Help Training for the Bike Leg of the Canberra Half Ironman

Hanibal

Help Training for the Bike Leg of the Canberra Half Ironman

Postby Hanibal » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Hello All,

Sorry for the long winded post. I am trying to provide as much info as possible.

I have signed up to complete the bike leg of the Camberra Half Ironman on 16th December 2012. I will be completing it as a 3 man relay team so my focus is on the bike leg.

I currently ride about 200 km per week or between 5-6 hours. Family and work committments constrain me from putting in any more hours.

My aim is to get under 2h:30m.
I have 9 weeks.

The course: I have included a map of the course with elevation levels
http://connect.garmin.com/course/227023 ... aJhE.email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a 30 km course that is looped 3 times. It looks like there is only one hill of significance.

My current Training

Tuesday

20 min warmup Hill Repeats x 6 500 m (AT) 8 % 1m:30s RBI,

Thursday
1-1.5 hour ride
20min warmup, 2X15 MIN TT

Saturday
1-1.5 hour ride
Warm up or ride at z2, 1X 30 MIN TT

Sunday
2.5- 3 hour ride
Endurance ride. i like to include a 40min TT in hear depending on how I feel.

Current equipment
2011 Merida Scultura 905. I don't use aero bars or an earo helmet.

Now to my questions:
Any tips on improving my training?
Should I Invest in some TT bars or Aero now seeing that there is only 9 weeks to get used to them.
I currently run some Durace c35 clinchers. I can get my hands on some ZIPP 404 CLINCHERS. Should I borrow them for the race?
Any advice from anyone who may have ridden this course.

Thanks in Advance.

Ken Ho

Re: Help Training for the Bike Leg of the Canberra Half Iron

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 pm

What time do you do 90km in now ?
Aero position definitely adds at least a few kph, IF you can hold it. Aero helmet is worth 3mins over IM 180km, halve that for 70.3. Aero wheels also worth 3mins over 180. Those figures are constant regardless of your speed, apparently.
You have officially become your parents.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi Ken,

I can push 32kph over rolling terrain.

Do you think I have enough time to get used to tri bars?

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 pm

That's a respectable speed, but won't get you 2:30. I think you need 36kph to get that. Tri bike, aero bars, aero wheels, sperm hat together with some last minute cramming might just get you there.
You defintely have time to get used to tri bars. Many peeps out there will have done minimal training on their tri bike. Handling is not too much of an issue cos it's a closed course, but people do crash too, and riding aero is not like riding in the drops.
If you put aero bars on a drop bar, get someone to help you set it up right, as there is more to it than bolting a set of bars on.
I ran tubulars at 160psi at Cairns last year and loved them. Lots of chat on Transitions about that, but the gist is, a tub is quicker to change than a clincher if you flat. I will be getting tubulars for my P3 when I set it up fully. Pro-lite disc on the back, HED 3 on the front.
Then you have to get on the trainer every day and ride in the aero position for at least an hour, then get out on the road on the weekend and ride race distance. 90km is not too far to train on a regular basis. It's not a long ride until it's at least 100km.
Kettle-bell swings to strengthen your lower back too.
You have officially become your parents.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 am

I have sourced the zipp 404 Clinchers so I will have them in November. I should have a set of aero bars within a week or 2. I will ask around to try and get a TT helmet. I don't have trainer but I do have a adjustable spin bike with tri bar set up so I could use this on my rest days to spend and hour spinning on the TT bars.

I am pretty flexible. Right now I can ride with my elbows on the top bar of my road bike for at least 10 km while still producing decent power.

What do you think of the training plan? Do you think I need to change anything in there?

After completing the LT test in the Time Crunched Cyclist, my LT HR is 176. So when I do my TT efforts they are usually any between 160 and 176.

Thanks again for all your advise.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:00 am

Hanibal wrote:Now to my questions:
Any tips on improving my training?
Should I Invest in some TT bars or Aero now seeing that there is only 9 weeks to get used to them.
I currently run some Durace c35 clinchers. I can get my hands on some ZIPP 404 CLINCHERS. Should I borrow them for the race?
Any advice from anyone who may have ridden this course.
Coppins Crossing is only part that's hilly, rest is mostly gently rolling / flattish low gradient terrain. Just be sure brakes are working as sometimes Coppins can have a bit of gravel at bottom of hill. Not sure what they are going to do around the Cotter Road area near Streeton Dr as that's all road works at the moment and unsuitable for cyclists - there might be a change in route if that's not all done by then.

Training looks OK but I would look for ways to increase workload over the time period.

Suggest making Saturday a hard tempo ride (just a bit under threshold/TT). Sunday leave as endurance, but make sure endurance is a solid pace, not dawdling.

Yes to the aero stuff, earlier the better, gives a chance to adapt as well as adjust set up to gain extra speed. Depending on the change in aero, you might gain 4-5 seconds per km.

Good luck and have fun.

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Hanibal, I have done the bike leg of the Port Macquarie Half IronMan event 5 or 6 times over recent years. I consider myself a reasonable cyclist, but I'm no triathlete. I don't have a tri-bike (or even aero bars) but I've finished the 90kms in under 3 hours each time. Your training schedule looks similar to mine - I just made sure I completed a few 90 or 100km rides in the weeks leading up to the event.

The best advice I can give you is just enjoy the event. The first time I competed in a team, I stressed about letting my team mates down. I couldn't sleep the night before the event, and I was pretty lethargic on raceday. Just make sure you prepare as well as you can, make sure your equipment is in good order....and try to relax.

A few other things to remember:
- the adrenaline released by being in amongst 1000 other athletes is worth an extra 2 kms an hour!
- enjoy the fact that cyclists own the road for half a day, and you don't have to constantly watch out for traffic
- there is always someone ahead of you to catch, or someone passing you to keep up with (without drafting, of course)
- there is always plenty of chat and encouragement from other competitors and spectators
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Coppins Crossing is only part that's hilly, rest is mostly gently rolling / flattish low gradient terrain. Just be sure brakes are working as sometimes Coppins can have a bit of gravel at bottom of hill. Not sure what they are going to do around the Cotter Road area near Streeton Dr as that's all road works at the moment and unsuitable for cyclists - there might be a change in route if that's not all done by then.

Training looks OK but I would look for ways to increase workload over the time period.

Suggest making Saturday a hard tempo ride (just a bit under threshold/TT). Sunday leave as endurance, but make sure endurance is a solid pace, not dawdling.

Yes to the aero stuff, earlier the better, gives a chance to adapt as well as adjust set up to gain extra speed. Depending on the change in aero, you might gain 4-5 seconds per km.

Good luck and have fun.
Thats great news about the type of course. This is exactly the sought of riding I do around Penrith. I will be either riding or driving the course the day before the event to try and get a feel for it.

Point taken on the training. I will ride the Saturday between 160-170 bpm. My sunday ride will be kept under 155 bpm. I will also try and get on the spin bike at night on my rest days getting used being in an aero position.

Thanks for the advise Alex :D

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Sweeper59 wrote:Hanibal, I have done the bike leg of the Port Macquarie Half IronMan event 5 or 6 times over recent years. I consider myself a reasonable cyclist, but I'm no triathlete. I don't have a tri-bike (or even aero bars) but I've finished the 90kms in under 3 hours each time. Your training schedule looks similar to mine - I just made sure I completed a few 90 or 100km rides in the weeks leading up to the event.

The best advice I can give you is just enjoy the event. The first time I competed in a team, I stressed about letting my team mates down. I couldn't sleep the night before the event, and I was pretty lethargic on raceday. Just make sure you prepare as well as you can, make sure your equipment is in good order....and try to relax.

A few other things to remember:
- the adrenaline released by being in amongst 1000 other athletes is worth an extra 2 kms an hour!
- enjoy the fact that cyclists own the road for half a day, and you don't have to constantly watch out for traffic
- there is always someone ahead of you to catch, or someone passing you to keep up with (without drafting, of course)
- there is always plenty of chat and encouragement from other competitors and spectators
I have already been advised by my team mates to calm it down a bit. But its hard because I want to do well. wow you sound like me as I definatley don't want to let my team down either but my first priority is the take in the experience and ejoy myself.

I currently try and do at least 1 80-90 km ride each week anyway so no problems there.

Those pointers are great. I haven't stopped to think about this aspect of the event.

Too tell you the truth, I would be very happy to get under 3 hours, but I like to set myself a high goal too help me push myself that little bit further.

Cheers again for the advise.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Wow, I didn't know there was a half here. I had to look up where the swim and it is in lake burley griffin.

Yuck.

Anyway if anyone knows of anyone that needs a rider I am happy to volunteer.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

ro.

Postby ro. » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:43 am

Sub 2:30 is very possible, the course isn't actually 90km. Since you are a relay you don't have to save your legs either for the run.

My strategy last year was a maintain a good tempo on the flats/false flats. Then power up the small climbs, peddle through the top to get up to max speed, then recover on the way down. Its not a technical course, you should be aero almost all the way. I'd work on your ability to smash little hills (2 -3 mins).

I'd look at getting as aero as possible, at minimum get yourself some bars, and alter your bike setup as much as you can. Its fine to sacrifice some handling for this course.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks Ro. I was starting to think that I had bitten off more than I could chew.

I enjoy sprinting up the small hills. As per my original post, my Tuesday hill repeats consist of 6x 500m (AT) 8-9% gradient. Hopefully this will keep me in good stead for the short sharp hills.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:22 pm

skull wrote:Wow, I didn't know there was a half here. I had to look up where the swim and it is in lake burley griffin.

Yuck.

Anyway if anyone knows of anyone that needs a rider I am happy to volunteer.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2
I'm certainly glad that I'm not doing the swim leg.

If I hear of anyone needing a rider, I will let you know.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Does anybody know how much elevation there is in this 30km course?

I am trying to match my training rides to include a similar amount of elevation.

Cheers.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 am

OK

I mapped it out in Google earth and I get an elevation gain of 415 m x 3 = 1245 m of Elevation

I did a google search and found it already mapped out in 'Map my Ride' with a total elevation of 503 m.

I also did a search on Strava and found the HIM course that another member had ridden. The elevation gain was 323 m for 1 lap. That's a total of 969 m.

Can anyone confirm any of these figures?

ro.

Postby ro. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Here's my bike leg from last year. http://app.strava.com/activities/7086954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like 1100m is about right.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Cheers Ro,

I think I'll add a few extra hill repeats to my training.

Great time btw. I would love to get under 2:30.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:28 am

FYI.

I have just heard that there is a course change. Instead if the usual 3 lap course which includes hoppins crossing, it has been changed to a 5 lap course around lake burley griffin. Apparently flat to undulating course.

I'm a little disappointed. I was really looking forward to the original course. I will post the course when I get around to mapping it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:37 am

Hanibal wrote:FYI.

I have just heard that there is a course change. Instead if the usual 3 lap course which includes hoppins crossing, it has been changed to a 5 lap course around lake burley griffin. Apparently flat to undulating course.

I'm a little disappointed. I was really looking forward to the original course. I will post the course when I get around to mapping it.
I am not surprised.
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Not sure what they are going to do around the Cotter Road area near Streeton Dr as that's all road works at the moment and unsuitable for cyclists - there might be a change in route if that's not all done by then.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 am

You did call it Alex.

Do you think I should cut the hill repeats out of my training and just concentrate on flat to rolling hills?

ro.

Postby ro. » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:08 pm

A shame it was changed, the coppins course makes it more of a challenge, and breaks the firld up a lot more.

We did the same course in 2010, when it was a duathlon

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/59427724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The elevation gain is less than half, and makes it a lot easier and faster flowing. Probably get more incidental draft effect too, since after the first lap you'll have almost a constant stream of people.

Still, its a good fun course, theres only a couple of short pinches, which I think are best just attacked hard, since you can recover on the roll down the other side.

If I compare my rides between the two courses, from 2010 -> 2011, i would say I was stronger/fitter in 2011, and more aero, since I upgraded from a road bike with clipons, to a TT bike. 2010 was still faster.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for the advise.

I will be heading down to canberra on Saturday morning before the Canberra HIM. Will I be able to ride the course to get a feel for it or is it closed off?

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Hello All,

Just want to say a big thank you to all who provided advise on this event. I don't think I would have gotten near that time without it.

My Goal was 2:30:00
I completed the bike leg in 2:29:34 I think this was the time I got off the bike and completed the transition to my runner. My moving time was 2:28:01.

I am happy with my time but a little disappointed in my performance. I totally disregarded my race plan of going out easy and ramping up at each lap. I felt good for the first 3 laps. Then on the fourth lap, the wind really picked up and made me push harder. By the start of the fifth lap, I felt good. Then the pain began. It started in the left thigh. Then the right calf, the the right thigh. I even thought about getting off the bike as the pain became unbearable. I couldn't stretch my legs as they would begin to cramp. I limped home on the last lap at 31 km/hr. I don't know whether its because I went too hard on the first lap, not enough training or maybe my diet/hydration.

Anyway I got off the bike and could barely walk to the transition area to hand off to my runner.

Regardless, it was an incredible experience, and one that I may do again.

Here is the Garmin file in case anybody is interested.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/252058497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;