should you ride the day after a 100km

fionahills

should you ride the day after a 100km

Postby fionahills » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:19 am

Hi there

a relatively new rider - have done two 100km rides in last two weeks - absolutely no speed records broken (i was last in except for a rider with a flat) but I did finish and did not walk up any hills!!!

first one I was fine and went for a nice flat 30 km the next day, today I feel woeful, very flat and a bit sore all over - should I go for a ride to loosen up or just rest.

sorry if this is a silly question but really not sure of when I should push it and when I should back off - at the moment just aiming for 200 km a week to build up - -riding in small ring mostly and trying to keep a high cadence. I am definitely a slow end rider - averaging about 22-23 kph on anything over 20 km in distance. Thanks in advance.

Fiona

clackers

Re: should you ride the day after a 100km

Postby clackers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:35 am

fionahills wrote:
first one I was fine and went for a nice flat 30 km the next day, today I feel woeful, very flat and a bit sore all over - should I go for a ride to loosen up or just rest.
Do some activity to loosen up, Fiona, or the body can kick in aggressively with its repairs and you might get swelling, feel sore, etc.

Footy players often do swimming first thing in the morning after a game, Tour de France riders on their one rest day in a competition week actually hop on the bike and do a 2-3 hour low intensity ride.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:47 am

I've done some 100km MTB events on a Sunday and found it hard when having to work the next day (desk jockey). Always feel that it would be nice to go for a slow/easy pedal, then rest completely the next day. Take notice of the Monday night footy news reports showing the team in the pool the day after the match.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:59 am

When I did my first 100km ride the other weekend (B2GC) I thought I’d be stiff and sore for the next few days. But I rode a slow 10km an hour or so after finishing the 100km, where I was pushing pretty hard. Had a big protein meal, drank plenty of water and did lots of stretching and was completely fine the next day. Much better than my normal rides where I’ll go hard for 40 or 50 then stop with a coffee and do nothing. I really think that slow ride helped my recovery.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:08 am

Do a very gentle (and flat) 20km roll, and have a good stretch when you get home.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

ratter

Postby ratter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:22 pm

are we talking low intensity or low cadence or a combination of both?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:20 pm

A recovery ride helps some... but most people do recovery rides too hard. Read no hills, no force, don't push it in anyway. Only do it if you feel like a ride, if you are really tired then better to have a day off.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:33 pm

I just went for a 20 km ride - at 20 kph average 75rpm - pretty flat only a small rise over the bridge -do feel a bit better but stayed off the road and did repeats of new bike path - not up to handling traffic today!

I don't think I was up to the ride yesterday. It was a bit lumpy over the first 25 km and very lumpy in the second 25 km.
There were only a small number of people(50 odd)- and it was very well organised with sweepers to pick up the crumbs (me!!!) on the first 25 the sweeper let me settle into my own pace (average 22.5) but the '(middle 50km) other sweeper was a very good rider and was 'coaching' me (to try and get me to keep up with the group)- he was trying to help and I was grateful but I am not good enough to hold 25 to 30kph over any distance.

I am still trying to ride at consistent cadence of 90-95 - and to do that I am still mainly in the small ring and probably not pedalling very well - am certainly not very strong in the legs -

I think the combination of riding the big ring more, and the lumps and trying to hold a faster past killed me -

By the last 25 I was back with the 'patient' sweep (i think the other poor guy gave up in disgust after helping me for so long to no avail.) and came in about 10 minutes behind the rest of them.

so I think I just overdid it a bit - i really have only been riding with any consistency for 6 weeks and was never a bike rider. Guess I should have checked that I was up to the ride before I took part - hated keeping them waiting. But you did nominate your time and I had said 20 to 25 av depending on lumps - looks like I need more help and lots more riding

thanks so much for your advice about easy ride today. do feel better thanks Fiona

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Sounds like a brilliant effort to me. I rode a lot more than that before I tackled a century ride.
So, are you a cyclist yet ?
You have officially become your parents.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi ken - trying to earn the title - I'd love to be a cyclist.

10 kilos lighter and 10 kms an hour faster and maybe I'll be close :D

I really hope so......Fiona

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 pm

fionahills wrote:Hi ken - trying to earn the title - I'd love to be a cyclist.

10 kilos lighter and 10 kms an hour faster and maybe I'll be close :D

I really hope so......Fiona
I think you're already there Fiona!

No need to be a certain weight or ride at a certain speed to be a cyclist.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Too nice to me you guys - the guy on sunday told me I was sooking !!! he was right - it hurt!!!!!

fi

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 pm

fionahills wrote:Too nice to me you guys - the guy on sunday told me I was sooking !!! he was right - it hurt!!!!!

fi
Read this, see if it helps
http://www.velominati.com/the-rides/le- ... omics-101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this
http://www.velominati.com/tradition/on- ... -the-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll find some more for you. They have a random artlce generator, and sometimes it's hard to find the one you want.

Rule #5, always worth contemplating
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/the-rule-5-talk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely this
http://www.velominati.com/tradition/the ... he-hammer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still can't find the one I want. It's about Rule #10.
We all hurt. The trick is to not let it bother you.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks so much - I loved the articles especially the first one as there was 4km of gravel road...gravel !!!- for me on a road bike with skinny tyres..... I nearly died when I saw it - luckily by then I was on my own - except for a kindly following motorbike who cheered me on..
I made it through but I had visions of terrible gravel rash.... my hubby knew I'd be freaking so waited at the end for me - that was nice as we usually agree to just ride our own times and only meet up if something really bad happens ...like more than one flat per ride...

The more I talk to you guys the better I feel - be careful - I might start thinking I can do this - thanks again - i really do appreciate the time you take to point out little gems of wisdom.

Going to put in some more miles and get some coaching (if I can find a sympthetic one who recognises that 50 year old bodies don't respond quite the same way as they do at 20 or 30 or even 40).

thanks again Fiona

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:58 am

Well, luckily for you, cycling is largely an older persons sport these days. KIds are all too busy being cotton-wooled, and while there are a lot of good youngsters in the sport, there are many oldies too, if for no other reason than it's good for knees.
After I read the Pain-o-nomimcs article, I have been less bothered by gravel myself, and have stared deliberately riding off the edge of the road from time to time to get used to it.
On my ride yesterday, I was zipping along a country road playing leap frog with the garbo truck and another truck came along. While I could have stayed on the bitumen, I used my new found gravel skillz to escape to safety. It was a bit hard and slippery, but kept the rubber side down.

richbee

Postby richbee » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Fiona
Well done on completing the Bris to GC and the Ride4MD, two 100k rides in successive weekends is pretty good going for a newcomer.
I must though caution against doing too much too soon which is probably the reason you were a bit flat on Monday. That goes too I think for your intention to do 200km a week to build up. I'd say at this early stage it may be better to back off the miles a little bit and do shorter rides till you find your legs and then push for longer distances. Maybe try say a 50km and a 30km ride Saturdays and Sundays, with say three additional 20k rides in the week and two rest days built in. The rest is important as that allows your body to recover and rebuild. As you get stronger increase the weekend distances, but maintain the shorter weekday rides a bit longer. Use the shorter weekday rides to work on speed rather than distance.
I do like that you're pedalling at a high cadence.

In answer to your original question, a light recovery ride the day after a 100km event is good for you. Breaks down any lactic acid build-up and lets you recover faster. But then rest the next day.

Keep cycling, and kudo's to you for taking up a new challenge.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for giving me the extra advice about how to build up - I was wondering about it - its great to have some information about how to build up properly - especially the speed side - I knew that I had to spin rather than push hard, but also thought it was important to do as many miles as possible - its good to know that 20km is Ok. I was worried that it might be too short to do any good. so much I don't know yet

20km is a great distance for me because I have the energy to push it a bit and try to get the speed higher - I am also trying to keep the gearing a little harder but cadence the same on the shorter rides. I have a nice 20km loop that lets me push it hard for a while (hard for me anyway) along a quiet road, have rest, and then try again.
Also trying not to rely on the granny gear for the little lumps -
50km is great cos thats to noosa and back and has some hills that I still find challenging.

Thanks so much - I did take 2 days off this week cos I was really tired -today felt good again and have just come back from a 20km - very nice distance for me. usually do it twice but after reading your posts just did it the once and feel terrific.

thanks again - you are all a great help Fiona

richbee

Postby richbee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:39 am

Not to worry, you'll get to the point where 20km feels too easy, then you'll know it's time to increase the distance, or the effort. What you're trying to guard against now is the onset of fatigue, the shorter rides and rest days between the big effort rides is what lets you recover and avoid that feeling of being continually tired, specially now when you're just getting started.

On your shorter rides find a couple of rear cogs (ideally one) that you can use comfortably in both the small and big front chainrings, then keep to those as much as you can, and only change the front chainrings for hills & flats to keep your cadence around 90 ppm. There will be a few "little lumps" when this won't be possible, but time and effort will reduce the number of these.

Pinch of salt time, remember that what I'm telling you is based on my opinion and what works for me. It may not work for you but use it as a start and work from there.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:06 pm

hi again

sorry for constant questions :? - did a 23 k ride - went out as hard as I could early, about 25kph for 10 kms and then got tired and hit a head wind - so slowed down - cadence stayed at av 83 but average speed for total ride was only 21 kph (so I must have been really slow in second half)- so even though I halved the distance I did, I did not improve either speed or cadence. I did keep a higher speed up the little 3-4% lump and spent some time in big ring at front - trying to stay in about the middle of the back. Is this OK or am I missing the point of previous advice because I did not improve on average speed -

IGNORE me if my constant questions are driving you all mad !!!-

I need to get a coach - but am worried that I could not do enough to make it worth their while - anyone know of anyone around sunshine coast who would be happy to work with beginner

thanks again everyone. fiona

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:33 pm

I think you worry too much...

Your average speed will vary based on road conditions, hills / flat and (as you saw today) wind conditions. It's not unusual to have your average speed 'dip' in certain rides as a result.

As someone starting out I would be concentrating on your pedalling (as discussed) and enjoying yourself.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:18 pm

arthurdog

you are right I do worry too much - need to chill a bit, and relax and just enjoy it.

So I went out this afternoon and rode on the drops - very first time - woohooo......also had a drink ON THE BIKE..... small miracles

I really like doing the group rides and am aiming to improve enough that I don't get left too far behind - I just need to be patient.

Thanks for the reminder - relax, ride and enjoy and the rest will come - i hope fiona

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 pm

It took me well over 6 months to do a 100km ride, and that was an all day effort with a stop for lunch. You are doing great, perhaps just a bit too much too soon.

I still rarely do 100k rides, with a nice long ride usually in the 80-90 k range with some hills thrown in or a fast paced flat ride. But I do 3-4 rides a week totalling around 200km and after 2 years I can now tackle anything up to 120km fairly comfortably.

Take it easy and build up slowly - you will notice the difference in a few more months, and if my experience is anything to go by you may suddenly drop a few kg after 3-4 months of consistent riding.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

richbee

Postby richbee » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:09 am

fionahills wrote:hi again

sorry for constant questions :? - did a 23 k ride - went out as hard as I could early, about 25kph for 10 kms and then got tired and hit a head wind - so slowed down - cadence stayed at av 83 but average speed for total ride was only 21 kph (so I must have been really slow in second half)- so even though I halved the distance I did, I did not improve either speed or cadence. I did keep a higher speed up the little 3-4% lump and spent some time in big ring at front - trying to stay in about the middle of the back. Is this OK or am I missing the point of previous advice because I did not improve on average speed -

IGNORE me if my constant questions are driving you all mad !!!-

I need to get a coach - but am worried that I could not do enough to make it worth their while - anyone know of anyone around sunshine coast who would be happy to work with beginner

thanks again everyone. fiona
Try stay in the 2nd, 3rd,4th largest cogs at the back and swap between the front chainrings for a higher cadence ride. Only use the middle cogs for downhills, and try keep off the bottom three till you've a good few more miles in your legs (or hurtling down Eumundi Range Road). If you hit a headwind your pace will drop, don't worry about it.
I don't know that you need a coach, more likely someone to ride with who can taske the wind when you're tired, point out improvements to your technique, and just simply give encouragement. Are their any cycling clubs in your area? There must be a couple with a beginners group that you could hook up with.

Keep asking the questions.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:25 pm

richbee wrote:There must be a couple with a beginners group that you could hook up with.
THIS link might be a good place to start looking Fiona....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks so much Guys -

have sent the sunshine coast club an email and asked if they have a beginners group - that would make a big difference - when I ride with my daughters and husband they are all much faster than me and rather than hold them up I send them off and catch up with them later -

The girls are learning too but have much younger legs and are improving fast. Its a bugger getting older.....

I would just like to get the basics right and then improve as much as my fitness and ability(???) allows.

sticking to the 20 to 25 per day on weekdays, longer on the weekends and have gone up a couple of cogs now - cadence down a little but working to bring it back to 85-90. Doing the little hills around here in the harder gears and have noticed that I can hold speed a little higher for a little longer. Also trying to go flat chat (for me) a couple of times every ride - even getting a bit sweaty but that could be the weather!!!

Thanks so much for your help very much appreciated Fiona