FTP testing - any recommended locations in Sydney?

ab012

FTP testing - any recommended locations in Sydney?

Postby ab012 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a good spot for the 20min FTP tests on the road in Sydney?

I can get to eg SOP very easily but chances of not hitting a red light in 20 min is pretty low (especially now that Easter Show road closures are in place). :cry:

Suggestions welcome! (ok trainer is an option but if road is available that would be really great...)

Xplora

Re: FTP testing - any recommended locations in Sydney?

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 am

Richmond Road, out at the Driftways? Straight as an arrow, flat as a dime, good road shoulder for a lot of it... it's almost too boring, I found you really have to focus on pushing because of the lack of variation. Alternatively, there are lots of long stretches near the Turf Farms and Pitt Town in that direction that are quite safe without much cornering, not necessarily lots of hills. Plan the route though, because it's easy to find yourself downhill for a long stretch (Annangrove Road comes to mind). Use Strava to map the times. You won't beat most of them with a solo effort.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:01 am

One of the big outdoor concrete velodromes like Merrylands... I would love something like that around home!. Boring as batshite but you can just put your head down and watch your numbers.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 am

You could use Athlete Lab in Sydney, you'll be on a trainer bike that they call Adjustabike which is rigged up with nearly every sensor you can imagine. - It'll cost you $80 or $90 for the privilege if I remember right. You'll get a nice email back with everything in horrifying detail if that's what you want. They can also do power profile testing if you need that.

http://sydney.athlete-lab.com/membership/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (click on testing)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Quiet time of day you can use Centennial Park. 4 laps and you're done.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Terrey HIlls - Duffy's Forest out-and-back. Not dead flat, a few very short climbs, but no traffic lights.

http://www.strava.com/activities/123085332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternatively, West Head (runs parallel on the other side of Pittwater from Avalon to Palm Beach)

http://www.strava.com/activities/112039509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:17 am

Penrith Regatta Centre might be an option.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Will check them out. Actually, did think of west head but the downhill sections worry me a bit in terms of being disciplined enough to keep the power and not coast - wish we had longer steady hills in sydney :D
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Quiet time of day you can use Centennial Park. 4 laps and you're done.
This is particularly interesting as this is also something I can get to easily (commute pass - but not through - it most days in fact) - what would be (roughly) considered a good quiet time?

thanks everyone!

donncha

Postby donncha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13 pm

For Centennial, quiet time is when everyone else is at work :-)

Weekends are out as there are too many families around. Mornings (pre-work) are usually quite busy with lots of riders around.
Weekday evenings are pretty good, though if you're there on Tue/Thu when the fast group is there, time your interval start time so you don't catch them and they don't catch you.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Coming back to this (almost 1 year wow) thread ;)

Looking at alternatives and so considering locations such as SOP (or e.g. M7 although bit worried about the speed involved) again. But for those locations there are some 90 degree corners (with some at the bottom of slight downhill) which necessitates braking and/or at least free wheel to prevent pedal strike. While not ideal, these places have the benefit of convenience so can easily be done more often...

Hence, any thoughts on the above locations would be welcome!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:20 pm

What about Lidcombe velodrome on a weekday morning?

I believe council workers or the groundskeeper will be there, you should be able to get out on the track. Weekends won't happen, the place is locked up.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm

If you have the legs, a mate recommends the Bellbird Hill climb. Solid 20 minutes right there :)

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:51 pm

g-boaf: Thats a interesting and a very close recommendation. newb question: Are road bikes allowed on there?
Xplora: Little far for me, although TBH one thought I had was to use Bowen starting from bit outside N.Richmond for it! ;)

vander

Postby vander » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:34 pm

ab012 wrote:Coming back to this (almost 1 year wow) thread ;)

Looking at alternatives and so considering locations such as SOP (or e.g. M7 although bit worried about the speed involved) again. But for those locations there are some 90 degree corners (with some at the bottom of slight downhill) which necessitates braking and/or at least free wheel to prevent pedal strike. While not ideal, these places have the benefit of convenience so can easily be done more often...

Hence, any thoughts on the above locations would be welcome!
Centennial park or from helensberg to sublime point (will be probably a whole hour).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:16 pm

ab012 wrote:g-boaf: Thats a interesting and a very close recommendation. newb question: Are road bikes allowed on there?
Xplora: Little far for me, although TBH one thought I had was to use Bowen starting from bit outside N.Richmond for it! ;)

If there is nobody else out there, I can't see any safety problems. Don't brake suddenly and stay above the blue line if going slow. Ask the council people or groundskeeper.

Six13

Postby Six13 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Is it defo open on Tuesday mornings to just turn up and ride? Happened to go past last Sat and it as locked up tight.