Help please

TheKaptone

Re: Help please

Postby TheKaptone » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:30 am

Brilliant effort mate. Been great to read your progress. Doing a but of weight lose myself so you have given me that kick to push a bit harder again

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:51 am

Great work. Zwift is good fun, I constantly find myself trying far harder than I would on my old trainer set up.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:52 pm

mhughe15 wrote:Update: I have achieved a few milestones in the last week or so.

The last two Saturdays I have joined a social group ride. These rides saw me ride over 50km and 70km respectively, both flat - less than 300m elevation each but it's very satisfying to start to go for longer rides (and I am doing it quite easy).

I also cracked the 100kg mark last week. Currently sitting at 98kg tonight (total loss of 14kg, <90kg here I come!). Thanks in the most part to managing what I eat with the calorie counter app and just consistent time on the bike.

I have found my new indoor trainer/Zwift set-up unbelievable in helping to me to maintain the consistency week in week out, particularly when I miss the morning ride because of weather or other commitments. Now I can always just jump on the trainer whenever I have spare time and make up the time that I would have otherwise previously lost without the option of a trainer. I am also seeing the results from the harder sustained efforts on the trainer once I get out on the road. My average speed on the flats has picked up, small climbs/ hills are quickly becoming less of a problem and my legs are going for MUCH longer before they say no more on the hills whether seated or standing (even though there is always room for improvement).

Mick
8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Further update: Weight loss has flatlined during the last fortnight after a few days visiting my wives family. The break did give me a few much needed days rest from the bike (as much as I didn't want to). Staying with her Nan we also certainly didn't starve! I've been told that this means she likes me ;)

So back home for a few days now and I have been training for the Brisbane to Gold Coast ride (only just signed up today) with my usual Saturday morning group - 2 rides in the last 3 days of 79km and 89km respectively has really let me see that the weight loss and fitness is really opening more doors for me and is a great motivator. However, I have found just how sapping the heat can be after really only riding through winter up until now...

So back into routine with work tomorrow and hopefully 90kg here I come! (10 weeks give or take till Christmas).

I am also stoked about total kms for the year currently standing at 1952km (almost double what I was aiming for at the start of the year - new goal is 3000km (AT) 100km/week).

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:17 pm

Well done on your effort so far! I agree with what you say about the heat just sapping any energy out of you on the bike. Just remember to keep your fluids up. Often I don't physically want/feel like I need to drink when riding in the heat, but I force myself to take a gulp of water every 5-10 minutes just to keep hydrated. If I don't do this, I feel terrible, cramp up and get dizzy - not a good feeling on the bike!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Another update:
Weight is holding at 97kg or so (I am back to enjoying my food rather than watching what I eat as strictly as I was when I first started) but am still changing my body shape for the better.
Should reach 2,500km for the year this week although the weather is trying its best to slow me down a bit (although I do have the Kickr and Zwift)
Averaging 180km over 7hrs a week (for the past 4 weeks) so pretty happy with that. Goal from here till new year is 150km per week.

I completed the my first century ride ever this month (didn't think I would be doing this this year) by completing the 100km Brisbane to Gold Coast on the 18th Oct and absolutely loved it! Went up on a bus trip with the social group I have been riding with for the past couple of months - had blast staying close to the start and heading down to a pub at Southbank for some tea and light refreshments the night before. The first part of the ride on the busway was awesome, such a smooth ride compared to the rough local roads here around home. It really opened my eyes to see how fit some riders out there really are and the camaraderie out there, having a chat along the way with whoever I ended up riding next to (our group split because of the sheer numbers of riders and simply regrouped at the rest stops). The last 20km with the head winds as the ride approached Southport were a bit testing and I was glad to do that after we regrouped at 80km to stick together for the last part of the ride. Definitely do it again and also looking at the next test (go for an even longer ride - maybe more hills).

Finally, I just completed my first ever FTP test (short 20min on Zwift) and ended up with an FTP of 233. I'm not really planning on using FTP to train too much, was just interested in the process. I wasn't sure how to approach it so just went on feel and keeping an eye on my average watts and trying to up the effort a little every 5 mins. The last 5 mins seemed to go for a loooooong time!

Mick

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:25 am

Has no one yet suggested or checked what gears you're running? If you want to climb hills in your current state (fitness/size), go compact (34/50) and at least a 28 on the back if you can. It will really help on the hills.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:47 am

mhughe15 wrote:Finally, I just completed my first ever FTP test (short 20min on Zwift) and ended up with an FTP of 233. I'm not really planning on using FTP to train too much, was just interested in the process. I wasn't sure how to approach it so just went on feel and keeping an eye on my average watts and trying to up the effort a little every 5 mins. The last 5 mins seemed to go for a loooooong time!

Mick
You did it exactly the right way!

One mistake people make is having a target and then going out at the target watts from the start, then they blow up at 10-15min and end up falling short of what they wanted to get. First 10 minutes you do below the target watts at a comfortable level, then from 10-20min you gradually pick it up, the last five minutes is really doing it almost flat out, and the last minute is certain everything you can give.

The other trick is keeping the RPM up - if your RPM drops too low, your legs will probably start burning up.

One other thing that works well is intervals of say 5-10min at 65rpm cadence. If your FTP is 233w, then do them at 200-205w. Do 5 of them, with about 4-5min at 110-120w in between each 5 minute block. 2-3 of those each week for about 3-4 weeks and you'll notice the changes. As you get better with them, you can do them at slightly higher watts.

Then when you get around to doing another test at normal RPM of 90-100rpm, you'll probably find that it doesn't feel as hard.

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:19 pm

GAV!N wrote:Has no one yet suggested or checked what gears you're running? If you want to climb hills in your current state (fitness/size), go compact (34/50) and at least a 28 on the back if you can. It will really help on the hills.
I am running a 34/50 on the front and have easier gears in store on the rear compared to others I ride with when we hit the hills. The hills are just a matter of continually improving my fitness, technique (seated and standing) and mental strength (which used to be good 6-7 years ago before I had a run of rugby injuries at my peak fitness before having to give the playing away for good). Since then I haven't really done too much before taking up the riding this year... So at this stage I am soley focussed on learning how to ride and build the best cycling body, considering I didn't start with anything too flash (I also realise it wasn't the worst either).... Pretty much just enjoying the 'ride'

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:39 am

Cool. Your FTP test, was that just on Kickr or something? Or do you have a power meter on your bike??

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:02 pm

GAV!N wrote:Cool. Your FTP test, was that just on Kickr or something? Or do you have a power meter on your bike??
Yeah got a Kickr a few months ago to help with consitant riding each week (particularly when weather is bad - local roads are a bit rough, even worse in the wet). Kickr and Zwift is a lot more motivating than trainer and numbers/lines on a screen!

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:00 am

I tend to disagree, but I don't have a Kickr so the experience is a little different for me. I find using TrainerRoad a lot better than Zwift for training. Zwift is too much go at your own pace style. when you have specific numbers to hit for a certain amount of time I find I can push a lot harder. Just personal preference :)

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Update: Gave the riding and weight loss a bit of a kickstart again this week by tagging along with with some fitter than fit guys (very grateful of them to have me along) from around town who do a lot more kms per week than other groups I have been with, down to 96kg this morning :) Hoping to join regularly from now on to help raise the bar again (for myself) as they average 50-60kms on 3 early morning rides a week with a quicker average pace and more elevation.

Also, first repairs this week after a broken spoke on my Saturday group ride and was told to take the bike to the local 'guru' (according to both groups I ride with). When picking up the bike, the guru got me on it to have a look and said my fit on the bike is far from perfect, not something I was expecting considering I have only had the bike for 10 months and had a 'fit' when I purchased it... I haven't had any niggles apart from saddle soreness in the beginning which went long ago... I was a bit cautious as he thinks the bike was a bad fit from the start given my height and the bike having a compact frame. Bells started ringing *upsell* so sought some further advice and turns out his reputation is very good and honest. So looks like I'm heading back for a 'full fit' with him tomorrow and who knows after that....

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 pm

Broke 95kg today, really stoked!!! The longer morning rides during the week seem to have kick started my fitness again. I am starting to dramatically improve some of my times up the hills around home on the longer Saturday morning rides as well which is awesome considering at the start of the year I avoided hills like the plague (I am actually starting to enjoy them a little - most are a constant 6% or so for 5-6km though so nothing too 'tough').

Also, the biggest motivator has been an upgrade yesterday. I have been extremely lucky (looked after by the fellow at the LBS) to pick up a second hand Scott Foil and had my first ride on it this morning and was blown away with how good it felt due to the quality of the bike and better fit! It's definitely a bike I could never in my dreams have been able to afford brand new, so pretty happy with it. Hopefully many more kms to come!

I am also starting to look at a training plan rather than simply riding during the week to build fitness and power as I lose the weight now.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Tons of good training plans out there that you get through Strava and TrainerRoad subscriptions and suchlike, give one of their basic plans a go and see what it does for you. Might be good, might not. With the Kickr at least you'll be able to do a really good quality interval session if the program calls for it.

Well done Hughesy!

paul85

Postby paul85 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Hey mhughe have you get an update I have enjoyed reading about your progress. Cheers

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:34 pm

It's been a while since I last updated. My weight reached 93kg at its lowest (about 1 months ago) which has been fantastic but it's now risen again to around 96/97kg. I was in a world of pain (legs were just plain sore for about a month) on a usual Saturday ride (including some nice hills and fast flats) a week or two ago. After a long couple of months of just your usual busy life, work stress and new bub lack of sleep etc everything had built up and my body was saying enough is enough. So today, after a good week totally away from the bike and catching up on sleep (as best as I can) I have really learnt the value of listening to the body and getting some good rest and recovery despite not necessarily wanting to - a few days off the bike feels like months!!!

So back to it this week, a lot more cautious and willing to listen to the body. I am now considering starting a training plan to help reach my goal of 90kg. It'll probably involve more fork control than changing my riding habits though...

One question I have though is, do people tend to train to their strengths or weaknesses in cycling? I have been told by some that you train to your strengths and that'll improve your weaknesses, other have said train weaknesses and your strengths will take care of themselves. I am now thinking of getting in to road racing in 2017 by setting myself up as best as possible...

Cheers Mick

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon May 09, 2016 3:40 pm

mhughe15 wrote:
One question I have though is, do people tend to train to their strengths or weaknesses in cycling?
I think it goes something like train your weaknesses and race to your strengths?
Either way doesn't really matter, what matters is that you always keep in mind that A GOOD CYCLIST IS AN ALL ROUND CYCLIST. Unfortunately too much TV watching has the average punter categorising themselves as "a sprinter' "a climber" "a time trialler" and so forth. The really great riders have no weaknesses and they certainly have not limited what they do and don't do in a race according to some preconceived ideas.
When training, make sure you have a well rounded plan with lots of variety. Work on your weaknesses in a targeted and specific way. Doesn't hurt to keep practising the things you are good at too.
Re racing in 2017, no matter what you do you will not be ready for it or good enough. You will get your sweet ahhh handed to you for a few months, whether you start now or in 2019. Nothing makes you improve like racing. You will adapt and learn from your mistakes and climb up the grades. You will be shown where your REAL weaknesses are, not your perceived ones. And you will be hooked on the adrenaline drug.

softy

Postby softy » Mon May 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Fantastic work so far but to get those last kilos off have you thought about diet? I know this maybe controversial, but, switching to carbs, lowering your fat ie, milk and meat, helps increase energy and lower your body weight.

Basically scoff down fruits and veggie and minimise milk and meat.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 am

softy wrote:Fantastic work so far but to get those last kilos off have you thought about diet? I know this maybe controversial, but, switching to carbs, lowering your fat ie, milk and meat, helps increase energy and lower your body weight.

Basically scoff down fruits and veggie and minimise milk and meat.
Theoretically this may work. That has been my diet for many years and hasn't helped managed weight. Portion control, increased training and reducing carbs has helped more.

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone, very much appreciated. So to help me get better I looking at following a structured training program to improve my overall cycling, mainly during group rides at the moment.

So, I have a Wahoo Kickr, Zwift and can manage roughly 5 rides a week. I am looking at 2x1 to 1.5 hour trainer sessions during the week on top of my usual 40km Friday morning group ride and an 80-100km Saturday morning group ride. I can add an extra trainer ride during the week or on Sunday OR go on a tough (for me) Sunday group ride. So is an FTP build plan (Zwift) somewhere to start to add structure to my mid week trainer sessions?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:44 pm

So your plan is 1. Trainer sessions and 2. Group rides
Nothing wrong with that. I like what you are doing and since you are not racing, it really doesn't matter what you do. You will improve because you are riding your bike.
Group rides have lots of advantages, they are a heck of a lot of fun, you are safe, you are riding at a pace which you have not chosen, which has a lot of benefits. But there are also negatives (training wise) associated with bunch rides also.
Rather than a third bunch ride or a third trainer session, why not do something different? Riding by yourself gives you limitless possibilities. You could have a specific ride where you specifically work on the aspects that need work. It could be a hilly ride, some sprint efforts, TT efforts, whatever.
Something to think about.

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:47 am

Well, it's been a little while so thought I'd post again. After a good couple of consistent weeks of riding I was hit hard by the flu 8 days ago and have been been in recovery mode for the last 5 days. I used this time to put the bike in for a long over due 'proper' service knowing the chain was pretty stretched (should have replaced it at least a fortnight ago). Turns out I should have replaced it even earlier and I needed to also replace the rear cluster.

So I got the bike back on Wednesday and having a pretty tough week with flu, work and sleepless nights with bub I missed the easy Friday ride (listening to the body much more these days, as keen as I was for a ride I ignored the alarm and slept in. However I finally got back on the bike this (Saturday) morning for my first ride in 10 days. It's amazing how 10 days feels like months! It was soooooo good to be back on the bike and that really says something when the avg temp for the ride was 7.6 degrees C and it was blowing an absolute gale.

All in all, I think the ride was pretty cruisy today and the extended break may have freshened me a little because some of the other fellas mentioned how much of a slog it was for them.

As far as weight goes, it's back to the drawing board as I really did eat the house down while I was suffering from the flu and am back to 98kg.... :shock:

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:17 pm

I also put on weight with the flu - usually 2-3 kgs. Takes about 6 weeks to ride it off. Had pneumonia last winter. Lost weight with that, but don't want it again. Awful bloody thing.

mhughe15

Postby mhughe15 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:59 pm

Yeah, I didn't quite suffer that much but it's definitely flu season now and going around.