Leaness and Power to Weight

nailsaslegs
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby nailsaslegs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 pm

So reading the article on pursuit of leaness, 1kg of weight loss is worth about 6 seconds in a 40km time trial, gathering 3 seconds over 20k, but with a constant uphill gradient of 5% the difference would blow out to 55 seconds. How long 5% climb?

Interesting to note, I've lost 6kgs since Jan 1, losing another 12kgs to go down to low 80's. Everything is easier, climbing, sprinting, and race on Sunday I had a couple more matches to burn. Been working on aero position as well.

But anyone have any more info on what 1kg is worth, time wise on a 5km climb at 5% say?

Thanks

ROb

User avatar
toolonglegs
Posts: 15446
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:43 pm


User avatar
Ross
Posts: 4456
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:19 pm

Isn't there a point where if you lose too much weight then you lose power too?

boss
Posts: 1358
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby boss » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:38 am

Ross wrote:Isn't there a point where if you lose too much weight then you lose power too?


In a word, yep.

nailsaslegs
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:50 am

Go t the gym and build some muscle. Not enough cyclists go to the gym. I've lost my initial power kick, because I don't have the same weight coming over the cranks, so I go to the gym and whats happened is its improved my overall cycling and re built that explosive power.

Thanks continuing reading into it, a good result is to go and do a test myself on a regular climb. Which I did, knocked off 1min 9 secs off a 3km climb at 4.8%

Paul B
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm
Location: Hobart

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby Paul B » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:35 am

nailsaslegs wrote: so I go to the gym and whats happened is its improved my overall cycling and re built that explosive power.


What is your routine in the gym ?

User avatar
Derny Driver
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 am

nailsaslegs wrote:
I've lost 6kgs since Jan 1...

ROb

Gee mate you are wasting away to nothing. Please wear a fat suit to the airport so I can find you in the crowd :D

doggatas
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby doggatas » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:42 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:knocked off 1min 9 secs off a 3km climb at 4.8%


Which climb was that?

nailsaslegs
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Paul B wrote:
What is your routine in the gym ?


All the science is there for Masters athletes especially the benefits of lifting weights is huge Legs, back and shoulders. Squats, Deadmean lift and barbell row.

I don't upload everything to Strava, why would I want people to know what I am doing....

Derny, still aways to go, got a goal in mind, we shall talk more then I see you in a few weeks.

boss
Posts: 1358
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby boss » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:00 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:
Paul B wrote:
What is your routine in the gym ?


All the science is there for Masters athletes especially the benefits of lifting weights is huge Legs, back and shoulders. Squats, Deadmean lift and barbell row.

I don't upload everything to Strava, why would I want people to know what I am doing....

Derny, still aways to go, got a goal in mind, we shall talk more then I see you in a few weeks.


You do see the irony in asking for advice and then getting cagey when someone asks you a question, right?

nailsaslegs
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Just not saying what training I am doing riding wise....don't see how that is irony really.

User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
Posts: 4028
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:44 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:All the science is there

Please, do share all this science.

Paul B
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm
Location: Hobart

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby Paul B » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:Just not saying what training I am doing riding wise....don't see how that is irony really.

Interesting approach... not exactly generous,but nothing wrong with that either. Each to their own of course. However, you know what they say... a rising tide lifts all ships.

ausrandoman
Posts: 681
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Leaness and Power to Weight

Postby ausrandoman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:28 am

nailsaslegs wrote:
All the science is there ...



nailsaslegs wrote:
But anyone have any more info on what 1kg is worth, time wise on a 5km climb at 5% say?


Claims to understand science. Can't do high school calculation of power required on hill.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users