Strava vs TrainingPeaks

The foundations for successful riding

Strava vs TrainingPeaks

Postby anth73 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 pm

I've been using TrainingPeaks for a year or so to track my training, form and fatigue. I like the PMC and customisable heart rate zones, which were the main selling points that curtailed my premium strava account.

I now see strava has also introduced similar features to TrainingPeaks and wonder if anyone has compared the two? I heard TrainingPeaks is more suited to triathletes and favours longer steady state efforts in calculating TSS loads compared to punchier road racing / training efforts.

Has anyone used them concurrently to compare how each tracks your training loads and form?
Facebook: Banyule Cycling Club
Twitter: @BanyuleCC
anth73

by BNA » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm

BNA

Re: Strava vs TrainingPeaks

Postby vander » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm

I use Golden Cheater and I find it quite good, strava is OK still needs more work however.
vander

Postby thearthurdog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:37 am

^^ agree. I wouldn't pay good money for WKO+ etc given what Golden Cheetah can do (especially latest version just released). I think Strava premium is a waste of money personally.
Cervelo s5
Giant Trinity Composite 1
http://www.crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au
thearthurdog

Postby Puffy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 am

Since the coach uses WKO+, so do I. Since using WKO+ I haven't looked at my Strava Premium beyond KOMs! WKO+ needs some refining, but the TSS/TSB is brilliant IMHO. I've read the power training book by the TP guy that came up with TSS and at no point did I get the impression it was biassed towards steady state rides. In fact they spend a lot of time talking about the short power intervals 1sec, 5sec etc. At the end of the day, TP invented TSS.
Puffy

Postby randyrob » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Hey Guys,

I got a powermeter back in March, started using TP but found it a bit fiddly to get my data up and Analyze it.

This is what the Strava Fitness & Freshness looks like

Seems to give you enough info for a quick eyeball, but i'm not sure if there is a better guide on how to use it?

Cheers Rob.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!
randyrob

Postby march83 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Strava doesn't let you set your ftp by date so its version of the performance manager is useless. It has next to no metrics, it doesn't handle seasons at all and trawling through your activity list to find a particular ride is slow and awkward

Strava does a great job to let you race segments and see what your friends are doing but as a training management too Golden Cheetah gets my vote by far.
march83

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:27 am

+ 1 for Golden Cheetah :D
nailsaslegs

Postby nickobec » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:+ 1 for Golden Cheetah

+2
nickobec

Postby Crawf » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:40 pm

march83 wrote:Strava doesn't let you set your ftp by date so its version of the performance manager is useless. It has next to no metrics, it doesn't handle seasons at all and trawling through your activity list to find a particular ride is slow and awkward

Yep, I'd like to kull all the damn sites used to log various efforts down to Strava, but this is still the deal breaker.
Crawf

Return to Training