Pedaling technique?!? Is it scientifically proven?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Pedaling technique?!? Is it scientifically proven?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon May 16, 2016 7:00 am

eeksll wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Somewhat serendipitously, this old image popped up in my facebook feed today: ...
nothing serendipitous about it, facebook/google/... are literally that "good" at it :|
More serendipity than FB predictive algorithm, as it was one of those "on this day X years ago you..." pop ups. IOW had it not been that particular day of year, it would not have occurred.

trailgumby

Re: Pedaling technique?!? Is it scientifically proven?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:41 am

On the value of left/right power split statistics, their measurement basis and usefulness:

It's been long overdue (for a variety of reasons) but last weekend during Sydney's foul weather I did a trainer session that included some single leg drills.

My P2M crank spider power meter gives an inferred left-right split based (in simple terms) on which crank arm is forward.

For roughly the same rate of perceived exertion, I was getting mid-70s/mid20s right/left split percentage from right side only pedalling, with left foot completely off the pedal and resting on the trainer.

On the left leg I was getting low 60s/high 30s left /right power split percentage, again with the non-pedalling foot resting on the trainer.

Due to a known right-side dominance, in addition to off-the-bike training to improve the recruitment issues I have with my left side glute, I have been attempting to make sure I balance left-right split under hard efforts (hill repeats) in the hope that doing so would contribute some towards mitigating the tendency towards reinjury of a weak left side SIJ that is a recurring theme in my cycling life. Not sure if it has achieved that, but now I have tendon irritation either side of my left knee.

After those results I think I'll just remove that field from my Garmin display. :|