Logging indoor rides

The foundations for successful riding

Logging indoor rides

Postby MattyK » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:46 pm

What's a good simple (read cheap) device for recording rides on the trainer? Thinking of something like a computer with cadence so it has a speed sensor in the rear wheel, but it would be nice if it interfaced with say Strava so sessions could be recorded/saved. Maybe a hr monitor too? Has anyone run say the Topeak panobike sensor? Have an iPhone to connect to which is the main on road recorder. But Strava on the phone won't display current speed or cadence from an external device...
MattyK

by BNA » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

BNA

Re: Logging indoor rides

Postby Toolish » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Depends how important interfacing with Strava etc is for you.

Pretty much any cycling computer would give a speed and distance on the trainer http://www.wiggle.com.au/cateye-velo-5-cycle-computer/

Or you could get a garmin Edge 500 simlar which will do the strava thing?

Bit more complicated option but one that would work specifically for a trainer would be get a Garmin GSC-10, ANT+ stick and Perfpro or Trainer Road software to run on the computer.

Depends on budget, longer term plans etc.
Toolish

Postby MattyK » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Not wanting to take it seriously, just for my wife to log some data on her trainer rides. Garmon Eric totally over budget
MattyK

Postby marty_one » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:23 pm

There really isnt much out there that does not require you to spend money to get the information you need. If you want to connect stuff to your iphone the only realistic option is the RFLTK+. The RFLTK+ is the only unit on the market (that I know of, I think there is one other but I dont know its name) that acts like a bridge between ANT+ sensors and bluetooth to the phone, which allows 3rd party apps to pick up the data (IE: Cyclemeter). Again this requires budget.

But staying on the cheap side, just get any cheap bike computer from here http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/shop/acce ... uters/1305 and manually enter in the activity information from strava if its that important to you. I used to just guestimate the distance based on time when I did time on the trainer before I got my garmin.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
My Journey to Triathlon - Focusing more on cycling (no time for anything else).
marty_one

Logging indoor rides

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:56 pm

MattyK wrote:What's a good simple (read cheap) device for recording rides on the trainer? Thinking of something like a computer with cadence so it has a speed sensor in the rear wheel, but it would be nice if it interfaced with say Strava so sessions could be recorded/saved. Maybe a hr monitor too?

Have an iPhone to connect to which is the main on road recorder.

The [url=wahoofitness.com]Wahoo Fitness[/url] app and sensors will do exactly what you're asking for.

You just need to get the right sensors depending on your iPhone.

Prior to iPhone 4S you'll need the Ant+ sensors and dongle, but for 4S and later you'll need the Bluetooth sensors.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby MattyK » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks, iphone 5 so Bluetooth is good, just not sure whether to go the bt sensor like the wahoo or Topeak linked to that or a standalone computer. Already have a quadlock mount too...
MattyK

Postby pacificboy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:00 am

If you are looking for logging indoor only and not any outdoor riding info then go with the bluetooth sensors. (Cheaper and easier to upload to strava)

Standalone computers usually needs you to buy a computer interface unit to upload. (I mean the cheaper computers not including Garmin etc)
pacificboy

Postby MattyK » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:54 am

Cool, BT sensor is leading the pack at the moment. Got some big bills all coinciding this month though, might have to wait a few weeks...
MattyK

Return to Training