Interval Training - push or shorten

The foundations for successful riding

Interval Training - push or shorten

Postby sparco » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:13 pm

I have been looking at some sort of interval training/exercise as recommended on the other thread that I started:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=67691

Search on this forum and other sites suggest doing 4x 40/20 sec intervals (40 at max rpe, 20 at 3-5 rpe). I tried it but could only manage to do the first 3 sets at recommended intensities and did the last (was already puffed) set just to finish it.

Is it alright to continue pushing myself to complete the 4 sets even if the last set seems to be below the recommended intensity, or should I just do 3 sets and ramp it upto 4 when I am capable of doing it?

Thanks.
sparco

by BNA » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:55 pm

BNA

Re: Interval Training - push or shorten

Postby ft_critical » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Intervals are used to improve. What are you trying to improve?

Whatever that is (40sec, 5min power or V02Max) you need a test first.
Let's say it is improving your V02Max as measured by your average speed across 4sets of 4 reps of 40s/20s. Warm up, include some sprint efforts, maybe some (5 or 10) 15s15s. All out 40s. Leave nothing. Warm down.
I assume you don't have a power meter (don't bother with an HRM.) Ideally you have an indoor trainer or at least a consistent place to execute your intervals and do your test. On the trainer you need to record all the settings (tyre pressure, tension on the wheel etc.)
Take say 90% of the speed of your test 40sec. Try to do all your intervals at or slightly above that level. Increase the % as you get better.

My personal opinion is that you need to complete all sets and intervals consistently above your target. I also believe that you need to finish your sets feeling like you could have done more. It is very easy to be defeated by the difficulty of the 40x20's they are really hard.

Again, all you are seeking is improvement.

Retest every month or so.
ft_critical

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Reading the other thread... I think like you say, you are already on the limit of your fitness and putting your leg down maybe causing you to cramp up.
I would be concentrating mainly on getting your "FTP" raised more than short sharp intervals.
Not saying don't do the shorter intervals but I would be concentrating on "SST" ... sweet spot training.
Bit of googling for you ;-) .
If you are a newbie you will see gains with just about any type of riding, have fun... But have lots of fun, preferably 4 to 6 times a week... Some hard, some not. Get stuck into intervals when you have built up the engine more.
toolonglegs

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:50 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Reading the other thread... I think like you say, you are already on the limit of your fitness and putting your leg down maybe causing you to cramp up.
I would be concentrating mainly on getting your "FTP" raised more than short sharp intervals.
Not saying don't do the shorter intervals but I would be concentrating on "SST" ... sweet spot training.
Bit of googling for you ;-) .
If you are a newbie you will see gains with just about any type of riding, have fun... But have lots of fun, preferably 4 to 6 times a week... Some hard, some not. Get stuck into intervals when you have built up the engine more.

+1
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Return to Training