LTHR Training Zones, which method?

cjrich

LTHR Training Zones, which method?

Postby cjrich » Tue May 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi all
I recently purchased a Garmin Edge 520 which allows 5 custom Heart Rate zones. I know my LTHR so entered the 5 zones into my Garmin based on the Andy Coggan method off Training Peaks (see TP selections below). Just wondering what other zone method people use when training with LTHR, ie Joe Friel or other?
Cheers
CJ

CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Tim

Re: LTHR Training Zones, which method?

Postby Tim » Tue May 03, 2016 2:38 pm

With my new 520 (and older Garmin's) I just stick to percentage of maximum heart rate zones.
My lactate threshold is about 82- 84% of my max heart rate. I know this from basic 40km time trialing at maximum effort. 84% is the highest average heart rate I can hold for about an hour (or a bit more) as per one of Joe Friel's methods of calculating LTHR.
Not very scientific but good enough for me.
I train/cruise in zone 2 (Avg) and then gun it in zone 4 (Avg) once or twice a week for an hour or more, if I'm capable.
Again, not very scientific but it works for me and I can beat most of the other old farts I ride with. :D

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Tim wrote: My lactate threshold is about 82- 84% of my max heart rate. I know this from basic 40km time trialing at maximum effort.
Hmmmm
My lactate threshold was 92% of max.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue May 03, 2016 2:59 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Hmmmm
I never said it was scientific. :D
Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough on my home circuit TT course. It was quite a few years ago. I might have had a late night. :D
You can hold 92% max HR for an hour? Crikey.
Actually, I just cruise around gently with a couple of little squirts 4 or 5 times a week, and then go nuts once or twice a week with some mates. Science never was my specialty. :D
The Garmin's just a flashy accessory for me that goes beep all the time, and then shuts down of it's own accord. :D

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue May 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Tim wrote: My lactate threshold is about 82- 84% of my max heart rate. I know this from basic 40km time trialing at maximum effort.
Hmmmm
You're sort of both right - mainly because the concept of threshold is a bit fuzzy and with many definitions.

Lactate Threshold is not a measure of heart rate, so that can add to the confusion.

LT is a measure of the power output at which blood lactate levels rise up 1 mmol/l above baseline values (typically to ~2.x mmol/l) during testing under a specific protocol. This corresponds to an intensity that a fit rider could sustain for several hours and is typically 10-15% lower power than what one might sustain during say a time trial of say 25-40km. Accordingly, the HR one experiences at LT will be somewhat lower than what one would experience for a TT. At the LT power level, cardiac drift may or may not occur, depending of duration, fatigue and fitness level and other factors like hydration, heat etc.

Threshold in the sense that many use it (e.g. Functional Threshold Power), a level that most cyclists equate to a sensation of "threshold" equates to a power/effort level that one could sustain for ~40-60 minutes or thereabouts or say a 40km TT. In a blood lactate sense, it's also a level know as Maximal Lactate Steady State and blood lactate levels during such an effort are often much higher than at LT, anything from 3 to 8 mmol/l and sometiems higher (varies significantly by individual). HR during such efforts is not static but will be within a band (88-93% of MHR is pretty normal). Cardiac drift is typical during such an effort level and HR can be lower than range to begin with and go above range during latter stages. If HR remains constant during such an effort, it's likely that power is gradually falling.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue May 03, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks for that Alex.
I had very simplistically and incorrectly thought that lactate threshold was a level of exertion that I could maintain for an hour or so (40km) without blowing up.
Sounds as though this level is more akin to FTP, sort of. You say that 88-93% MHR for an hour or 40km's is quite normal. That puts my 82-84% effort to shame. You've set me a TT challenge for this coming weekend.
As I said earlier, my approach to riding is pretty casual though there has been an appreciable improvement over the last few years and I do find the technicality and science of training quite interesting.
I'm not racing and rely mostly on a Recognition of Perceived Effort type method which combined with the Garmin's five %MaxHR zones works fairly well, for my purposes ie. beating old farts (and one or two a decade or two younger than me) :D .
Not sure any of this helps the OP'er though.