I need a bigger fan

The foundations for successful riding

I need a bigger fan

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:13 am

Rather than do battle with poor visibility and having to strip and clean my bike afterwards due to yesterday's wet and blustery weather I decided to download Blender from Sufferfest and do an extended session on the hydro trainer.

Apart from needing a much bigger fan, I was wondering whay people think about how such a session compares to riding on the road.

Blender goes for an hour forty, and I was glad to get off the bike afterwards, but it didn't feel like a hard double spin class or two hours out around Akuna Bay and West Head. HR average was lower possibly due to heat soak limiting efforts (hence the need for a bigger fan) but I'm not so sure.

What are your thoughts on how the two compare?

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
trailgumby

by BNA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:24 am

BNA

I need a bigger fan

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:24 am

Riding indoors gets the work done quicker ( and smoother )... But yeah you need to cool the body down a lot.
If you are about 22-25% efficient at best then 75% is going up in heat ... If you are producing 250-400 watts at the wheel then that's a lot of heat!.
1h40m on the home trainer is a looong time... Don't know the session you did but if it was supposed to be tough then you obviously didn't push hard enough!.
I can't ride a home trainer, I just find rollers work better for me ... But boy 2 x 10 or 20's ... Or VO2 efforts hurts like a mofo... You can achieve a hell of a lot in an hour!.
Comparing to my group ride today... 3 hours riding... 1/3 of that was either not pedaling or in the recovery zone!.
toolonglegs

Re: I need a bigger fan

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 am

trailgumby wrote:What are your thoughts on how the two compare?

Hard is hard, wherever you do it. If a session wasn't hard, and was meant to be, then ride it harder. It's typical that indoor power feel harder to sustain than outside, but not always.

And yes, if you plan on regular indoor work, invest in high volume air cooling. Keep in mind when cruising outdoors you have a ~30km/h wind passing over your whole body.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:51 am

I'm a big fan - but I mostly blow hot air :D
find_bruce

Postby iaintas » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 pm

I have started doing 3 sufferfest sessions a week and they will leave me completely shattered, almost spewed on the last session, and usually have trouble walking after. I do them as hard as I physically can, Definitely hurts more than a hilly 3 hour ride!
iaintas

Postby SquareWheels » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:38 pm

wooooooooo......Goooooo Trailgumby....woooooooooooooo....

Hows that?
SquareWheels

Postby Hugor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:44 pm

iaintas wrote:I have started doing 3 sufferfest sessions a week and they will leave me completely shattered, almost spewed on the last session, and usually have trouble walking after. I do them as hard as I physically can, Definitely hurts more than a hilly 3 hour ride!

3 sufferfests a week is a massive effort if you do them honestly i.e. with power or virtual power (trainer road).
I'm equally shattered after a session and it takes a few days to recover. Most of them are between 95 - 100% intensity so they're meant to do so.
Hugor

Postby iaintas » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:44 am

Saving for a power meter at the moment to improve my training, working with percieved effort only, but I am pretty good at totally smashing myself, i started with the "hunted" and physically couldn't finish it. Downward spiral was the one that almost made me spew but it was a pre breakfast 0430 session which probably didn't help! I totally love the workouts now I have a fluid trainer rather than the Mag trainer.
iaintas

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:33 pm

SquareWheels wrote:wooooooooo......Goooooo Trailgumby....woooooooooooooo....

Hows that?

That's good. :lol:

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
trailgumby

Return to Training