Power Meters in the Cold

rogan

Power Meters in the Cold

Postby rogan » Fri May 13, 2016 12:38 pm

Both my power recording devices (Stages and Kickr) seem to be recording high. Not spectacularly high, but certainly 10-15% above where I think I should be. It shows up on climbs, where near record 10 minute power gets me a decent but not spectacular time on familiar climbs, and also on Zwift Island, where I'm blitzing PRs for segments and sustained power from 15 to 30 minutes without going to my physiological limit (as measured by HR and "feel").

I've done spindowns and recalibration on both. And to be clear, there is no reason for thinking my recent sporadic and inconsistent training would have kicked my form along.

But is it possible that the recent colder weather is affecting both meters, and to a similar degree?

g-boaf

Re: Power Meters in the Cold

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 13, 2016 12:49 pm

I did a Google search and came across this:

http://stagescycling.com/global/news/th ... wer-meter/

However it is on the manufacturer's website - so I immediately think advertising propaganda. Another topic:

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1627020

I haven't noticed it on my stages (the original type) in colder weather. I have seen it vary, but I haven't been able to pinpoint a particular reason. So I go off the HR instead.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Power Meters in the Cold

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri May 13, 2016 10:07 pm

rogan wrote:Both my power recording devices (Stages and Kickr) seem to be recording high. Not spectacularly high, but certainly 10-15% above where I think I should be. It shows up on climbs, where near record 10 minute power gets me a decent but not spectacular time on familiar climbs, and also on Zwift Island, where I'm blitzing PRs for segments and sustained power from 15 to 30 minutes without going to my physiological limit (as measured by HR and "feel").

I've done spindowns and recalibration on both. And to be clear, there is no reason for thinking my recent sporadic and inconsistent training would have kicked my form along.

But is it possible that the recent colder weather is affecting both meters, and to a similar degree?
Have you validated the calibration of each?

I think your testing methodology needs to be more robust before deciding whether the numbers are out.