Stationary trainer sessions

The foundations for successful riding

Stationary trainer sessions

Postby JAS095 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi I am new to here and want some help with working on some trainer sessions.

What I want to know is what should I be using as my targets HR, cadance or speed ? I have found that if I use HR then it may not be easy to maintain a HR in a range for a set period of time (some times to high some times to low) where speed and cadance are easier to maintain.

But is using one better than the others ?
JAS095

by BNA » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:07 pm

BNA

Re: Stationary trainer sessions

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:07 pm

I'd suggest for indoor work on a regular A-frame bike trainer that you use a combination of wheel speed (as a proxy for power output), in particular for higher intensity efforts, and perhaps HR for the general and lower intensity endurance level work. Cadence isn't so useful, as it will vary with the gear you choose, and remember that it's wheel speed that determines the trainer's resistance/effort required to pedal.

This is how many "virtual power" indoor training programs operate, they use the wheel's speed, along with a formula to convert that to an estimated power output, with the formula applied unique to each type of trainer.

The reliability and repeatability of using wheel speed as a proxy for power will depend on your trainer and how it is set up. Tyre-roller clamp force, tyre pressure, type of tyre, how resistance varies as the unit and tyre heat up etc all impact the consistency of speed - effort (power) relationship.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Return to Training