Working toward 50K ride.

2wheels_mond

Re: Working toward 50K ride.

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Paul B wrote:Thanks and yea, I have been considering the RBWR and would like to join up with that group for a ride at some stage. Will keep my preparation going for a while longer.
^^ Pretty much everything Dave said.

The longer you leave it, the longer you'll think to yourself 'gee, that was easier than I thought'. I went for my first group ride only two weeks ago and kinda kicked myself for not trying it sooner, and I'd say back then my fitness level was more or less the same as yours. You'd be surprised at how much a bit of confidence can carry you.

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:The longer you leave it, the longer you'll think to yourself 'gee, that was easier than I thought'. I went for my first group ride only two weeks ago and kinda kicked myself for not trying it sooner, and I'd say back then my fitness level was more or less the same as yours. You'd be surprised at how much a bit of confidence can carry you.
Yep. This.

From reading through this thread I'd say you're ready to give a much longer ride a go. As long as you sit on a comfortable average speed you will be right. You might want to try and ride the same speed you would on a shorter ride, but that's not going to work out well.

Also, in terms of general cycling fitness, I'm a fan of working on your base before trying to increase your overall power (as some others have suggested).
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Paul B wrote:Thanks and yea, I have been considering the RBWR and would like to join up with that group for a ride at some stage. Will keep my preparation going for a while longer.
To give you an idea:

http://www.strava.com/activities/79869484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - That was today's Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride.

http://www.strava.com/activities/77027114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - That was the Dome Saturday ride from August 24 (except for the first and last ~9km)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:52 pm

joshnh wrote: From reading through this thread I'd say you're ready to give a much longer ride a go. As long as you sit on a comfortable average speed you will be right. You might want to try and ride the same speed you would on a shorter ride, but that's not going to work out well.

Also, in terms of general cycling fitness, I'm a fan of working on your base before trying to increase your overall power (as some others have suggested).
Yes agree with that. Given that my shorter rides are ridden at the best pace I can manage, I can't see how I could keep that rate for a sustained period. And yes, base is what I am working on at the moment.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:55 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:
To give you an idea:

http://www.strava.com/activities/79869484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - That was today's Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride.

http://www.strava.com/activities/77027114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - That was the Dome Saturday ride from August 24 (except for the first and last ~9km)
Great... at age 55 and just starting out i'm not sure I have those climbs in me. Maybe down the track, but I think it is going to take quite a bit of time on the bike before I can tackle those elevations. I'll just keep plugging away.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Although, having said that, maybe I am reading it wrong. This is the strava data from a segment I rode yesterday. Nothing to get excited about but gives a clue as to where I am at.

http://www.strava.com/activities/79377662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Paul B on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Paul B wrote:Although, having said that, maybe I am reading it wrong. This is the strava data from a segment I rode yesterday. Nothing to get excited about but gives a clue as to where I am at.

http://www.strava.com/activities/79633550#1615315539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you were to ride that loop four times over the distance and elevation would match that of the Richmond Bakery ride almost perfectly. Also, riding in a bunch will reduce your energy output by roughly 25% if travelling at the same speed.

Focus Mares AX 2.0

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 pm

joshnh wrote:
Paul B wrote:Although, having said that, maybe I am reading it wrong. This is the strava data from a segment I rode yesterday. Nothing to get excited about but gives a clue as to where I am at.

http://www.strava.com/activities/79633550#1615315539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you were to ride that loop four times over the distance and elevation would match that of the Richmond Bakery ride almost perfectly. Also, riding in a bunch will reduce your energy output by roughly 25% if travelling at the same speed.
I replaced that reference with the one from the previous day. I think my hrm went a little crazy as the figures are not consistent with the normal readings I get. This is from the day before.
http://www.strava.com/activities/79377662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though now that I remember... I got a flat and then created an issue with my rd and took 50 mins to get back on the road. How bloody embarrassing. My first flat.
Last edited by Paul B on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:43 pm

If you can solo 27kph average, you really just have to start bunch riding. It is slightly different, because there is serious punishment for failure to keep up, but if you do keep up, you are rewarded with a much much much easier ride. It doesn't feel easier, but your speedo tells another story. I find the two biggest tricks are riding a bigger gear when hiding in the bunch, and do not get hung out to dry - you will cope better if you aren't trying to stay on the front for an overly long time - I can do a 5km turn, but I'm pretty dead after that. Your mind will send signals to hurry up, which drains you a lot, but you just can't get the same experience running solo. You'll build the fitness to cope with the changes in pace.

Checked your Strava - go bunch riding, you big girl. :lol: You'll smash it. It will smash you, I'm sure, but Rule 10 - it doesn't get easier, you just go faster.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Paul B wrote:Though now that I remember... I got a flat and then created an issue with my rd and took 50 mins to get back on the road. How bloody embarrassing. My first flat.
While the elevation data seems to go a bit crazy around that Quarry road section, if you can do that a few times over you'll be fine with most rides. I'd still recommend just practicing some of Hobart's smaller climbs though, my two little local favourites are Bonnet Hill (either side) and going along Churchill Avenue (again, either direction).

I'd recommend watching this video to get a brief idea on some climbing technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zam74qlzGtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd still advise if you want to get that distance of 50km, just ride 25km away and ride back. If you do a loop, it's very tempting to give up as soon as you see your driveway again.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Great ... thanks. I think I am on track. The 50Ks will be easy enough, there are however, lots of challenges ahead :-) Good video... 19kms to the top (ouch).

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Actually... This is probably a good ride to gauge where I am at. Longer distance so I have not gone out quite as hard.
http://www.strava.com/activities/78799026#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Paul B wrote:Actually... This is probably a good ride to gauge where I am at. Longer distance so I have not gone out quite as hard.
http://www.strava.com/activities/78799026#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You'll be fine. Less worrying, more doing.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Mission accomplished. Went for a ride from Dodges Ferry to Primrose Sands and back with a new cycling buddy. Was under my usual pace and after stopping at his place for coffee, having done 36Ks, I figured I could just add my 15 K loop onto it. So I did. Happy to have achieved the distance goal but ultimately I would like to do the 50Ks at my usual avg speed of around 30kmh.
Anyhow, it looks like I have found a riding partner for regular 36K + rides. Pretty happy about that.

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Paul B wrote:Mission accomplished. Went for a ride from Dodges Ferry to Primrose Sands and back with a new cycling buddy. Was under my usual pace and after stopping at his place for coffee, having done 36Ks, I figured I could just add my 15 K loop onto it. So I did. Happy to have achieved the distance goal but ultimately I would like to do the 50Ks at my usual avg speed of around 30kmh.
Anyhow, it looks like I have found a riding partner for regular 36K + rides. Pretty happy about that.
Nice work, Paul! Speed will come with time.

Focus Mares AX 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Well done Paul.
Onwards and upwards now :-)

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:58 pm

50 km/h at 30 kph + will be quite difficult as a solo effort you'll probably find, obviously depending on hills/wind/stoppages/etc. Don't want to sound discouraging or negative, certainly possible, big goal to have though, good luck!

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:00 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:50 km/h at 30 kph + will be quite difficult as a solo effort you'll probably find, obviously depending on hills/wind/stoppages/etc. Don't want to sound discouraging or negative, certainly possible, big goal to have though, good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Difficult ? Just the sort of motivation I thrive on :P

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Another 50 K ride today... with Master 6 and Andrew... Feeling smashed I have to say, but satisfied knowing I have now done two 50k rides in the last 6 days !!

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Paul B wrote:Another 50 K ride today... with Master 6 and Andrew... Feeling smashed I have to say, but satisfied knowing I have now done two 50k rides in the last 6 days !!
Well done, bet it turned out a bit easier than you thought too! I had a similar issue with Mt Wellington, worried my gears wouldn't go low enough, worried I didn't have the endurance, then found out one of my mates who was fairly new to cycling had done it yesterday, so I should get my skates on and give it a go. Turns out it was hard, but achievable - it was only my mind that had held me back for so long.

You'll be amazed what you can achieve when you stop worrying and just give it a go. I dare say you've already found that out for yourself.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:59 pm

yea true enough. Just back from my third 50k ride in 8 days and looks like I have a couple a week booked in as part of the routine. Next goal, as I said, is 30kmh average over the 50. Maybe not the primrose 50K... it has some brutal climbs.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Easiest way to average 30kph over 50k's is to do a 70k ride where the first 20k's is mostly up hill (do not turn your Garmin on). Stop for a breakfast of scrambled eggs and coffee. Then jump back on the bike (don't forget you turn your Garmin on now) for a long decent at speed that levels out to finish with mostly a flat ride.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 pm

briztoon wrote:Easiest way to average 30kph over 50k's is to do a 70k ride where the first 20k's is mostly up hill (do not turn your Garmin on). Stop for a breakfast of scrambled eggs and coffee. Then jump back on the bike (don't forget you turn your Garmin on now) for a long decent at speed that levels out to finish with mostly a flat ride.
Thats cheating :shock: I reckon I will just plan a route that is mostly flat. My average over 50ks on the hilly Primrose ride is 25ks. I reckon even that could be brought up to 30ks by mid summer.

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Paul B wrote:yea true enough. Just back from my third 50k ride in 8 days and looks like I have a couple a week booked in as part of the routine. Next goal, as I said, is 30kmh average over the 50. Maybe not the primrose 50K... it has some brutal climbs.
Mind if I make a suggestion? Rather than focusing on your average speed, focus on the distance ridden. My guess is you will enjoy your riding more if you aren't so focused on keeping your average high. Also, your cycling fitness will improve with longer rides. Time does become more of an issue though.

Focus Mares AX 2.0

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm

joshnh wrote:
Paul B wrote:yea true enough. Just back from my third 50k ride in 8 days and looks like I have a couple a week booked in as part of the routine. Next goal, as I said, is 30kmh average over the 50. Maybe not the primrose 50K... it has some brutal climbs.
Mind if I make a suggestion? Rather than focusing on your average speed, focus on the distance ridden. My guess is you will enjoy your riding more if you aren't so focused on keeping your average high. Also, your cycling fitness will improve with longer rides. Time does become more of an issue though.
Pretty much agree. I focus on enjoying my ride and taking in the scenery and not getting killed by motorists when there is traffic around. I much rather enjoy a longer ride, rather than trying to smash 50km. Also I have so many variable times for the exact same ride. Depends if I'm riding with some one, or by myself, and what the winds are like. Some times a couple of our rides will involve riding 40km in to a smashing head wind, on the way home. Ruins any hope of a good time.