Help please

mhughe15

Re: Help please

Postby mhughe15 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:34 pm

As you can see it's been a while since I posted. Long story short, 2016 saw me manage to ride fairly consistently most weeks and achieve just short of 8,000km for the calendar year (according to Strava). The weight fluctuated around the 98kg for the most part with the 'poor' diet being my downfall (I am only human and the ice cream, chocolate and cheese cake at the wife's Nan's place is too good to pass up when we visit).

So the plan for 2017 was to have my first go at racing, however, as I am sure everyone/anyone reading can attest, family, work and study commitments often come first and these aspects took over putting the racing plan put on hold until now (July 2017)! So I thought I should get on and update before my first race this week. I bit the bullet and signed up to my closest club and have spoken to some of the guys I ride with (who have various race experience) who have all assured me I will love it (not many people who give it a go don't I have been told.

So here goes nothing, I currently sit at 98kg and am riding fairly solidly compared to when I started just over 2 years ago I have my first race (D grade) this weekend, Saturday 15th July (provided I don't have any last minute issues).

Cheers

Mick

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:15 pm

I've just discovered this thread and read it from the beginning. It is almost a mirror image of my story.

In brief:
* started riding my bike to work each day in July 2015. Weight about 120kg.
* got fitter and started losing weight, bit by bit.
* Oct 2015 rode the Brisbane to Gold Coast ride - but only the 60km shorter version.
* early 2016 - started Saturday morning rides with a local shop ride group. Really started to improve my fitness. (They also do other rides during the week, so did the odd Tuesday Riverloop too.)
* 2016 - rode the 100km Brissie to the Bay and Brisbane to Gold Coast Rides.
* early 2017 - started doing the Tuesday night Mt Coot-tha group ride. First time nearly killed me. I am still slow but have progressed to doing 2 laps now. (I'm never going to be a great hil climber, but Iwill work on it.)
* May 2017 - rode the Great Brisbane Bike Ride. Toughest ride yet at 130km with 1265m climbing.
* 10 June 2017 - did my first ever race! A D-grade criterium. Came second-last!
* In that time I've lost 15kg and three belt holes around the waist. I've had to replace most of my clothes - but that's a good problem to have.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 pm

RobertL wrote:I've just discovered this thread and read it from the beginning. It is almost a mirror image of my story.
Great job mate. Are you having fun? Are you feeling healthier? Have you made new friends? So many benefits hey. Good stuff.
My first race was a criterium. I fidnt even finish it. Nor the next one. Nor the third one. But im a determined bugger just like you. I got there in the end ...probably took 2-3 years of weekly racing. Takes time. But there is no rush. We have years. Enjoy the journey.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:07 am

Derny Driver wrote:
RobertL wrote:I've just discovered this thread and read it from the beginning. It is almost a mirror image of my story.
Great job mate. Are you having fun? Are you feeling healthier? Have you made new friends?
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I just reread my post and was a bit embarrased - it reads like I'm fishing for compliments. I guess I'm just a bit enthusiastic :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Don't be concerned- good work. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:02 am

RobertL wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
Great job mate. Are you having fun? Are you feeling healthier? Have you made new friends?
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I just reread my post and was a bit embarrased - it reads like I'm fishing for compliments. I guess I'm just a bit enthusiastic :)
Nope, it's called encouragement, well done. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Long time no updates, so here goes. It's been an up and down year as I am sure most have experienced along their cycling journey and which I can now well and truly attest to after this winter.

Long story short, I made it to that first race way back in July and loved it! The plan was to continue racing as much as possible, mainly sticking to the flatter courses, however, best laid plans etc etc and the dreaded flu season hit hard the weekend of the Cunningham Classic which a few local mates suggested was worth a go. Needless to say I missed the Cunningham which was a good thing by all reports, with those who went experiencing extremely nasty head winds the whole way.

So the flu went through the family and the social riding group pretty hard putting me out for a good 6 weeks. By the time I had recovered enough to push myself to race again after a few weeks back on the bike the season was over. Oh well, next year it is for the road racing. Crits it is now a few of the guys who took a break from road racing this year have said they are getting itchy feet now they missed the road season. So, I'm in.

In addition to flu I had some issues with bike fit and after some long drawn out negotiations with the minister for finance I have just re-financed the house and purchased some speedplay pedals and Sidi shoes (as the cleats on my others were starting to pull through the sole).

HOWEVER, before we get to the first Crit (only run once a month on Sunday mornings at a local club) the weight has ballooned again to the 101kg mark (damn you caramel slice!). So the tough work started today with the advent of some rainy weather, I set the trainer up and did the short FTP test on Zwift and achieved a calculated FTP of 251w. Ok I think? considering I have not done any structured training as yet. So the plan, drop the caramel slice and start some tough work, I'll sort the weight and get a structured plan up and running and see how I go. Until Christmas that is.... oh and the second little rug rat joins us in March :o

Happy riding!

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Long time no updates, so here goes. It's been an up and down year as I am sure most have experienced along their cycling journey and which I can now well and truly attest to after this winter.

Long story short, I made it to that first race way back in July and loved it! The plan was to continue racing as much as possible, mainly sticking to the flatter courses, however, best laid plans etc etc and the dreaded flu season hit hard the weekend of the Cunningham Classic which a few local mates suggested was worth a go. Needless to say I missed the Cunningham which was a good thing by all reports, with those who went experiencing extremely nasty head winds the whole way.

So the flu went through the family and the social riding group pretty hard putting me out for a good 6 weeks. By the time I had recovered enough to push myself to race again after a few weeks back on the bike the season was over. Oh well, next year it is for the road racing. Crits it is now a few of the guys who took a break from road racing this year have said they are getting itchy feet now they missed the road season. So, I'm in.

In addition to flu I had some issues with bike fit and after some long drawn out negotiations with the minister for finance I have just re-financed the house and purchased some speedplay pedals and Sidi shoes (as the cleats on my others were starting to pull through the sole).

HOWEVER, before we get to the first Crit (only run once a month on Sunday mornings at a local club) the weight has ballooned again to the 101kg mark (damn you caramel slice!). So the tough work started today with the advent of some rainy weather, I set the trainer up and did the short FTP test on Zwift and achieved a calculated FTP of 251w. Ok I think? considering I have not done any structured training as yet. So the plan, drop the caramel slice and start some tough work, I'll sort the weight and get a structured plan up and running and see how I go. Until Christmas that is.... oh and the second little rug rat joins us in March :o

Happy riding!