Indoor Training: How effective is it?

DG1984

Re: Indoor Training: How effective is it?

Postby DG1984 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:48 am

GJM wrote:Fair to say that I've taken to indoor training like a duck to water since starting this thread. I'm pretty sure I know what I got wrong last winter and am happy with progress over the past few months. Very happy. I reckon I now know the limitations of indoor training but also the strengths. Will know for sure in the spring :)
What kind of workouts are you doing?

GJM

Postby GJM » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am

I have a very clear target race for the year and while it's a stage race it's basically a 3 day FTP test in a way.
So I do a lot of 2 x 20 and 3 x 15 at above FTP as well as 1 and 2 hour 90% FTP efforts.
I use Trainerroad too and throw in as many Solomons (a Trainerroad workout) as I can stomach.
I do some other stuff but that's the foundation I work around.

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:24 pm

I haven't been into specific training for very long, so hopefully someone with more experience can clarify. But I believe:

1. Doing 2x 20 and 3x 15 at outputs above FTP indicates you are not training your Aerobic system (as these workouts are typically designed to do). When working above FTP, you are pushing into your Anaerobic system and thus are dragging your FTP up rather than pushing it up. Your'e basically doing multiple FTP tests every session, which is typically unsustainable and can lead to injury - not to mention a LOT of short term suffering! ;)

2. Doing 1h and 2h sessions completely at 90% FTP indicates that you probably need to retest your FTP? I know that if I was aiming to do a 1-2h session at constant output, I'd only be aiming to do 75-85% FTP...

Although, if your FTP is out by a bit, that would explain a lot...

Don't want to detract from your training, just my 2c!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:24 pm

I've resisted indoor training for years but have finally succumbed this winter and am doing 2-3 a week.

I struggle mentally with any intervals > 5 mins. I can smack out 5 x 5 mins. by breaking them up mentally, but I don't know how people can do 20 min. sessions on a trainer. some people are under-quoting their FTP to cope, but if you're not then I doffs my cap to you.

OTOH I'm fine smashing out 20 min. anerobic sessions up a hill.

I have found that the intensity of indoors sessions has helped me. bunch rides can be good - but you need to do the right ones. some are glorified coffee rides, and others are genuine smash fests.

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Intervals are fantastic on the trainer. The masochist in me loves flying 40's. Speed pyramids are a rollercoaster of emotion, hitting that final 1 minute interval where you can give it everything simply because it's not a 4 minute interval any more. :lol:

I can't get into Zwift, I think it really needs a smart trainer to get the most out of due to the inclines etc. Intervals at least let you chunk the work load, you know the suffering will soon be over and respite is just around the corner...only to begin again shortly afterwards.

cerb

Postby cerb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:49 am

I have been getting into Zwift - two sessions in the last two days! It's nice breaking up the monoteny of specific interval sessions on TR. However, I've only got a month of free Zwift left, then it'll be time to get back into specific structured sessions in preparation for crit season!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:54 pm

jules21 wrote:I've resisted indoor training for years but have finally succumbed this winter and am doing 2-3 a week.

I struggle mentally with any intervals > 5 mins. I can smack out 5 x 5 mins. by breaking them up mentally, but I don't know how people can do 20 min. sessions on a trainer. some people are under-quoting their FTP to cope, but if you're not then I doffs my cap to you.

OTOH I'm fine smashing out 20 min. anerobic sessions up a hill.

I have found that the intensity of indoors sessions has helped me. bunch rides can be good - but you need to do the right ones. some are glorified coffee rides, and others are genuine smash fests.
I think there are just some people with massive engines who can just push out big power for a long time (eg, 3 hours).

I think on a real hill outdoors, 20mins would be easier due to moving around more. Trainer rides are not the most comfortable.