Spin bikes advice

The foundations for successful riding

Spin bikes advice

Postby lgbran » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:29 am

Returning to the road in a few months after hip surgery.
Using a spin bike at gym and previously had a indoor trainer which was boring at home.
Looking on advice on any good spin bikes and if you can stick your road SPD pedals on them
cheers
lgbran

by BNA » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 am

BNA

Re: Spin bikes advice

Postby brawlo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 am

Having been there and done that for track orientated training, I would recommend sticking to the trainer with a road bike. A spin bike will be no different to the trainer as far as the boredom goes.

Having said that, I bought a high quality ex gym spin bike for less than my trainer cost. Flogged it and it still runs smooth as silk at my mum's place with her and my sister using it 5 years on. For road orientated training, the resistance just isn't the same and you need to manipulate the resistance often to try and mimic road conditions/resistance. A good trainer will do far better and should last forever.

Places like graysonline sell out gym lots of spin bikes and that's where I got mine. The cheaper ones usually have some rust spots from sweat, but that's just cosmetic and easily sorted. Something that retails new for over $1k is where I'd aim at. Mine retailed at $1200 and I got it for $130. It had 2 rust spots and a broken foot strap.
brawlo

Re: Spin bikes advice

Postby lgbran » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:42 pm

thanks brawlo,
getting one for about $450 brand new custom made for a gym that didn't open through Ebay with a supposed retail price of $1700
.Others for the same price ex gym look very schmcick as well but not the same brand. Will go for the newish one. Almost itching to hit the road but will wait
lgbran

Return to Training