Getting Smashed

TREKKER_MIKE

Getting Smashed

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Hey Guys,

Started Bunch rides at Homebush, and i am getting smashed in the slowest group.

its depressing, but not off putting, in fact it makes me hungry to train harder to get in the group and get fitness.

Here is the thing, i can sit at my own pace, and ride for a few hours no problems, but try and go at a higher speed / cadence, and i die in the Arm.

Any suggestions on training techniques that might help me get some speed rather than cardio endurance

Hope that makes sense

Mike
Professional rear gunner for "E" grade crit's

ft_critical

Re: Getting Smashed

Postby ft_critical » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Mike.

Getting smashed is part of cycling. The better you get, the better the guys who smash you are. Which is kind of rewarding in a sadistic way.

Advice. Keep going back. Don't worry that you are doing something wrong - technique or anything. Aim to last a lap longer, or some such measure, each week. You will surprise yourself how quickly you improve. The bunch will teach you all the technique you need.
As best as you can, don't hang around at the back, in the concertina (even though you probably think this is where you belong,) it is easier in the middle.

Well done for getting involved.
Last edited by ft_critical on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Interval training. Try some spin classes in the short term - I find they work *really* well. x2 during the week, Tuesdays and Thursdays when my main ride is Sunday. If your main ride is Saturday, make them Monday and Wednesday. Take an easy endurance ride on your bike in between, say two hours duration on a flat course.

I used to do two classes back-to-back on each "on" night, but unfortunately my gym changed the schedule and my works hours changed as well so I can no longer do that.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:14 pm

I've started towing my kids around on a tag-a-long tandem using my singlespeed. I'm now killing it on the roadie. When riding by yourself, your muscles adapt to what you do and you don't improve beyond a certain point.

If you don't have any kids, get an old beater steel roadie and punish yourself on that.

vander

Postby vander » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:41 am

Keep going back Mike. I started in the exact same bunches. 2 years ago I got dropped by the Wednesday recovery group bunch. I made a rule, as soon as I can finish a bunch rolling turns I move to the next group. This way I didnt stagnate and kept pushing myself. I did these groups often. Now I roll turns in group 1 and am never really in threat of getting dropped.

EDIT: BTW losing weight helps for these group rides also.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:18 am

Repeating the bunch ride and getting farther along each time is one way, otherwise, get into some interval training, as stated. You need to build your capacity to chase on, or surge with the echelon, which is what intervals will improve.

Keep at it mate.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:09 pm

Don't worry, i will definatley keep at it !!! I went again today, i think in the pack i am ok, but when the group accelerates off from a red light or up hills thats where i end, i dont have the acceleration/power yet to hold on, but i can ride with them on flats no problems.

I want to stay at the back as i guess i am worried i will die and cause a major stack, but you are right, being in the middle is most probably easier. I was doing spinerval's DVD's for a while there as i couldnt get out (my wife was really sick in hospital and i have the 2 babies to take care of), i might incorporate one a week now i am back doing outdoor training. I think my weight is the biggest thing holding me back, more training and proper diet will fix that. (already on the proper diet)

Thanks for your comments !!! i am enjoying riding with groups, meeting new people who like cycling.

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Good attitude Mike!

I started riding with a group back in April when I got a road bike (after 5 years off), I was regularly struggling to stay with even the slow bunch... Now 6 months later I am putting the fast bunch in the hurt locker on occasion. Riding with those that are faster will hurt, but hell it will make you faster!!!
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 pm

I will add "don't stress". Firstly, if you can't trust the bunch to use their brakes with you in the bunch, you should stop riding with them, because there are far worse things that you have to worry about. You should be fine with those bunches!

I think you really have to just "chip away". If you get dropped after 6 laps, try and last 6.5 laps. Go as often as you can. If you manage to survive, go up a group and get dropped. When you go back to the slower group, you'll cope better and will get stronger.

Something I advocate is taken from bodybuilding - go to "failure". Knowingly embrace getting dropped. Give it absolutely everything, and accept the result. Cadel Evans would get dropped in your local ride if he turned up and sprinted half the laps. Everyone runs out of steam; better riders apply themselves carefully. I often blow up doing the M7 rides I do, because I am hitting 100% with stronger riders. That's OK. Your body responds really well to getting dropped, even if your ego doesn't. You are getting the best workout in the whole group if you are getting dropped. That means you are getting faster more than everyone else. Hopefully that's an encouragement. Plenty of dudes with big guts get around OK on a bike. Just keep riding.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Xplora is right, as usual. I spent far too long not giving it everything.

Now I'm giving it the lot. It hurts sometimes and tonight I did go near failure - but eased back a bit to get home. But that's alright - the bits I wanted to attack, I did.
Xplora wrote:I often blow up doing the M7 rides I do, because I am hitting 100% with stronger riders. That's OK
The M7 is like a time-trial - you have to ride with your head, save your energy in certain places and hammer away in others and keep that average speed up.

autumn acid

Postby autumn acid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Mike,

I believe I may recognise who you are from Tuesday and Thursday SOP training rides.

Firstly, a preface - I started riding October last year to work on a MTB, bought a road bike in Feb and started racing now (C/D grade).

I'm at 171 cm, weighed 95 kilos and smoked 3/4's a pack a day.

I now weigh 79 and stopped smoking some 3 months ago.

My progress has been very quick, but required discipline and commitment. Cycling is fun, but keeping up and pushing hard is rewarding in it's own right!

Those Tuesday and Thursday training rides ARE hard if you haven't ridden them before. There are folk in group 5 and 6 who have been riding for years. Some are new, but most are comfortable at that pace for their fitness level/level of riding.

Some suggestions that helped me through:

- Long solo rides on bike tracks like the m7 and Cooks River.
- Laps at Centennial Park

THEN I went out to SOP - not on a Tuesday, but a Wednesday. Wednesday is the leisurely ride. The pace is much slower. It's a group ride without the pace line, and hardly ever does anyone take a turn. I did this for a month or so before moving to training rides and by this time my fitness was at a level from which I could hold on.

Humility is a good thing. Ride around the kiddy section of Sydney Park if you like, but the important thing is to ride, ride ride. Is it hot? Ride. Is ithe road wet? Ride Is it cold as !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!? Ride.

Further, weight is an issue for acceleration. Weight and momentum are a great thing, but not so much up hills or from a standing start. Combined with good diet, riding will get your weight down :)

TREKKER_MIKE

Postby TREKKER_MIKE » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks Mate,

I do prefer the wednesday ride for sure, but i started a crit race yesterday, thats a great motivator !!

looking forward to more training, and keeping an eye on the weight is a number one priority. trim the weight down, and ride the bike all the time, results will happen, regardless of the program

donncha

Postby donncha » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm

One thing I'd add Mike is to do a regular ride where you're forced to ride at someone else's pace. Either a crit if you enjoy them, or a solid group training ride.

That was the biggest difference I found when I joined a club after riding on my own for years. I could handle the distance OK, but all the short surges (e.g: group maintains speed over a short rise, whereas I'd normally just slow down on my own) sapped my legs. Took me a month or two to adjust to that style of riding.