be achieved during initial phases of effort(s)) 4-5
Just below to just above TT effort, taking into account duration, current fitness, environmental conditions, etc. Essentially continuous sensation of moderate or even greater leg effort/fatigue. Continuous conversation difficult at best, due to depth/frequency of breathing. Effort sufficiently high that sustained exercise at this level is mentally very taxing - therefore typically performed in training as multiple 'repeats', 'modules', or 'blocks' of 10-30 min duration. Consecutive days of training at level 4 possible, but such workouts generally only performed when sufficiently rested/recovered from prior training so as to be able to maintain intensity.

5 VO2 Max 106-120% >106% 6-7
Typical intensity of longer (3-8 min) intervals intended to increase VO2max. Strong to severe sensations of leg effort/fatigue, such that completion of more than 30-40 min total training time is difficult at best. Conversation not possible due to often 'ragged' breathing. Should generally be attempted only when adequately recovered from prior training - consecutive days of level 5 work not necessarily desirable even if possible.

Note: At this level, the average heart rate may not be due to slowness of heart rate response and/or ceiling imposed by maximum heart rate)

6 Anaerobic Capacity >121% N/A >7
Short (30 s to 3 min), high intensity intervals designed to increase anaerobic capacity. Heart rate generally not useful as guide to intensity due to non-steady-state nature of effort. Severe sensation of leg effort/fatigue, and conversation impossible. Consecutive days of extended level 6 training usually not attempted.

7 Neuromuscular Power N/A N/A * (Maximal)
Very short, very high intensity efforts (e.g., jumps, standing starts, short sprints) that generally place greater stress on musculoskeletal rather than metabolic systems. Power useful as guide, but only in reference to prior similar efforts, not TT pace.
Last edited by PawPaw on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janus77

Postby janus77 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:06 pm

great, thanks!
the explanation on how easy it is to speak while doing the exercise is a good rule of thumb for me :)