Intervals - short to long, or long to short...??

The foundations for successful riding

Intervals - short to long, or long to short...??

Postby Abby » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi all,

Just prepping a very basic program for myself for the enxt few months, based around targeting some criteriums later in the year... After doing nothing all July, I'm using August to just get a consistent habit and rebuild a bit of base, before hitting some more structured stuff in September.

Obviuosly, I'm planning on throwing in some interval work in the coming months. Three basic types - short 10sec sprints, some 5min-ish (1-2 laps of the crit circuit) efforts, and longer 10-20min efforts.

So here is my question. Is it better to start with the longer efforts, then in later weeks add the shorter offorts, then later weeks again add the sharp 10sec sprints? Or is it better to progress the other way - the sprints, then the medium 1-2 lap efforts, then the longer 10-20min efforts...?? Or do you just do them all at the same time (not literally! I mean during the same few weeks, but on different days)...??

Hope the question makes sense! Would appreciate any thoughts...

Cheers,
Abby
Abby

by BNA » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 pm

BNA

Re: Intervals - short to long, or long to short...??

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Abby wrote:Hi all,

Just prepping a very basic program for myself for the enxt few months, based around targeting some criteriums later in the year... After doing nothing all July, I'm using August to just get a consistent habit and rebuild a bit of base, before hitting some more structured stuff in September.

Obviuosly, I'm planning on throwing in some interval work in the coming months. Three basic types - short 10sec sprints, some 5min-ish (1-2 laps of the crit circuit) efforts, and longer 10-20min efforts.

So here is my question. Is it better to start with the longer efforts, then in later weeks add the shorter offorts, then later weeks again add the sharp 10sec sprints? Or is it better to progress the other way - the sprints, then the medium 1-2 lap efforts, then the longer 10-20min efforts...?? Or do you just do them all at the same time (not literally! I mean during the same few weeks, but on different days)...??

Hope the question makes sense! Would appreciate any thoughts...

Cheers,
Abby

I would probably go short to long. Do your general riding around and get yourself some basic fitness first. Then add in some short sprint efforts. As you get fitter, you can extend the efforts.
Derny Driver

Re: Intervals - short to long, or long to short...??

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:10 pm

For me... 10 sec sprint work you can do all year round, keep them short and the recovery is quick, I feel them a bit afterwards when I haven't been doing them for a while. But normally I can throw them in on an easy ride without suffering the next day.
Build with sweet spot training SST (45-90 min per ride ), closer to goals (couple of months out ) switch to 20 min FTP type intervals, 4-6 weeks out start ramping up the 5 minute intervals ( basically though I just start racing more as well ).
I like to do 5 minute intervals all year round, basically Cat 4 climbs hard... just do them a lot more often when the form starts coming on. VO2 efforts ( 5 min) brings on the peak form quickest hence doing the bulk of them closer to the events.
toolonglegs

Return to Training